Flyers Vs Devils - League - 19th March 22

Mazzoak

Maybe I’m being a bit thick, but if you’re game roster is 19 players and you’re allowed to have 28 players then you’ve always got spares. Now if one club signs 28 and another signs 21, that’s not a rule issue, that’s either stupidity, lack of money or my old favourite no ambition. Yet further evidence that action speaks louder than words..........

pjj365

Maybe I’m being a bit thick, but if you’re game roster is 19 players and you’re allowed to have 28 players then you’ve always got spares. Now if one club signs 28 and another signs 21, that’s not a rule issue, that’s either stupidity, lack of money or my old favourite no ambition. Yet further evidence that action speaks louder than words..........
We have 26 plus IIRC a couple of 2 ways

we were told 19 man squad and you can only sign imports if they are replacing injured players in the summer.what happend with that im not quite sure.plus teams were also supposed to be working to a cap on spending.it looks like the devils have kept to this agreement.

Last edited:

terry hunt

We have Dupont who has not figured much this season.
How many games have we lost players due to suspensions.
Lots of walking wounded this season.

Swarley

If that was the case then it makes the EIHL looks very bush league! Begs the question why wasn’t this put in writing? Would you trust a Steelers handshake?

They should be docked points for that sort of behaviour - makes a mockery of the league.

They should of been docked points with the deluca incident but that got swept under the rug and forgotten pretty quickly.

I'm losing faith that this league will ever be anything more than a boy club for rich idiots, our owners and club excluded as they seem to be the only ones who actually keep to agreements.

Mazzoak

They should of been docked points with the deluca incident but that got swept under the rug and forgotten pretty quickly.

I'm losing faith that this league will ever be anything more than a boy club for rich idiots, our owners and club excluded as they seem to be the only ones who actually keep to agreements.
This league is a business and it’s run for their own gains, PR isn’t great and because of its size it’s run by club owners & within the country nobody really cares.

kettdevil1

Sorry if I have missed this but where are we with Mikkelsen, McNulty and Duggan? As Pembo says, it was thought Lammon would be back for the playoffs but I seem to have missed new on the other three

SteveKing

Just to clarify on the rules as I have been told, a team can't just have "spares" above the 19 player limit. The only way you can bring in another player is to replace one that has been placed on the long term injured list. So in our case, we had Lammon and Dupont that fit that category so we brought in Coughler and Brandt. We didn't expect McNulty's or Mikkelson's injuries to be as long term as they ended up being so we were never in a position to look for another player - and it would have been impossible because you'd have to convince a player to sign with the knowledge that they'd be off the roster as soon as the injured player is fit to play.

So no, Mazzoak, it does not speak to intent. It speaks to the rules that we have been given to abide by. Thanks though.

Wannabe2

So that explains that situation, when we needed to replace we did with 2 awesome players, the other situation was unfortunate but unforeseen at the time. Let’s hope we get a few back in the next few weeks, in the meantime let’s enjoy what we have it’s a long off season. In the meantime this is the only club where the governor comes on our forum to explain first hand the situation to us all, and that’s pretty neat, don’t you think.

Gisland

Just to clarify on the rules as I have been told, a team can't just have "spares" above the 19 player limit. The only way you can bring in another player is to replace one that has been placed on the long term injured list. So in our case, we had Lammon and Dupont that fit that category so we brought in Coughler and Brandt. We didn't expect McNulty's or Mikkelson's injuries to be as long term as they ended up being so we were never in a position to look for another player - and it would have been impossible because you'd have to convince a player to sign with the knowledge that they'd be off the roster as soon as the injured player is fit to play.

Thanks Steve. As a Giants fan can you clarify if the Giants, naming 19 on a game night, however having 25 on the "payroll", have not remained within the rules set down by the EIHL. I am not stirring the pot just a genuine question from another fanbase looking for some clarity. Was taken aback when Mullens was announced as we would have then had the full 19 fit players.

Mazzoak

So no, Mazzoak, it does not speak to intent. It speaks to the rules that we have been given to abide by. Thanks though.
I was referring to the original squad size to bring in at the start of a season, players will always pick up injures during a season. So signing up to the permissible number allowed, that being 28 players would indicate intent, as others have.

Gisland

I was referring to the original squad size to bring in at the start of a season, players will always pick up injures during a season. So signing up to the permissible number allowed, that being 28 players would indicate intent, as others have.
So you can have 28 players registered, the permissible maximum allowed. If say RAINE is injured tomorrow long term, Mullens would slot into the team for thenext game. So no rules are broken. Or am I still missing something / being over-simplistic?

Diablo3

I thought that although the original agreement was for a maximum of 28, the clubs agreed to reduce that to 19 just in case covid shut everything down again.