Flyers Vs Devils - League - 7th Nov 21

Hedd Wyn John

Have to disagree with some of this. Register is a player clocking insane minutes to cover for injuries, absences, inadequacies of other players. As a result, he's probably having to play a different role/style of game and not his natural style.

Does he look happy? No he doesn't and who can blame him. Anyone covering for other people's lack of intensity, passion, positioning etc is going to be frustrated if his own game is being curtailed.

The point is, players earn the award for All Star team selection or Best Defenceman in their leagues because they are consistently good. He's won them recently, he's won the Kelly Cup. Would you say Gleason Fournier is less of an excellent defenceman or Joey Martin less of an outstanding forward because they might be playing a different style of hockey or with less skilled players this year?
I'm not arguing with Registers achievements or his style just that he is one of the slowest skaters on the ice. I've not made any observations on whether he looks happy or not, only that I have concerns about his speed. I'd take Fournier over him any day.

Ocko

If Valdix isn’t get much ice and the opportunity to prove himself then I would assume he isn’t doing it in training either. If he’s been banging them in in training Skalde is hardly going to keep benching him is he? The decision to keep him is strange though considering he clearly isn’t in the immediate plans.

Regarding Register; I like him. He’s one of the few bright spots. Yes he could be quicker, but if he was quicker he wouldn’t be signing for the Cardiff Devils. Our D is ok to me, the forward line ups are the issue. We aren’t at the levels of having two studs in Hoth and Fournier but those were generational players for us that we might not see for a while.

Mazzoak

I think that’s my problem though Mazzoak, It wasn’t just “not rating Lord” It turned into a bizarre Vendetta. I think it’s a bit rich criticising other fans for their opinions of the current regime when you had some very strong opinions about the previous one. Whether it’s been two months or two years if it’s not good enough then people should be allowed to vent out. Skalde hasn’t even taken much criticism! It’s two or three of the players that are taking the flak.
Vendetta, Jesús Christ, just like you now, someone brings up Lord & obviously I’m going to answer with the same opinion. The only reason we are talking about Lord now on the Fife thread is because you’ve brought it up, ironically, or maybe not with the mixed bunch of “personalities“ present on the Inferno, some will then criticise me for constantly banging on about Lord..........move on, even better stay on topic.

Last edited:

Mazzoak

Mazzoaks hero Richard Madeley has been given a permanent spot on ITV's flagship morning show.
What, someone asked for evidence of a comment l made, l posted that convincing evidence, which just happened to be Richard interviewing Drakeford. l made that person look like a right melt and you take from that that Richard Madeley is my hero. I was in a conference room waiting for a zoom meeting to start, some staff had it on talking the pee out of Drakeford.

ASHIPP

I'm not arguing with Registers achievements or his style just that he is one of the slowest skaters on the ice. I've not made any observations on whether he looks happy or not, only that I have concerns about his speed. I'd take Fournier over him any day.
Register is one of the best players we have out there. His laconic style reminds me a little bit of Andrew Hotham. He has bags of strength and stamina, rarely makes mistakes... he is the one who covers for the inadequacies of other players, and, as a result, we are probably not seeing how good his real game is. Fournier and Register cannot be compared..... different players in different circumstances playing different styles on different teams.

There is a queue ahead of him that justly deserve the criticism, some whose names haven't been mentioned.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

What, someone asked for evidence of a comment l made, l posted that convincing evidence, which just happened to be Richard interviewing Drakeford. l made that person look like a right melt and you take from that that Richard Madeley is my hero. I was in a conference room waiting for a zoom meeting to start, some staff had it on talking the pee out of Drakeford.
Again read what you write

Slartibartfast

Just moving away from this Mazzoak thread for a minute :), I think Register is an absolute asset. Yes he looks a little clunky when he skates but thats because he is a big fella. He is also has a very relaxed style. You never see him rush or panic and he nearly always comes out of the corners with the puck. He oozes experience and composure. I think some misinterpret this as slow or lazy but in my opinion they have it very wrong.
Yes he makes occasional mistakes but usually when he is very tired after doing a lot of minutes.
Register is someone we should definitely hold onto.

jimmy snels

We aren't miles away but we are under sized imo and our lines are far to alike in the forwards. We are to easy to push around and to be frank simply to easy to dominate physically if teams turn it up.
I don't post anywhere near as often now days but lets be honest, we have not replaced haddad, martin or fornier in the slightest. We have down graded from our best players and then under sized the lower lines. Its a recipe for disaster to be honest.
Waller is getting smashed about as a young brit something rotten and our response is completely inadequate as we have only two players who are actually capable or even willing to defend him (mcnally and Louis). We arent holding teams to account and we can fully expect more of the same.
Not enjoying watching this at all currently and we need to change at least a couple of players imo.

