Holding my hands up..I was wrong

Thread starter #1
Bryce Reddick
At the start of the season I had kittens every time he iced in terms of him jumping into the play too often and staying there for too long and the pressure that put the team under when it went wrong which to me seemed a lot.
Now whether this was a case of bad judgement or trying too hard to make an impression or trying to get up with the other offensive D I don't know
But
I do know that he has settled down somewhat, realised he doesn't have to try it all especially since partnered with TS. With the injuries I have seen him bust a gut every shift switching D and F.
He has earned my respect and hopefully from more than a few other people too.

Wannabe2

Reddick has certainly won the hearts of many Devils fans, and as you say is busting a gut for his team, God if you put him in a 6ft 6in body, he certainly would be a wrecking ball, although some times I think he thinks he is 6'6". Great to see him playing so well.

august04

When Louis returns, Reddick wouldn't be part of my top 6 D (not against him playing on the wing either when needed though, as he gives everything). He's playing a more realistic game now in terms of his ability and you really can't fault the guy's effort. Thankfully, he's minimised the times when he jumps up into the play, leaving us exposed at the back. It's no coincidence either that Lord has paired Strachan with him on D. Incidentally, Strachan is really coming into his own lately, looks pure class out there. It'll be interesting to see who plays if we ever all get fully fit.

Leighton

When Louis returns, Reddick wouldn't be part of my top 6 D (not against him playing on the wing either when needed though, as he gives everything). He's playing a more realistic game now in terms of his ability and you really can't fault the guy's effort. Thankfully, he's minimised the times when he jumps up into the play, leaving us exposed at the back. It's no coincidence either that Lord has paired Strachan with him on D. Incidentally, Strachan is really coming into his own lately, looks pure class out there. It'll be interesting to see who plays if we ever all get fully fit.
Spoke the Mark last night, said he's pretty much fit and was hoping to play this weekend but the team is the playing well and he has to fight for/earn a place on the bench.

JC23

I think towards the start of the season, Reddick was playing the same offensive D role he was expected to play at his last club, now he’s been here a while, I think Lordo has had time to go through what is expected of him in our team/league.

Just took a bit of time for him to learn his role here rather than what was expected before I think.

solelace84

I have to agree with this. I deemed Reddick a defensive liability earlier in the season. But since he's settled a little with Strachan, he picks his moments to jump into the play and he is infinitely better! He gives 100% every shift - he's fast becoming a personal favourite. The guy has such character.

DevilDom

I liked up from the start as he always seemed to be busting a gut and playing his heart out but thought he was a bit small for a D-man and could sometimes get caught out pinching into the play.

I still love his effort in every game and willingness to do whatever asked for the team but he has also improved dramtically and makes far fewer errors. Playing alongside Strachan his size isn't as much of an issue either.

Will be some tough choices for Lord now everyone coming back to fitness which can only be good news for the team!

matbur

Great to see someone holding their hand up by saying they got it wrong, fair play.

Some of the criticisms towards the team earlier in the season were warranted but a lot of the negativity was hysterical and completely unfair.

ASHIPP

Luckily for us, Big Lou is one of the most versatile players on the team - plays both as a forward and defenceman.
Worked well up front - think this is where he might be when fully fit.

Bryce Reddick is a player with real energy and character. He's really adapted his game - a combination of working hard to adapt to the style of EIHL hockey and responding to coaching. His speed/puck carrying would be useful on the wing.

Anyone thinking Tyson Strachan is 'finding his feet' is completely underselling him! Having reached the highest ability level in the sport, his fitness levels will allow him to clock insane ammounts of icetime. Add in the level of professionalism and focused attitude - a class act. No coincidence the defence is tighter and the style of play much more controlled since his arrival.

Last edited:
Bryce is a heart and soul Cardiff Devil and a good example of letting players bed in and leaving the criticism to the coaching staff o deliver to the respective player(s).

Massive cup game coming up against a very dangerous Guilford team.

Koop11

I never understood why he was made a scape goat early season. Accepting he was a little too pinchy, he’s always had great skating ability, decent hand for a d man, and an aggressive style which he plays above his size. I’ve liked him from the start.

There were other players underachieving more than Reddick that’s for sure but for whatever reason he was the one targeted. Maybe because he was one of the new guys.

Keep up the good work Mr Reddick.

Temme

I never understood why he was made a scape goat early season. Accepting he was a little too pinchy, he’s always had great skating ability, decent hand for a d man, and an aggressive style which he plays above his size. I’ve liked him from the start.

There were other players underachieving more than Reddick that’s for sure but for whatever reason he was the one targeted. Maybe because he was one of the new guys.

Keep up the good work Mr Reddick.
Not going to beat around the bush here -
looking at his last season in Denmark he was brought in as a point scoring D man. (personally i don't think we needed additional points from D giving what we had, i guess lordo realised this and brought in Strachan early on...)
Reddick got here and he spent more time playing all 3 forward positions than defending, costing us countless 2-on-1's and several important goals. - it is very easy to notice the player out of position when the opposition are 2-on-1 the other way - ***this may not have been down to Reddick - if he is told to attack by the coaching team, then we can't apportion the blame to him***
To top all that off he was NOT producing the points that last season indicated he would (and still isn't).

However, he has since found his groove - very well i may add, chooses his rush timing well, is very reliable on D, plays a 6"6 game of hockey in his smallish frame and is on par with any of our D men, points are completely irrelevant in hockey for me, yes they indicate who is contributing offensively, but last year we didn't have a single 20 goal scorer, which is almost unheard of, but still won the league.

More than glad at how he's turned out - what a find for this team, if he keeps playing the way he is making huge plays then we can have no complaints about our D core this year.

E.D.S.

Not going to beat around the bush here -
looking at his last season in Denmark he was brought in as a point scoring D man. (personally i don't think we needed additional points from D giving what we had, i guess lordo realised this and brought in Strachan early on...)
Reddick got here and he spent more time playing all 3 forward positions than defending, costing us countless 2-on-1's and several important goals. - it is very easy to notice the player out of position when the opposition are 2-on-1 the other way - ***this may not have been down to Reddick - if he is told to attack by the coaching team, then we can't apportion the blame to him***
To top all that off he was NOT producing the points that last season indicated he would (and still isn't).

However, he has since found his groove - very well i may add, chooses his rush timing well, is very reliable on D, plays a 6"6 game of hockey in his smallish frame and is on par with any of our D men, points are completely irrelevant in hockey for me, yes they indicate who is contributing offensively, but last year we didn't have a single 20 goal scorer, which is almost unheard of, but still won the league.

More than glad at how he's turned out - what a find for this team, if he keeps playing the way he is making huge plays then we can have no complaints about our D core this year.
I didn't know that we didn't have a 20 point scorer last season and we still won what we did. That's quite impressive.

Temme

Temme said 20 goals not 20 points.
Ulmer= 19
Asselin=19
Haddad=19
Doucet=19
Benny=18
Martin=17
No 20 goal scorer, but goals shared out very nicely.
It's a pretty impressive stat, to win 3/4 trophies with no player going (barely) above 1 point per game also - we are used to seeing teams with a player/line/combination on 70+ points, whereas the Devils top 5 players were within 6 points of each other, all roughly on 1 point per game.

Obviously not a bad thing though - we scored more than any other team and conceded least.

Year - Winning team GF /Winning team GA
16/17 - 200/136
15/16 - 190/161
14/15 - 193/134
13/14 - 210/127
12/13 - 232/111
11/12 - 237/102
10/11 - 265 /132

Makes some pretty interesting reading on how much more competitive the league has become from the days where one team would dominate.