Flyers Vs Devils - League - 7th Nov 21

Just listened to the recent 2 ales and hockey tales podcast, Mac was on there And said someone messaged him asking if his bags were packed! Who ever that was your an absolute fool !

moggy#9

Just listened to the recent 2 ales and hockey tales podcast, Mac was on there And said someone messaged him asking if his bags were packed! Who ever that was your an absolute fool !
If like to think someone doing something like that is a fan of another team trolling. That said, we do seem to have our fair share of clueless Muppets amongst our fan base.

James

Administrator
Thread starter #283
Unfortunately our fanbase has a history of piling on the netminder for any loss. Not on here fortunately. Bowns got loads of unwarranted hassle too. I suspect its one or two individuals.

Swarley

Absolutely stupid of anyone to ask him that, my actual concerns for goalies this season are zero, both our net minders are incredible, my only worry is we won't keep them next season because they will get better offers in higher leagues.

Earnie

So many good goalies in the League this season As well as ours , Coventry and Fife - we know all about them don’t we? Then the Sheffield goalie and the Belfast goalie……

Devils86

Re: Register I reckon a few more points (goals in particular, especially on the PP) and more people will appreciate his presence on the team. He's not the guy you want chasing back when you give up a rush but that's not what he would have been signed to do.

Fournier was not only a great skater but because of that he had great offensive output when he joined the play. Two different types of offensive D-men so can't really compare.

Switch out BOC for these lines and OMG!

Mikkelson- Register
Richardson - Fournier
Louis - Batch

Hedd Wyn John

If you’re going to compare every D man we sign to Fournier you are going to be left very disappointed for the foreseeable future. Generational player for us that we’ll talk about for years. I wouldn’t be surprised if we never sign a player that skates like him ever again. I’m also sure that we didn’t chose to sign Register instead of him, so saying you would take Fournier over him is a pointless comparison.
These forums are full of comparisons between player X in the current squad to player Y from years gone by - even though we're in no position to sign up a player who's long moved on or retired. That doesn't make those comparisons any less valid.

Anyway my general point is that this current Devils outfit does not appear to be as good as previous teams from say 2017-19. People might be unhappy that I've singled out Register but I think most would agree he is not as good as Fournier, who was an exceptional player . If people want me to name other players who I don't think are as good as previous players like Martin, Haddad, Mosey etc I can do so but if its going to start an argument I won't bother. I've made my point already

Deep down though I think a lot will agree that recruitment hasn't been the best this season & there are a lot of players underperforming against expectations.

Anyways thats my two cents, by all means disagree...

Hedd Wyn John

was that a twitter message or phone message?

Because if that's twitter the user should be banned for unacceptable behaviour.

moggy#9

I thought before this season started that it had a sort of 1990-91/1991-92 vibe to it. In 1990-91 we were in European competition, were filling the gap from a departing coach and we'd done some recruitment to fill the gaps left behind by the likes of the Coopers.

It was a tough ask, and ultimately Durham were too strong for us, but it did crystallise the approach of the club for the next few years.

Interestingly, I was thinking about Josh batch's defensive roll and I am starting to see some parallels with Paul heavey. In my book that's high praise as, apart from Paul heavey's capability when the gloves were dropped, he was a massively dependable stay at home defenceman.

I suppose there could also be comparisons between Derek king and BOC. King was always going to be seen as lacking compared to his predecessor.

Then in 1991-92 we had the Brad Grafton/Trent andison debacles when we tried to go in a new direction with imports and it backfired.

Food for thought?

Kevin roog

I think the problem we got if this is a rebuilding season, is how many of these players do we want back next season, unless they are all layne ulmers and spring into life in February and win us the playoffs, and the ones we want to keep like the goalies might say sod that anyway

jenks33

I like Register as well. To be honest if you look at the 8 players we’ve got back there (2 goalies and 6 Dmen) I’m quite happy with 7 of those. I think most of us agree on the player that’s the biggest concern back there.

It’s the forwards that worry me more. I think Skalde’s got his recruitment slightly wrong and I’m not sure we’ve got the personnel to drastically change the tactics.

Mazzoak

I’d love to hear the response, although the therapy and contractual consequences has likely muted it. A yr or two ago he’d have hunted that person down........

Mazzoak

I think the problem we got if this is a rebuilding season, is how many of these players do we want back next season, unless they are all layne ulmers and spring into life in February and win us the playoffs, and the ones we want to keep like the goalies might say sod that anyway
You‘ll get a better answer closer to the end of the current season..........

Ocko

This is clearly a rebuilding season, I get that, but what we are short of seeing is an identity and togetherness with the team.

14/15 season was a rebuilding season. The Challenge Cup win was amazing but even taking that away it would’ve been an enjoyable season. The team entertained and very quickly there were fan favourites, a clear togetherness with the team and some character.

We haven’t got that (yet); the telling thing to me is if we did the rebuild again today I don’t think anyone would be truly missed other than Carruth, Reid and Waller. Every other new signing this year could be replaced without the fans losing a wink of sleep. Compare that to the 14/15 season and it’s a world away. It’s nothing to do with budgets, that team was on peanuts compared to this one we just got the recruitment better.

Kevin roog

A telling thing for me and the mrs are we are still debating who’s name to order on new shirts, still haven’t decided, she’s leaning towards carruth, my current shirt got Fournier on back, big skates to fill,