Flyers Vs Devils - League - 19th March 22

Mazzoak

I'm assuming that this has to be some sort of budget issue given that Dupont and lammon are still on the books, and of course mikkelson and McNulty would still have to be paid. I don't know whether we have insurance to cover the wages of injured players. The other possibility is that we tried to get replacements, but no one suitable was available - which seems unlikely. Given that the league has been gone for a while, maybe they took a gamble on the cup and are hoping they'll be fit for the play offs.
Depends ultimately on 2 things, ambition and finances. For me both have been missing this year because of financial issues. It’s that simple. If we see expensive players coming in for the playoffs, then I’m wrong and happy to be because that will improve our performance, hopefully. For what it’s worth I’d keep the money and spend spend spend on 22/23 this year isn’t worth it.

BostonBart22

We been having full houses more this season than last season, can't see an issue with finances, when mc. nulty got injured then mikkleson the writing was on the wall 1 or both were not gonna make the cup final and now heard mikkleson out for season, surely we could've got a player in short term for at least 1 of them as cover, look at brandt he's prob on a same wage as a brit and look what he's achieved with us, 1 more D will help to the end of season but 4D THE SEASON WILL BE OVER PRETTY SOON .

Mazzoak

I was being facetious. For what it's worth I agree. The Steelers have a lot of firepower, but their poor netminding has been their Achilles heel. Our slowness in solving our obvious flaws was ours.
Sheffield will be looking at equaling our netminding next year, Carruth will be on their shopping list for sure.

Mazzoak

We been having full houses more this season than last season, can't see an issue with finances, when mc. nulty got injured then mikkleson the writing was on the wall 1 or both were not gonna make the cup final and now heard mikkleson out for season, surely we could've got a player in short term for at least 1 of them as cover, look at brandt he's prob on a same wage as a brit and look what he's achieved with us, 1 more D will help to the end of season but 4D THE SEASON WILL BE OVER PRETTY SOON .
I‘d be pretty surprised if I’m as critical next yr as this, we are in a good spot as I don't believe we need to change much. Our set up this yr has exceeded expectations and fan attendance as you say is very strong. The only issues l can foresee next year is potentially the cost of living causing less numbers, energy costs to the Council forcing them to rethink the Devils contract, making ticket price increases and the top teams spending more. If Sheffield, Belfast & Nottingham spend big we‘ve got to either match it or do another punt and go with what we can afford and hope we compete.

there isn't a transfer deadline as guildford signed an import forward on the 16 th march.i agree with bostonbart 22 that if we have only 4 d we won't make it to the semi finals.i don't know why were not signing replacements but if sheffield and belfast were down to 4 d they would have replacements in within a week.we are not keeping up with the big boys this season and it'll cost us any chance of silverware.

Devil94

there isn't a transfer deadline as guildford signed an import forward on the 16 th march.i agree with bostonbart 22 that if we have only 4 d we won't make it to the semi finals.i don't know why were not signing replacements but if sheffield and belfast were down to 4 d they would have replacements in within a week.we are not keeping up with the big boys this season and it'll cost us any chance of silverware.
The deadline was March 1st. Guildford completed the paperwork to the league before this date, but announced him later as they were still sorting out his visa.

ASHIPP

we still had time to bring in at least one d man after mcnulty got injured on the 23rd february and mikkelson was playing through injury.we did'nt and it will cost us silverware this season.lets hope everything goes back to pre covid for next season.[/QUOTE

We do not know the reasons for an additional player not being brought in. It's pure guesswork whether it was financial,lack of the right type of player etc.

As for costing the Team some silverware in the CC...again we will never really know. Devils took the Giants into overtime whilst shortbenched. But it's possible that either team could have scored first.

Next season it would be great to see a relaxation in roster number restrictions and the signing of players during the season. There is no doubt that smaller roster numbers this season have been one factor in the injury and shortbench situation. Good teams are not losing games because they are playing badly......they are simply shortbenched and fatigued.

steelers have got 16 imports and thats not counting connelly and todd plus 8 brits.we haven't got enough for a full roster now nevermind spares.last week mosey got injured in the friday game against belfast but on saturday they still had 14 imports.either they've broken the rules or every team can sign as many players as they like.

Swarley

steelers have got 16 imports and thats not counting connelly and todd plus 8 brits.we haven't got enough for a full roster now nevermind spares.last week mosey got injured in the friday game against belfast but on saturday they still had 14 imports.either they've broken the rules or every team can sign as many players as they like.
There was a handshake agreement at the start of the season which Sheffield pretty much broke the first chance they could, the league definitely lost credibility this year because rules are flat out ignored and agreements are broken to suit each teams wallet.

matbur

Haven't been paying attention to their line-ups, but if what you are saying is correct, then there seriously needs to be some accountability taken from the league and Sheffield themselves.

kingmo19.1

There was a handshake agreement at the start of the season which Sheffield pretty much broke the first chance they could, the league definitely lost credibility this year because rules are flat out ignored and agreements are broken to suit each teams wallet.
If that was the case then it makes the EIHL looks very bush league! Begs the question why wasn’t this put in writing? Would you trust a Steelers handshake?

They should be docked points for that sort of behaviour - makes a mockery of the league.