Guildford Flames v Cardiff Devils - 16/02/20 - League

ASHIPP

The key to the next few weeks is winning the home games. Devils are just about managing to do that right now, if not emphatically. They must win those. Hopefully they can then pick up a few points on the road.

There is no doubt that the two week break during Team GB qualifiers hurt the Devils' momentum. A lesson learnt for next season. At the weekend they were the better team for only 1 of the 6 periods in those games.

Hopefully they will consider last weekend as a,'warmup' to the final rundown... And every game starting from tomorrow night come out focused, fired up and finish every chance they get.

moggy#9

Can see him going to Belfast and Owens the other way.
I felt that Owens was a major downgrade for Belfast. In the games I've seen him play he seemed to get caught out on lateral mobility. The summer is going to be very interesting from a netminding perspective. I can't imagine it'll be long before we see the return of proper netminding tandems amongst the top teams.

Mazzoak

The club have done something from what I've seen, Haddad (whom was playing RW on the Dixon Linglet line), is now playing LW instead, as that's where we have struggled somewhat.

I don't see their obvious struggles as a big problem personally, every single team has problems like this of some sort, being honest - when can we remember a truly complete roster with everyone being happy with... Everyone?

Just by example: 18/19 Jake, faryna and Pope were kind of the scapegoats for bad play.

17/18? Well that was Drew Paris etc (my memory fails me!!!)

Every year there's guys we'd like to see more from, and never in the history of the eihl has an entire fan base been happy with every single player.

I see a Steelers fan on Twitter yesterday saying there's only 6 imports he'd keep, and there's 'major' changes needed in the summer, crazy!!!

No doubt we will make tweeks for next year, but I'm sure most of us agree the core of this team must stay together, we certainly don't need wholesale changes!
This team has gone beyond one player not hitting form. We’ve got several, expensive guys simply not trying or if they are, that’s even worse.
Are the current standings reflecting inconsistency across the league or are they showing an increase in ”quality”. I’m not so sure it’s the latter.
Th recruitment criteria for several years has relied on recruiting ageing players who have links to previous players or recommendations. Going forward it may bring greater fan enjoyment if we recruit, invest in younger players and grow them into the lost ethos of what makes a player a “Cardiff Devils” player. With hindsight we’ve dodged a bit of a bullet with the two you’ve mentioned and Pope hitting some form, does that mean he’s exonerated from the criticism he got in the past. I’m not so sure one better year is enough. I’d save the £’s on retraining these 3 at least.

CaldicotDevil

I felt that Owens was a major downgrade for Belfast. In the games I've seen him play he seemed to get caught out on lateral mobility. The summer is going to be very interesting from a netminding perspective. I can't imagine it'll be long before we see the return of proper netminding tandems amongst the top teams.
I thought the same till I just EP'd Owens stat. This season he's got a 0.922 SAVE % and 2.26 GAA. Basically identical to Beskorowany last year.

Problem with Belfast is they can't score. In terms of goals scored they rank 8th in the league.

jenks33

I thought the same till I just EP'd Owens stat. This season he's got a 0.922 SAVE % and 2.26 GAA. Basically identical to Beskorowany last year.

Problem with Belfast is they can't score. In terms of goals scored they rank 8th in the league.
Their lack of scoring has been bizarre. At the start of the season I thought their depth up front was impressive but it just hasn’t happened for them. Hamilton, Reddox and Lake have been disappointing as far as points production. I’ve not seen enough of them to comment on their all round game but keefe must have been expecting more points from those three. I know Reddox has been injured but I though he struggled before that.

Hedd Wyn John

Beskowany was a heck of a goalie & big factor behind Belfast winning the league. Not an easy player to replace. Owens is a solid goalie but it was always a big challenge to find someone as good as Beskowany.

CaldicotDevil

Their lack of scoring has been bizarre. At the start of the season I thought their depth up front was impressive but it just hasn’t happened for them. Hamilton, Reddox and Lake have been disappointing as far as points production. I’ve not seen enough of them to comment on their all round game but keefe must have been expecting more points from those three. I know Reddox has been injured but I though he struggled before that.
Can't put my finger on Reddox. He was never a goal scorer but for someone with such a good leadership CV you don't even notice him on the ice. Was expecting him to be a Herr / Martin on ice leader.

Blaze fans did say Lake wont have stats like he did last year. He's been quiet this year but I'd still love him as a Devil.

To be honest Keefe has had a mare this year, he's struggled in every comp. If he wasn't such a Teal legend he'd be under a lot more pressure.

terry hunt

I have been wondering if there is a CHL effect.It is no doubt a prestige event and great to watch top europeans.
Teams involved seem to recruit to fit the competition in which we are extremely unlikely to make much progress.Our players seem to go flat when we are out and return to EIHL.
I know our management love to take part in this tournament but i wonder if a year out of could be a good thing.
Lordo and TK would then need to rethink their strategy on recruiting.

jimmy snels

I have been wondering if there is a CHL effect.It is no doubt a prestige event and great to watch top europeans.
Teams involved seem to recruit to fit the competition in which we are extremely unlikely to make much progress.Our players seem to go flat when we are out and return to EIHL.
I know our management love to take part in this tournament but i wonder if a year out of could be a good thing.
reference CHL i think looking at our roster we have players throughout who have played a very good level but just might be a bit to old for a long season of consistency and in some cases a bit unmotivated if im honest. I've been suprised at some of our recruitment in general as I've posted before, with us having effectively 9 players who can play D fit on our roster and a lack of scoring throughout the forward lines.

ASHIPP

Think it has been a massive missed opportunity earlier not to bring in some natural goalscoring talent especially with Pope and Linglet out. The game schedule for the run-in is busy.

To be in a position where the team is plugging forward positions with players who are primarily defence men is ludicrous..... but the Club has this well-known policy of not releasing underperforming players, and they have already made their usual 1 huge addition by bringing in Morrissonn who has been a fantastic influence.

The reliance on the same small group of players to get the team through games will eventually backfire if those guys are injured, tired or have an off night. Those particular guys certainly can't be blamed for poor team performance when they are carrying players who have struggled to score goals this season.

Would expect some realistic analysis and tough decisions to be made this off-season. The Club has not really been rewarded by showing loyalty to one or two individuals. The coaching staff will have seen the huge improvement in other teams in this league and how those teams are winning games.

Last edited:

Hedd Wyn John

There definitely IS a CHL effect, the league title could go down to the narrowest margins & both Cardiff & Belfast have seen dips following the CHL. Players picked up injuries & fatigue following the CHL games. Don't get me wrong I love the CHL but it could well be the difference at the end of the season.