Glasgow clan

moggy#9

Thread starter #1
EIHL rumours are reporting that Glasgow clan will take a pause from hockey until 22-23 season. Obviously, as the name suggests, this is a rumour, but what do people feel the implications would be? Would being down a team affect the profitability of the rest of the league? Having already lost a season, would they actually be able to come back? Is this the begging off the end, like it was with ISL?

To be honest, this isn't the only issue facing the league. The post brexit situation in northern Ireland makes me wonder what the implications for the giants might be.

Am I being overly pessimistic?

Earnie

It may turn out that we all pause until 22/23. I sincerely hope not but it is not out of the question.
As for NI (where I have spent half my working life) the Giants have been the good part of the glue that brought the two sides together in a common love of the sport. It must continue.

mjh

Personally don't see any change for quite some time to come. Despite the success of the vaccination drive, still seem to be a long way off full barns. Sadly, makes a lot of sense for teams to be cautious. Could be the difference between them being viable in the future when we do return to full arenas.

pjj365

Personally don't see any change for quite some time to come. Despite the success of the vaccination drive, still seem to be a long way off full barns. Sadly, makes a lot of sense for teams to be cautious. Could be the difference between them being viable in the future when we do return to full arenas.
in his interview for Elite Series TV Todd suggested if numbers were restricted to 2/3rd it would not work for Cardiff and maybe only Nottingham and Sheffield (don't remember him mentioning Belfast but I guess they would fall into the same category)
So I guess apart from watch this space if 2/3rd is the outcome mothball may be the only way forward for the longer term

kingmo19.1

If possible, I’d rather see 2/3rds attendance with less imports, thus the costs being lower but at least we get to see some ice Hockey. I fear somewhat what it could look like if it mothballs for another season. I can’t see it all of a sudden then jumping back to a full import quota.

Sponsors etc could quite easily drift away and look to invest elsewhere if there was such a long sabbatical!

moggy#9

Thread starter #6
If possible, I’d rather see 2/3rds attendance with less imports, thus the costs being lower but at least we get to see some ice Hockey. I fear somewhat what it could look like if it mothballs for another season. I can’t see it all of a sudden then jumping back to a full import quota.

Sponsors etc could quite easily drift away and look to invest elsewhere if there was such a long sabbatical!
It would be interesting to know what proportion of a team's costs related to the imports. My suspicion is that a lot of the expenses are fixed costs (eg. Electricity, maintainance, non-hockey staffing etc). Additionally, is the talent pool of GB players sufficient to support another 5 or 6 places per team?

Devil94

I think the league management understand how damaging another year of no hockey would be, and they would be more flexible than the original 100% or nothing approach.
For example, 2/3rds full, less imports, government assistance and a webcast package. If there's a way round it I'm sure they'll find it.

Kevlar68

I don't think the Devils Org would want to put out a lower grade of hockey which is what would have to happen if capacity was cut which means a lesser budget and less attractive to sponsors.
They have given us such a high standard of game that would they really want to step back?
It's a really tough call for all involved and i'm sure they will only do what's best for the club and themselves.

Kevlar68

Not always. Depends what the ambitions are. You couldn't seriously compete against the elite teams in Europe with a team restricted due to revenue.

It depends on how dampened the product would be at 2/3rds capacity. Anything similar to what we're seeing with the Elite Series I'd watch hands down. Certainly better than no season imo.

The real trouble with no season for a second year running is interest - that's one thing the Elite Series has done really well.

Kevlar68

At the end of the day it's a business not a hobby.
So if your a businessman who sets out a business plan expecting X product from an investment but gets Z product they may think is this what I wanted to invest in?
The same for sponsors, they want an X product to sponsor not a Z product.
That's the reality.