Haddad released by Greenville

terry hunt

According to Elite he is leaving to unknown.
Bryce Reddick has an extension?
Jardine has gone to Bratislava i think he would be good for us if he were available

James

Administrator
We've had rumours of strengthening our squad around now. Is it possible that the tandem import net-minding on a game night was until this point? Its awesome having two such competent netties but it does seem a waste of an import slot on game nights

moggy#9

We've had rumours of strengthening our squad around now. Is it possible that the tandem import net-minding on a game night was until this point? Its awesome having two such competent netties but it does seem a waste of an import slot on game nights
I can understand people's concerns on this, but I'd hate to be in a position in a crucial game where our starter got injured. Though I'm sure no club in this league would deliberately run a goalie...

Temme

I think I’m right in saying the issue with the netminders is being caused by the roster size restrictions. If we replace one of the two import netminders with a British player we would still have a roster size of 19 and just 1 less import… due to the limit of 19 players we can’t just replace the backup with a Brit and ice an out skater as we would be at a roster size of 20. That would mean to gain the extra import out skater we would have to sit one of our other British player + an import net minder.
I believe we are currently playing 1 import under the limit but can’t really utilise this slot without sitting a Brit?
All very true, however, i'm more surprised we aren't carrying a spare.

We are already missing Duggan & Mcnally and barely scratched the surface of the season.

jenks33

The unofficial salary cap is clearly an issue. I have no doubts without the salary cap we would have been carrying a spare import from day one. Steve King pretty much admitted that just before the season started.
That’s why we might be forced to gas somebody this season. It’s something we’ve never done under this ownership but I don’t think we can financially afford to carry anybody this season if they’re not performing.

James

Administrator
I can understand people's concerns on this, but I'd hate to be in a position in a crucial game where our starter got injured. Though I'm sure no club in this league would deliberately run a goalie...
Other than Sheffield I'm sure they wouldn't. But its a risk we've endured for the last 15 years at least and done ok. Is the risk of losing your starter for half of one match more than running effectively an import short for a season?

Have Hope#35

Problem with that is even if we don't go down the Import Tandem route we would still need a Brit backup and nothing within the Team would change as we'd still have 19 Players. We already have the option for another Import which we can't use due to game night numbers (assuming everyone is fit).

E.D.S.

Tough to find a Brit Goalie keen to sit on his backside week in and week out and yet be good enough to step up if needed. We have been lucky in the past.

If he’s left Greenville for non vaccine reasons, I doubt we’ll see him back then as I had heard our players must also be vaccinated and this was league wide? Anyone else heard the same?

august04 2.0

This bench roster limit is a bloody joke and needs removing and never repeated again. If teams like Fife don’t like it, then tough, they don’t bring much to the league anyway. I noticed that Robert Farmer was playing for Whitley this season in the NIHL1 - this limit is impacting on Brits like him, who should be playing in the EIHL. He's only 30, did a great job in the GB setup, did well in DEL2 and can’t pick up an spot on an EIHL team. That’s just madness, unless there are specific circumstances with him this year that I’m not aware of. Always rated old punchbag, it’s a shame he’s not playing at a higher level this year.

august04 2.0

Very conflicted. Haddad would give Devils a huge portion of what they currently need which is to generate longer periods of offensive zone pressure and not be playing so run and gun on the rush. He is an immense puck protection player down low.

However I think they’d need to release a player to do so as what they really still need is that top no 1 centre filling. I love Stephen Dixon but he’s gone from third line centre to first line which shows the incremental drop in roster strength.

Have to be honest this dressing two import netties a night is baffling me still. Seems like a real self inflicted restriction on the rosters capabilities.
Agree totally on relative roster strengths this year compared to last. We have not replaced Joey Martin with a high level first line centre. DuPont is not that man and seems to have settled better on the third line and Stephen Dixon shouldn't be our stud first line centre, as much as he’s doing a great job. The league standard has dropped this year in my view, understandably with the self imposed salary cap and bench roster size limit. Hopefully, we see some changes next season as we return to a more normal situation post pandemic recovery. Regarding goalies, perhaps Murdy is the answer if he’s kept his hand in but I suppose he has enough on his plate being the equipment manager! Still rotate the starts with Carruth/Kozun but have Murdy/other Brit (if there’s one out there,) dressed as the back up every game.

Last edited:

moggy#9

This bench roster limit is a bloody joke and needs removing and never repeated again. If teams like Fife don’t like it, then tough, they don’t bring much to the league anyway. I noticed that Robert Farmer was playing for Whitley this season in the NIHL1 - this limit is impacting on Brits like him, who should be playing in the EIHL. He's only 30, did a great job in the GB setup, did well in DEL2 and can’t pick up an spot on an EIHL team. That’s just madness, unless there are specific circumstances with him this year that I’m not aware of. Always rated old punchbag, it’s a shame he’s not playing at a higher level this year.
Much as I hate to say it, as I've always had a bit of a study spot for them, the league has passed fife by. I'm not sure whether the league is weaker a team short, or suffers carrying a weak team.

Rempel16

That's not actually true.
Farmer has joined the police, so he made the choice to walk away from hockey. He would have gotten a spot for sure, if he'd wanted one.

august04 2.0

That's not actually true.
Farmer has joined the police, so he made the choice to walk away from hockey. He would have gotten a spot for sure, if he'd wanted one.
Well I did say unless there were circumstances that I was unaware of with Farmer. But if he had a spot this year, that would have taken one away from someone else, so my point remains. At a time when we need as many Brits in the league as possible to develop for the national team, we introduce a match night bench limit which restricts their numbers. And Myers was almost a casualty of that too.