Government Announces Rescue Package

kingmo19.1

I might be wrong, but I think I recall Todd saying in one of his interviews that to re-open (IAW), it needs to be financially viable and that would only really happen when the Devils are permitted to play.

Does make me wonder would the pent up demand potentially see some decent sized crowds willing to pay a few ££ to watch Cardiff Fire. Admittedly the standard is much poorer, but you never know! Is there a break even figure that makes it viable? That coupled with public skating, figure skating and private hire of the pads for things like Hendrikx hockey might see it brought back to life?

moggy#9

The welsh government has done a risk assessment on ice rinks and decided the risk is too high.
To be honest I think that ice hockey, and rinks in general, are an edge case - particularly in Wales. I suspect that, at the moment, all that drakeford and co are focused on is whether they can get the annual international piss up (aka the six Nations) to go ahead.

Kevlar68

Not just the hockey but just using it as a public rink isn't an option as no way can you social distance on a public skating session.

mjh

Not just the hockey but just using it as a public rink isn't an option as no way can you social distance on a public skating session.
Respectfully disagree. I went in the summer to a rink over the border. Limited numbers booked time slots and all was fine. Personally, I felt much safer than in most shops etc.

Kevlar68

So how did social distancing work on the rink? I can skate but I've seen people who can't skate and can't stop crashing around skaters, grabbing on to hold on to anything or anyone, using the boards to stop so can't control who they may end up by and that's without all skaters trying to keep 2 metres apart on ice.
It can be well organised yes as you say but once people are on the ice of different levels of skating it becomes a free for all, my god they can't keep 2 metres apart in a shop on solid ground let alone ice.

kingmo19.1

All the Planet Ice rinks were open in England after the initial lockdown and the government gave the green light. They’ve been doing public skating for months.

Leighton

Doesn't make sense really but if that what is then that's what it is.
none of it makes sense. minor hockey here has been suspended for 2 weeks and most likely that'll be extended (same 17 kids on ice, all cohorted, all doing daily health checks, not been a single case of a minor hockey player infected and spreading) but public skating (or leisure skates as its called) continues where anyone can turn up, wear no protective gear and clatter into complete strangers...

An early indication of the Welsh Government policy in respect of spectators at outdoor sporting events will come soon as a decision is expected anyday on whether racegoers will be allowed at race meetings in December at Chepstow and Ffos Las.

Rempel16

So how did social distancing work on the rink? I can skate but I've seen people who can't skate and can't stop crashing around skaters, grabbing on to hold on to anything or anyone, using the boards to stop so can't control who they may end up by and that's without all skaters trying to keep 2 metres apart on ice.
It can be well organised yes as you say but once people are on the ice of different levels of skating it becomes a free for all, my god they can't keep 2 metres apart in a shop on solid ground let alone ice.
It's not 2m apart required - it is within 1m when passing someone, provided that it is not sustained for more than one minute.

Skating past someone would take less than a second.

Kevlar68

Gov.Wales it is 2m
"Keep your distance from other people who are not part of your household or extended household – stay 2 metres (3 steps) away from others when outdoors and in enclosed spaces outside the home setting "
That was updated 23/10/20

Hedd Wyn John

As I suspected the UK Government package was for England only:

“After further discussions with Sport England and DCMS, we have been advised that the funding allocated last week relates to teams in England only, with separate funds made available to the devolved authorities under the Barnett formula.”

Let’s hope Welsh Government have something in the pipeline for the Devils.

Let’s hope Welsh Government have something in the pipeline for the Devils.[/QUOTE]

I don’t hold out much hope to be honest. If it ain’t rugby, Charlie Drakeford won’t give a toss!
He’s gone on record many a time to say that sport and in particular indoor sport is not on his list of priorities.
A bit like the M4 relief road, if it doesn’t effect him he doesn’t give a shit!
I very much hope to be proved wrong and I await with bated breath!

Devil94

Indoor sports won't be high on his list of priorities, and rightly so to be honest.

Don't want to turn this in to a political thread, but 1 in 185 have the virus in Wales, 1 in 145 in NI, 1 in 115 in Scotland and 1 in 85 in England. And we have had less time in lockdown than the other nations. Just saying.

Indoor sports won't be high on his list of priorities, and rightly so to be honest.

Don't want to turn this in to a political thread, but 1 in 185 have the virus in Wales, 1 in 145 in NI, 1 in 115 in Scotland and 1 in 85 in England. And we have had less time in lockdown than the other nations. Just saying.
Maybe that’s because far fewer people in Wales have been COVID tested. Either way Drakeford has been largely paralysed with indecision, he just waits to see what others have done, waits a fortnight then follows suit!

Devil94

Maybe that’s because far fewer people in Wales have been COVID tested. Either way Drakeford has been largely paralysed with indecision, he just waits to see what others have done, waits a fortnight then follows suit!
Apart from when he called a firebreak first, meaning we were in lockdown for only 17 days instead of England's whole month and counting you mean? The firebreak that Germany, France and Switzerland all followed suit with a few weeks later? Hmm...

I for one am very glad that we have this control in Wales, considering the shambles there is in Westminster.

Anyway....hockey......