Import players

They take a wage as well as the deal. Whilst the wage is reduced, the lower it gets the less players that will be attracted to us. Especially when other clubs have similar deals and can probably offer a higher wage with it.

Paul Sullivan

jimmy snels said:
so just to answer my question, do you think that pierce dobben and smith are of the same quality of import that we have previously used our deals to sign?

I think they are, yes - in the context of this year's team. I don't think we have signed them to do the same jobs as the players you mentioned.

Mark Smith was not signed as a No.1 D, and certainly not as an offensive D.

None of them are Starting net minders.
None of them are the Batman

Probably the most direct comparison one could draw is Pelle to Pierce. Jon had an exceptional year by his own standards and ours. Jeff is scoring goals but not exciting people in the same way Pelle did.

I really don't think you are allowing for the market or the budget either. You use a Uni deal in two ways:

1) To lower the wages of a top guy that you may not have been able to otherwise afford as there is a financial offset or contra if you like.
2) To lower the wage of a less impactful player to a level that you could not have afforded with your remaining budget once you have signed your top earners.

The makeup of a team is organic. Some posters seem to see the players like the limbs of a body. I more tend to think they are the internal organs and the roster is the body as a whole (insert Tylor Michel = Heart / Gerad = Guts line here).
In order to have a healthy body you need to consider the entire makeup of the team when you are building your little Frankensteins monster.

Hindsight is 20/20 and you have the benefit of 3 months of watching the guys to analyse their play. G and Franny have to try and build this physiology and chemistry whilst never having seen some of the guys play or knowing who they will fit with already proven quantities like Max or Richie. They did this on a limited budget, with incredibly limited time (this year). Now, G and Franny may be itching to pull the trigger for all we know but they are too honourable to say this in public of course.
We know that even if they did want to make a change they cannot afford to, so our opinions are academic anyway.

It's an interesting debate and I can totally see your point. Year on year we may not have done as well as before to some, however knowing the environment and budget the guys had, I think we made very good signings.

Paul Sullivan

phil PLT said:
Rhythm said:
Yeah I think you are right.

MacRae
Matzka
M Smith.

Those losers were a waste of a Uni spot last year, we've had no decent Uni recruits recently :lol: :roll:
So what's Jon Pelle done to you ;)
Nothing. I was trying to point out that our recent Uni deals had secured us good players that stayed with the club, hence being wise recruitment.

Ask me again Sunday if he scores on us though :lol:

jimmy snels

i understand they take a wage (and accomidation etc) but i cant see why we should devalue the places we have by offering them to anyone. id go as far as to say id rather run an import less and get a tyson or an osaer than say we need 10 so get anyone in. burrows is one of the only players to throw a hit this season, give him a place on the 3rd line and get us a top player i say! but like i say its all a matter of opinions and thats why i love the inferno :)

kettdevil1

jimmy snels said:
i understand they take a wage (and accomidation etc) but i cant see why we should devalue the places we have by offering them to anyone. id go as far as to say id rather run an import less and get a tyson or an osaer than say we need 10 so get anyone in. burrows is one of the only players to throw a hit this season, give him a place on the 3rd line and get us a top player i say! but like i say its all a matter of opinions and thats why i love the inferno :)
*sigh* Recruitment to Uni places must be a complete nightmare for the behind the scene guys. Although we focus on their hockey ability, CBS will be focused on their ability to study at MBA level.

The percentage of people who study at Masters Level is very small so in addition to getting the right fit hockey wise, you have to make sure that the hockey player has the intellectual capacity to cope with a demanding course.... must make life very difficult.

And yes, I am aware that I used "intellectual capacity" and "hockey player" in the same paragraph...

Finny

How many other EIHL clubs this season signed players on Uni deals straight from the AHL?

Or perhaps a better question would be, who are the Uni-deal players on other teams?

Wannabe2

For christs sake do you have any idea how many players have played AHL and turned out to be pretenders. Both Tyson and Osaer came to us from echl teams. Forget the they have played here they have played there it dont mean diddly squat, where the hell did Tylor play, Derek Campbell, Mark Smith our sniper. MC, Shinedog, Lawless etc etc.

osh

We never had a player called Todd Gillingham playing for the Devils.........but we did have a cardboard cut out ice for us called Gillingham !!!!

Wannabe2

This geezer also played 240 games in the AHL, and what a joke this prat was Corey Beaulieu. Think my point is made on this one. :lol: :lol: :lol:

jimmy snels

Rhythm said:
Wannabe2 said:
Todd Gillingham played 266 games in the AHL need i say anymore. :roll:
Discussion settled. Wannabe winner on a TKO.
obviously your both taking the AHL comment i made and found a couple of players that were poor accusitions, and i agree they were! I would be interested to know the answer to the same question i asked earlier to wannabe2 tho. Do YOU think that the players on uni deals this year match up to our previous years? The fact i stated that id rather sign a player to these uni deals who has alot of higher league experiance is somehow a negtive? Im stating my opinion not slagging off anyone elses :?

dobben and pierce in my opinion are no where near the same player standard of previous years and seen as tho these two are regularly getting grief onn here in the same way Romfo did for quite a while im amazed no one else agrees? anyhow i seem to be out numbered on this one :lol:

Paul Sullivan

jimmy snels said:
Rhythm said:
Wannabe2 said:
Todd Gillingham played 266 games in the AHL need i say anymore. :roll:
Discussion settled. Wannabe winner on a TKO.
obviously your both taking the AHL comment i made and found a couple of players that were poor accusitions, and i agree they were! I would be interested to know the answer to the same question i asked earlier to wannabe2 tho. Do YOU think that the players on uni deals this year match up to our previous years? The fact i stated that id rather sign a player to these uni deals who has alot of higher league experiance is somehow a negtive? Im stating my opinion not slagging off anyone elses :?

dobben and pierce in my opinion are no where near the same player standard of previous years and seen as tho these two are regularly getting grief onn here in the same way Romfo did for quite a while im amazed no one else agrees? anyhow i seem to be out numbered on this one :lol:
No but you do seem to be labouring the point a little :?

And for the record I never went and found any players that were pants even though they were AHL - that's all Wannabe....

Edited to add: I don't think it's fair to compare Scott and Jeff to Romfo - The biggest criticism of Jeff and Scott so far seems to be that they are good but not spectacular, whereas Romfo was said to be costing us games. (Remember the Romfgo thread, anyone?)

Sheincar

osh said:
We never had a player called Todd Gillingham playing for the Devils.........but we did have a cardboard cut out ice for us called Gillingham !!!!
And a damn good job he did of planting himself in front of goalies & obstructing their views. What a pity no-one does that now.

osh

Sheincar said:
osh said:
And a damn good job he did of planting himself in front of goalies & obstructing their views. What a pity no-one does that now.

Yep, a bit of truth in that for sure........he wasn't mobile enough to do anything else, one of the worst imports to ever put a Devils shirt on IMO.