GB vs France

pjj365

Amazing Result.

I do think that the scheduling (of france having to play late last night) helped us a lot but a great, never say die performance from the lads.
No easy rides but our schedule Germany & Canada (who had a rest day before our game) Denmark & USA (who had a rest day before our game)
So if our rest day yesterday made things a bit easier I reckon we deserved it

Imp

Gonna be some interesting stuff that comes out of this over the next few days/weeks. Caught a bit of the IHUK TV on Facebook Live and a reference to one of the players (Dowd?) saying he’s going to go and learn to skate faster. It’s been a real trial by fire, next year won’t be any easier, and practically the first comment from the players is about what they can do to improve.

There must be hundreds of people that have had a hand in this, one way and another, over ten, twenty, thirty years, and the biggest testament to all of them has to be that, 3 goals down, after the beatings they’ve taken during the last 6 games, nobody caved. As close as this was, one lucky/unlucky bounce could have made been the difference, but nobody quit. A lot of people have done a lot right for this to happen.

Earnie

I watched every game. We lost six in a row, some heavily , but managed to retain our belief and mental strength. Let's face it , our ambition was not to get relegated. We did it in style. The contribution from Wales was huge.
I must also complement Freesport for being there and Aaron Murphy for his commentary. He does his homework and knows all the names of all the players on all the teams. His enthusiasm is huge.
It is absolutely tremendous to remain in the elite group.

Last edited:

SteveKing

I never thought that I would have had tears running down my cheeks for a world championship round robin game between two winless teams! So proud of all of those guys but obviously mostly our Devils. I was texting with Bownsy after the game and laughing about that poke check to stack-the-pads sequence right before the winning goal. Those are the little things that Ben has worked on over the years to become a better goalie. Very soon, being known as a British goaltender will be viewed as a positive thing. Very soon, signing in the EIHL will be viewed as one of the top spots in Europe. Some work to do to get there but look how far it's come in the last five years. This performance by GB continues to build on that.

Samael

I never thought that I would have had tears running down my cheeks for a world championship round robin game between two winless teams! So proud of all of those guys but obviously mostly our Devils. I was texting with Bownsy after the game and laughing about that poke check to stack-the-pads sequence right before the winning goal. Those are the little things that Ben has worked on over the years to become a better goalie. Very soon, being known as a British goaltender will be viewed as a positive thing. Very soon, signing in the EIHL will be viewed as one of the top spots in Europe. Some work to do to get there but look how far it's come in the last five years. This performance by GB continues to build on that.
By some work to do l hope you mean EIHL teams getting out of the group stages in the CHL and making a go of it in the quarters. I think if a club side from the UK can do that, British Ice hockey just might be taken seriously for the first time in nearly 100 years.

Samael

Getting beaten 6-1 on aggregate is not what l'd call giving it a go. It's subjective though. Yes, Nottingham got past the group stage but hardly made an impression after that.

Imp

Does anyone have any idea what the response has been in France?

Partly just idle curiosity, but an element of appreciating how easily this could have gone the other way and the knee-jerk repercussions that tend to follow for a UK sport presented with any form of setback.

Devilsatw

Wow anyone watching Canada v Switzerland game.. Switzerland were on the verge of a huge upset. Canada score to take it to overtime with 00.03 seconds left....