If we get a season 21/22

Devil94

Looks to work pretty nicely with the CHL. Two rounds of CHL 26th-29th August, september 2nd - 5th.

Followed by 2 weekends of pre season games before the league opener. Getting a friendly before the CHL might be tricky though...

Devil94

Could always play a few friendlies before CHL behind closed doors with team in place by end of mid July if needs be.
I think finding the opposition will be the problem. No one in our league will be ready in August, and I can imagine most teams in europe wanting to stay and play teams in their own country instead of dealing with travel, possible bubbles, visas for UK etc.

mjh

Fingers crossed. Can't wait to get back there with the full barn. Feel like it's a long way to go yet with restrictions being in place. If we all get our jabs we may yet see big Lou handing out a few of his own!

Kevlar68

I think finding the opposition will be the problem. No one in our league will be ready in August, and I can imagine most teams in europe wanting to stay and play teams in their own country instead of dealing with travel, possible bubbles, visas for UK etc.
I think that playing a team from outside your league is always good for any team so we may get a European team also looking for a friendly outside their league. Travel in August may be a bit more settled hopefully.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #146
The CHL could be our warm ups, leading nicely into the proper hockey. Priority being coming home, watching the greatest sport on the planet, and meeting great friends. Just want to go back home myself.

moggy#9

The thing is that having a new coach and likely a large contingent of new players, treating the chl as a warm up would be disastrous. I don't think we'd want to damage the brilliant reputation the club's being building up. There's going to be a fair amount of work to be done in getting everyone settled. For goodness sake though, don't let anyone near the castle.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #148
My suggestion was said with tongue in cheek obviously, we could always play Blaze 18 times as a warm up, or better still 6 games v the Steelers with a 6 game win for the Devils, that would do nicely.

kingmo19.1

Good to see some positive news :)

Hopefully be August/Sept the current capacity limits 50% or 1,000 whichever is lower will have been lifted!

Bit of a mare for the management to plan with that restriction potentially in place.

Kevlar68

Well England allowing hugs and distancing at moment there is 1m and from June 21st I heard on radio this morning no masks needed. So if that's the case full venues may as well be allowed because people don't keep the distance now.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #152
See my own views are that Drakeford has done very little wrong, he hasn’t gambled with peoples lives, he has stuck to his own opinions and beliefs. Yes people have lost a lot, but he didn’t cause that or to me haven’t added to it, if he had made other decisions and more people had died he would have been crucified for that. He is a bit of a wet blanket that’s true but I don’t believe he could have done more than he has, without playing Russian roulette with peoples lives. Hopefully come Sept we will be rocking and rolling.

mjh

I think we're at a critical point. There will always be variants and risk but vaccination has mitigated that significantly. As Todd says, this can't go on forever. It's not just the Devils that won't survive another year. Thousands of businesses are in the same boat. Fingers, toes and everything else crossed for hockey on schedule!

Devil94

Powerful words from Todd. No 2021-2022 season and that could be the end of the Cardiff Devils. If that's the case, then I would presume it's the same for most teams in the league, and therefore the league itself.
Totally agree on everything he said. What more can possibly be done? By then everybody 16+ would have been vaccinated. We cannot go on like this forever and life must resume.

kingmo19.1

Having heard what Todd said, I think the support is so strong in Cardiff that fans (maybe a reduced number) would still turn up to watch a Devils Team that maybe wouldn’t be as strong as what we’ve seen over the past few years.

Not sure about anyone else, but I’d still turn up if we had far fewer imports and played 3 lines with brits padding out the roster.

Maybe that’s how the league restarts if there are still crowd restrictions in place.

Smaller team budget = living within a smaller income. Could always look to strengthen in future seasons, but I think it’s just important we have some hockey in 21-22.

BostonBart22

whatever is put in place for the 21/22 season I will be there regardless of less imports, I started watching when only 3 imports played and had some great games and great times and memories. as long as its an even keel on all clubs then so be it, we know its out of Todds hands but he will fight tooth and nail to get us through this and get a great team up and running .