Import players

Nothing wrong with constructive criticism with evidence to back up the criticism. Nothing wrong with offering to help if you can as part of that criticism.

Now the other type of 'criticism' that is happening far to frequently on here of late, lets say you turn up for work Monday morning, no sooner have you set to your days task your boss walks past and yells your rubbish, a waste of time, you need to be sacked. Never tells you why or what you can do to improve. He carries on like this all day. And the next, and the next........ ask you self how would that make you feel? How would that make most the people you know feel?

osh said:
If a player decided to go elsewhere due to the fact that. 1% of all posters are a negative element of that forum, I would question the integrity or wisdom of that player.
If only it was 1% of the forum. Or even 10%, 25% :)

toy_car_uk - Like that post. Even if reps from the club don't look here, you can guarantee that the players do, even in their spare time. If criticism is unaltering negative all of the time (or could be perceived to be so) then why should a player play to impress the fans if they don't seem to care? As it is, Jeff Pierce has nearly a point per game (mostly goals) and only 8 penalty minutes. He can be selfish IMO and fails to put in the final pass on occasion, but he can step up when he needs to and skates like a daemon. A bit of an Ovechkin, if you like.

Not saying he's the best we have, but would you sacrifice his points production on a gamble at this stage? Unless you thought you could capture another NHL star on the wane.

jimmy snels

i think a more valid point about our imports are the quality we are getting from our uni slots. In the past we had tyson and osaer for two years (both brilliant and arguably our best players seen down the tent?) jarvis and hartwick for two years and now we seem to be signing 3rd line grinders to these slots? i dont know if im making sence here but ud think we'd be using our uni slots to sign players with AHL experiance atleast not signing 3rd line centres?!

Paul Sullivan

Yeah I think you are right.

MacRae
Matzka
M Smith.

Those losers were a waste of a Uni spot last year, we've had no decent Uni recruits recently :lol: :roll:

ASHIPP

jimmy snels said:
i think a more valid point about our imports are the quality we are getting from our uni slots. In the past we had tyson and osaer for two years (both brilliant and arguably our best players seen down the tent?) jarvis and hartwick for two years and now we seem to be signing 3rd line grinders to these slots? i dont know if im making sence here but ud think we'd be using our uni slots to sign players with AHL experiance atleast not signing 3rd line centres?!
That's a bit harsh and insulting on our guys and you have not taken into consideration the impact of exactly what happened to this Club during the off-season, in the middle of player recruitment. Add to that all the normal factors that are involved with players joining clubs on educational packages not least the available pool of players who want to study, the positions they play in, whether they might be a good fit for the team, competitive offers from other clubs. We have been told that one or two new players who were due to join changed their minds. And circumstances of previous seasons were different.

We are exceptionally lucky to have the partnership with the Business School (and UWIC/Metropolitan for Kenton) and that the Club is able to attract players. It would far, far tougher without that. :evil:

jimmy snels

ok mr sarcastic im not saying their not good players but i think that in all honesty that maybe we should use them slightly wiser, dobben is a 3rd line grinder at best, and although stu turned out to be a good player again he was signed on our 3rd line. im saying that in the past we signed better players on these deals. matzka was one of our better players last year yes (not this year at minute but i like him) but i think we dont utilize these slots enough. You seem to be very touchy about anyone having an opinion mate, we are all allowed one, a simple "i disagree, i think the quality of imports signed to the deals is great" would have been fine. this is a forum set up for discussion.

out of intrest would you say that dobben, smith and pierce who are i believe on uni deals as good as the past signings on them?

TheStub

Dobben has quite impressed me with his 2 way game. We have managed to to avoid any 3rd line grinder imports this season - can't remember the last time we signed one.

All our centers are top draw, high percentage guys and can slip them anywhere in our line-up.

In fact, I'd spread the love a bit and give us 3 very even lines.

jimmy snels

the point i was getting at stub was that in the past we signed phil osaer an AHL netminder and Tyson Teplitsky who came to us as a very well thought of ECHL player linked to AHL teams every where that summer and we signed them both due to the uni deals. wes jarvis was an AHL Dman and came to us. Scott dobben looked promising early in his career but i think its fair to say he' s not in the same league as any of the previously mentioned. and jeff was a CHL player before he came here. I just think IMO we could sign a higher quality of import if we used the deals right :)

osh

Imagine said:
osh said:
If a player decided to go elsewhere due to the fact that. 1% of all posters are a negative element of that forum, I would question the integrity or wisdom of that player.

It's ok just saying if only, what % do you think are negative and let's have some proof please. I think my figure is pretty accurate.

Paul Sullivan

osh said:
Imagine said:
osh said:

It's ok just saying if only, what % do you think are negative and let's have some proof please. I think my figure is pretty accurate.
You thinking yours is accurate doesn't make it proof either though. I happen to think you are about right in terms of active posters v total fans, but I wouldn't be able to put a number on % of negativity.

Paul Sullivan

jimmy snels said:
ok mr sarcastic im not saying their not good players but i think that in all honesty that maybe we should use them slightly wiser, dobben is a 3rd line grinder at best, and although stu turned out to be a good player again he was signed on our 3rd line. im saying that in the past we signed better players on these deals. matzka was one of our better players last year yes (not this year at minute but i like him) but i think we dont utilize these slots enough. You seem to be very touchy about anyone having an opinion mate, we are all allowed one, a simple "i disagree, i think the quality of imports signed to the deals is great" would have been fine. this is a forum set up for discussion.

out of intrest would you say that dobben, smith and pierce who are i believe on uni deals as good as the past signings on them?
I'm not touchy about anyone having an opinion. I simply don't agree with a few things being said on here so I post my opposing views. I am allowed mine too, mate ;) what does seem to be growing is that if someone moans (not saying you were, just stating a view) and then is called on it, they really don't like that at all.