Gavevs88

Those of you who are dissing Register must be mental. He's one of the most consistent guys we've had since the start of the season. Hes not the fastest skater no but he always beats his man and has a really relaxed style about his play. He rarely makes a mistake and puts up a LOT of minutes for us. We would be in an even worse place right now if it wasn't for Reggie.

Hedd Wyn John

Register is one of the best players we have out there. His laconic style reminds me a little bit of Andrew Hotham. He has bags of strength and stamina, rarely makes mistakes... he is the one who covers for the inadequacies of other players, and, as a result, we are probably not seeing how good his real game is. Fournier and Register cannot be compared..... different players in different circumstances playing different styles on different teams.

There is a queue ahead of him that justly deserve the criticism, some whose names haven't been mentioned.
If Register is one of our best players we definitely have a problem.

Hedd Wyn John

Those of you who are dissing Register must be mental. He's one of the most consistent guys we've had since the start of the season. Hes not the fastest skater no but he always beats his man and has a really relaxed style about his play. He rarely makes a mistake and puts up a LOT of minutes for us. We would be in an even worse place right now if it wasn't for Reggie.
Nah he's too slow. So many times I've seen I'm struggling to get back into position against younger speedier skaters. I'm not arguing against his skill but I'd take fournier over him any day.

terry hunt

We aren't miles away but we are under sized imo and our lines are far to alike in the forwards. We are to easy to push around and to be frank simply to easy to dominate physically if teams turn it up.
I don't post anywhere near as often now days but lets be honest, we have not replaced haddad, martin or fornier in the slightest. We have down graded from our best players and then under sized the lower lines. Its a recipe for disaster to be honest.
Waller is getting smashed about as a young brit something rotten and our response is completely inadequate as we have only two players who are actually capable or even willing to defend him (mcnally and Louis). We arent holding teams to account and we can fully expect more of the same.
Not enjoying watching this at all currently and we need to change at least a couple of players imo.
Where have you been Jimmy you have been missed

BostonBart22

Ocko

Nah he's too slow. So many times I've seen I'm struggling to get back into position against younger speedier skaters. I'm not arguing against his skill but I'd take fournier over him any day.
If you’re going to compare every D man we sign to Fournier you are going to be left very disappointed for the foreseeable future. Generational player for us that we’ll talk about for years. I wouldn’t be surprised if we never sign a player that skates like him ever again. I’m also sure that we didn’t chose to sign Register instead of him, so saying you would take Fournier over him is a pointless comparison.

Rempel16

If Register is one of our best players we definitely have a problem.
I disagree.
He is one of our best players and so he should be. He has excellent vision, always heads up on the play. He's very much like Hotham (although a long way to go to have the same impact) who also didn't have a ton of speed. In fact, Hotham's skating was pretty poor.

He's not going to be a Fournier, his skating is never going to be lightning quick, but then Fournier's NHL skating didn't mean that he had the vision of a Register, and he used his speed to get himself out of a lot of awkward situations.

Register at the moment is a victim of having probably too many minutes, and also the team being caught on the rush all too often. The run and gun style isn't going to suit him.

bb1

It has already been mentioned briefly on here......

If Dupont is injured, then being Assistant coach why is he not on the bench? He was sighted at a game recently in his suit but not near the bench. Hopefully he is ok health wise and if he is surely he should be on the bench with Skalde.

James

Administrator
Thread starter #280
It has already been mentioned briefly on here......

If Dupont is injured, then being Assistant coach why is he not on the bench? He was sighted at a game recently in his suit but not near the bench. Hopefully he is ok health wise and if he is surely he should be on the bench with Skalde.
I don't think Assistant Coach necessarily means bench coach. Franny spent time in the stands watching the team when he wasn't on the bench. It might be they feel he can get a different view on the game from the gantry or the like ?