GB

BostonBart22

Thread starter #1
Just thought if anyone didn't know GB lost to Italy last night with Venus getting the goal... well done the shambolic elite league not one word on the game ..

Diafol

I just got back from a very disappointing 2-0 defeat to Denmark in Coventry.
Difficult to take any positives from it really, apart from Waller having a few decent shifts.

If that performance is anything to go by, we are really going to struggle at the WC this year.

kingmo19.1

I just got back from a very disappointing 2-0 defeat to Denmark in Coventry.
Difficult to take any positives from it really, apart from Waller having a few decent shifts.

If that performance is anything to go by, we are really going to struggle at the WC this year.
Sadly, I can only see relegation this time and a very very long road back. Why?

The current team has many players knocking on in age - they will evidently retire in the next 1-2 years. Those guys broke into the EIHL when the standard was a lot lower than now and gained ice time and experience.

The young guys these days are having a much harder time in terms of icetime and EIHL experience and unless something is done to rectify that then GB is going to suffer.

moggy#9

Let's not forget that the teams they're playing finished their digestive seasons a few weeks ago, so they've done a bit more people together. Yes, done GB players are nearing the end of their careers, but don't forget that GB are missing Kirk. While he's only one player, we also have a number of players developing in overseas leagues.

Also remember that France and Austria are replacing Russia and belrus.

Hockeymad

GB have punched above weight the last few years but like others say players are getting on now and I can only see us losing a lot more games

Diafol

Can't comment on tonight's game as I haven't seen it but he certainly wasn't at fault for the 2 goals last night.

moggy#9

The coach was on Twitter defending the team from criticism. These are prep games, and the team is behind others in readiness. That said it looks like it's going to be another season of struggle. Realistically they need to just keep most games respectable and steal a win against Austria to stay up.

As to bownsy, unfortunately he's about the only choice for GB. I wonder if after a couple of years of playing in Europe, the foreign coaches have solved him.

The national team needs a succession plan for bownsy and some of the older players. If not this year, relegation is inevitable in the next few years.

moggy#9

Is relegation still on the cards with Russia and Belarus being replaced this year? How will that work?
Russia and belrus were replaced by Austria and France, I think. I'm pretty sure we are still the lowest ranked country in the top division, because of the way the ranking system works. We need a minimum of over win against Norway, Latvia or Austria. USA, Czech, Finland and Sweden are about damage limitation.

RTfarty

Russia and belrus were replaced by Austria and France, I think. I'm pretty sure we are still the lowest ranked country in the top division, because of the way the ranking system works. We need a minimum of over win against Norway, Latvia or Austria. USA, Czech, Finland and Sweden are about damage limitation.
What I'm getting at though, is assuming Russia and Belarus will, eventually, be allowed back (and thus avoiding any 'risk' of relegation this year) how is it that a team can be relegated when I assume France and Austria are coming up from the lower division to make up the numbers?