Hopefully not another Capitals situation!

CaldicotDevil

As chairman of the league Tony Smith continues to make the EIHL look like a beer league. Issues like this need to be conducted behind closed doors and not aired out through Sheffield Star.

As a fellow owner he must know the money struggles of stepping up to EIHL with a developing fan base.

Last edited:

OJLloyd

This does seem to be an inappropriate way for this story to get out.
Tony Smith could have put a lid on the whole thing and let the legal issues be resolved behind closed doors.
It’s also stating that there will be no investment in the team until next season, essentially saying to MK fans ‘forget about this year, we have’.

kettdevil1

This does seem to be an inappropriate way for this story to get out.
Tony Smith could have put a lid on the whole thing and let the legal issues be resolved behind closed doors.
It’s also stating that there will be no investment in the team until next season, essentially saying to MK fans ‘forget about this year, we have’.
Hmmm I am not sure I agree, as he was approached then his other alternative would be to say ‘no comment’ and I am not sure if that would be seen as professional at all. Looks like a no win situation to me and hopefully sorted soon.

Devils86

Hmmm I am not sure I agree, as he was approached then his other alternative would be to say ‘no comment’ and I am not sure if that would be seen as professional at all. Looks like a no win situation to me and hopefully sorted soon.
“I am aware of an ongoing legal issue involving a club in the EIHL. Out of respect to those involved, the legal process, and the EIHL as a whole I will not be making any comment at this time.” Easy

Devils86

This was released by Lightning themselves as a press release last week/previously - so no issue with the Star publishing it.

Lightning fans seemed to be ok with it - aiming for long term stability rather than throwing good money after bad this season.

Imp

Based on that article, the dispute doesn’t really have anything to do with (or say anything about) the overall financial situtation at MK Lightning. It just looks like a run-of-the-mill employment dispute:
  • Ex-Coach says he was fired ... and is therefore owed money.
  • Club says the coach resigned ... and is therefore not owed money.
There will probably be a settlement - because it’s cheaper than a tribunal - and getting it in the paper is just leverage in that negotiation.