It does seem that anyone who takes issue with a criticism of the team when they feel it is unfounded is labelled a happy clapper though. If that's the case I shall reach for my tambourine as I am proud to be one.

You have referenced two players persistently in your argument and I can see why. Phil and Tepper are two of our best players, in their era, ever in their position in my opinion. Jarvo was awesome too. However we also signed Romfo on a Uni deal (got gassed) and Hartwick who many never rated (I did).

Stuuuu turned out to be the find of the season last year, playing with every conceivable line mate and ascending to the captaincy. Scott Matzka is a thoroughbred and returned to us when his situation was poor so I would say those two are good uses of Uni places.
Last year we had our third Goalie Mark Smith on a Uni place and pound for pound I thought he was our best and most consistent player last season. This year his brother, who is playing very very well again, has stepped onto a Uni deal.

As for Scott Dobben? Well I like Scott's play. I think he is a very solid two-way player, can shoot, score, is very good at the draw and versatile too. It should not be glossed over that he, like Stu before him, has had a carousel of line mates due to injuries, has played on every one (and lit up the top line when he was there), and even played extremely well in defence. Phil Hill said he had no idea how he was able to play D so well, as a forward. So yes, in terms of this year's team I think Dobbs has been a great acquisition for these reasons.

IMO Scott's biggest problem is that many seem to want to compare him directly with Tylor, who was genetically engineered to be a Cardiff Devil and had achieved cult status. They are not the same style or type of player so that was always going to hamper him a little.

I think with settled line mates and settled lines we could see some very good things from him.

Dare I point out that only last season too we signed a 50+ goal scorer on a Uni deal?

From working closely with the Coaches this Summer to process the visa paperwork I would say that in my opinion, in the recruitment climate we had, with the budget we had, yes we used the Uni places well. Several other players nearly came here on Uni deals too but eventually opted to stay home or go to mainland Europe.

jimmy snels

each man to their own i guess but the romfo adventure was the start of this decline in quality IMO. pelle came here with good numbers and i agree matzka turned out to be a good signing. what i am saying is tho i think we should be using our deals to sign 1st line players, our go to men. im not sure pierce or dobben were ever going to be that

jimmy snels

but is he playing like it? this is the point im making, we have signed a CHL player on a uni deal where as i personally would rather get a man with recent good AHL numbers and know rather than guess to an extent the quality. like i say each person probably has a different opinion on this but in mine i would make slightly better use from these slots than we have this year.

jimmy snels

Rhythm said:
jimmy snels said:

I'm not touchy about anyone having an opinion. I simply don't agree with a few things being said on here so I post my opposing views. I am allowed mine too, mate ;) what does seem to be growing is that if someone moans (not saying you were, just stating a view) and then is called on it, they really don't like that at all.

It does seem that anyone who takes issue with a criticism of the team when they feel it is unfounded is labelled a happy clapper though. If that's the case I shall reach for my tambourine as I am proud to be one.

You have referenced two players persistently in your argument and I can see why. Phil and Tepper are two of our best players, in their era, ever in their position in my opinion. Jarvo was awesome too. However we also signed Romfo on a Uni deal (got gassed) and Hartwick who many never rated (I did).

Stuuuu turned out to be the find of the season last year, playing with every conceivable line mate and ascending to the captaincy. Scott Matzka is a thoroughbred and returned to us when his situation was poor so I would say those two are good uses of Uni places.
Last year we had our third Goalie Mark Smith on a Uni place and pound for pound I thought he was our best and most consistent player last season. This year his brother, who is playing very very well again, has stepped onto a Uni deal.

As for Scott Dobben? Well I like Scott's play. I think he is a very solid two-way player, can shoot, score, is very good at the draw and versatile too. It should not be glossed over that he, like Stu before him, has had a carousel of line mates due to injuries, has played on every one (and lit up the top line when he was there), and even played extremely well in defence. Phil Hill said he had no idea how he was able to play D so well, as a forward. So yes, in terms of this year's team I think Dobbs has been a great acquisition for these reasons.

IMO Scott's biggest problem is that many seem to want to compare him directly with Tylor, who was genetically engineered to be a Cardiff Devil and had achieved cult status. They are not the same style or type of player so that was always going to hamper him a little.

I think with settled line mates and settled lines we could see some very good things from him.

Dare I point out that only last season too we signed a 50+ goal scorer on a Uni deal?

From working closely with the Coaches this Summer to process the visa paperwork I would say that in my opinion, in the recruitment climate we had, with the budget we had, yes we used the Uni places well. Several other players nearly came here on Uni deals too but eventually opted to stay home or go to mainland Europe.

so just to answer my question, do you think that pierce dobben and smith are of the same quality of import that we have previously used our deals to sign?

Why should we expect them to be the same quality? We're running with a reduced budget this season, I would expect the quality to be slightly lower.

jimmy snels

i would think the uni deals as shown in the past are the key to signing players that would otherwise be very expensive so id think that they would still be able to attract the same quality for the reduced rate? like i say IMO i would like to see these slots used to sign our go to players, our top men... im not sure we did that this year.