Flyers Vs Devils - League - 7th Nov 21

bb1

We are all passionate here and all love the club. Some of our posts may prove to be an overreaction in a couple of weeks time but I really think we are a couple of players away from being a very ,very good hockey team and title contenders. Most guys are trying hard but we can't afford the passengers that we have seen from the start as the top team contenders look too strong.

moggy#9

Yeah I agree. I also find some of the questioning at times a bit childlike. Surprised they haven’t asked him what his favourite pizza topping is yet. Let’s have a one to one for 10 minutes with somebody sat there actually asking questions face to face
It's a difficult thing to pitch interview questions right. Obviously there's a need to have some interest there, but there has to be a certain amount of respect for the interviewee and the club they represent.

I was fortunate in the 90s to be given the opportunity to interview quite a few players from the devils and other teams for the match programme. But I can't remember ever having to touch on anything controversial. I remember one player asking me to embargo some of his comments, and I was happy to seek approval before sending them of for publication. There has to be that sort of two way respect for the process to work.

Kevlar68

If new blood is a possibility then the club should have the contacts to bring in the right player. I don't believe delving into the club's past is the answer. Time passes and players aren't likely to be the same as they're remembered. Otherwise we might as well see what Doug mcwen and Ivan matulik are doing. ;-)
Totally agree with not going back.
We all have the memories of players past on how they played then, that doesn't mean they are that same player now.
Even if we did go back what are we meant to do play them until they're in their 40's?
We were always going to have to change the team at some point sooner or later.
Our problem is we have one out and out goal scorer, Reid with 9, that's it then its Waller and Sanford with 2.
Other teams in the league have got 4 maybe 5 players chipping in with goals:

League
Steelers top five scorers have goals 6,4,4,4,3
Guildford top five scorers have goals 5,4,4,3,3
Panthers top five scorers have goals 4,4,3,2,2
Devils top five scorers have goals 9,2,2,1,1

And if we're looking at going back, stats at the moment:

Martin (G.O.A.T) has 4 in 15 and 12pts in 15, Reid 9 in 7 and 10pts in 7
Fournier has 2 in 17 and 5pts in 17, Mikkelson 1 in 7 and 2pts in 7

yes the leagues are different and can't compare but the stats are there, are they not the players they used to be?
That's not to say they still couldn't do a good job for us but time has moved on so it may not be the job we remember.

Another thing I've noticed from Block 4 is we seem to want to walk it in to the net, stupid amount of passes to get it to a player who's just outside the crease instead of snapshot and looking for the lose puck off the netminder or player, wasted so many power plays just running down time with basic passes not killer passes.

All teams will never have greatness forever, rebuilds will always be needed at some point.

Fridayfingers you ain’t got a clue have you there are passionate fans on here expressed their frustration on the team’s performance and obviously your not one of them I would suggest you don’t read these posts if you don’t put anything thing positive on here and you surely don’t have the same passion as wannabe has for this club !
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the advice, not sure I’ll take it tho.
When I state that my wife tells me it’s only a game surely that would suggest I have got some passion, no?
No matter how much passion you have there isn’t room for swearing and abuse on a public forum of this type. People get warnings and bans for such like.
Otherwise in my post (which was slightly tongue in cheek, to try to lighten the mood) I can’t see anything I’ve said is too wide of the mark (unlike our forwards)

;)

Earnie

What we need will be hard to find at this time of year. I do not think the answer lies in historic DiDi ( with the bad tempered uncle was it?) or other has beens unless it’s Joey Martin or Haddad!!

JC23

Ps that was the 19/20 season which was the last season dido put up 'good numbers'.

Talking on power fowards and off topic what about Robert Farmer.
Farmer has played 2 games so far this season at NIHL level.

I think he dropped down due to work commitments, which would explain only two games.

Hedd Wyn John

Seems to me there are quite a few players that aren't performing
Problem is, Valdix can hardly move nowadays!
He's not the only one. I was filming the game and thought I'd got my camera on slow-mo when Register got the puck. I've said it before & I'll say it again. We've recruited a number of players based on their historic resumes & unfortunately a few of them don't appear to be at that level any more.