Inferno calm before the storm ….

kingmo19.1

Thread starter #1
Very quiet on here at the moment, but come Sat/Sun night ……

Posts of anger/joy, commiseration/celebration - where did it go right / did it go wrong!

Many will be jubilant at success, Mazzoak will be jubilant at any failure and the fault will be laid squarely at Lordo’s door!

To be hotly followed by the mass postings of people summarising their view on the season and then the interesting player keep/let go opinions (I do enjoy that).

It’ll then be a lull whilst the dust settles, hopefully followed soon after by a coaching announcement!

Hot On the heels of that it’ll be the drip feed of player signings and comparisons with opposition rosters.

Then when it’s all said and done, Wannabe will type his rousing season opener and off we go again for the 22-23 season!

Mazzoak

Would be nice to have Lord back to blame, l was getting a bit bored of being one of the few people backing Skalde.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

Can’t wait, let’s pick up the final trophy of the season, spend a bit of time soaking up the glory and hopefully the sun rays chillin out. Then have the usual conflab about who’s going, who’s staying, who,s new, who the heck is the coach how long is it till season 22-23. Finding all the faults in the other pretenders rosters, and how bloody good do we look and how tough is it going to be to beat us. But in the meantime all you guys who are going to Nottingham have a blast, all those watching on tv enjoy the games,Let’s go Devils.

Gavevs88

Can’t wait, let’s pick up the final trophy of the season, spend a bit of time soaking up the glory and hopefully the sun rays chillin out. Then have the usual conflab about who’s going, who’s staying, who,s new, who the heck is the coach how long is it till season 22-23. Finding all the faults in the other pretenders rosters, and how bloody good do we look and how tough is it going to be to beat us. But in the meantime all you guys who are going to Nottingham have a blast, all those watching on tv enjoy the games,Let’s go Devils.
Can't wait to get there, overpriced tickets or not I can't wait for a weekend of hockey, mates and beers.

Kevlar68

Bowns would be my guess. Getting the band back together.
I don't get the fascination with going backwards. What next, Dougie, MO and Mac?
We will be 3 seasons on since bowns, Martin, Fournier, lord etc and building our future is what's needed not looking at a veteran's team of past glories.

Last edited:

Rempel16

I don't get the fascination with going backwards. What next, Dougie, MO and Mac.
We will be 3 seasons on since bowns, Martin, Fournier, lord etc and building our future is what's needed not looking at a veteran's team of past glories.
To an extent I agree with you... But i think there's mitigating circumstances in play here. Would we have lost Joey Martin had it not been for the pandemic? I don't think so, and to a lesser extent, the same with Fournier.

Bowns needed to have the opportunity to go an experience playing abroad, to avoid that post-career regret. He's done that, and if it now means he returns with a new lease of life then I'm ok with it.

moggy#9

To an extent I agree with you... But i think there's mitigating circumstances in play here. Would we have lost Joey Martin had it not been for the pandemic? I don't think so, and to a lesser extent, the same with Fournier.

Bowns needed to have the opportunity to go an experience playing abroad, to avoid that post-career regret. He's done that, and if it now means he returns with a new lease of life then I'm ok with it.
I guess the question here is are any of the players past their peak, and can we get someone for the same position who is better? I would hate for us to become the sort of club who recruited based on nostalgia or reputation rather than actual, present day playing ability. Success and sentiment rarely go hand in hand. That said, if Martin and fournier are still at the same level, I'd welcome them back. In bownsy's case I'd expect him to accept a sensible split of starts with another capable goalie.

Last edited:

kingmo19.1

Thread starter #17
Something to bear in mind, if players do return, for example Martin, the role expected may now be somewhat different to that previously. Previously he was our 1st line centre, but that might not be the case going forward. He’ll be 34 at the start of the season, so likely 2nd line.

Rempel16

I guess the question here is are any of the players past their peak, and can we get someone for the same position who is better? I would hate for us to become the sort of club who recruited based on nostalgia or reputation rather than actual, present day playing ability. Success and sentiment rarely go hand in hand. That said, if Martin and fournier are still at the same level, I'd welcome them back. In bownsy's case I'd expect him to accept a sensible split of starts with another capable goalie.
Really good points.

I'd have no concerns over Fournier, he's still in his peak years.
Could Martin feasibly be the 2nd line centre with Coughler centering the top line?

We could potentially have two top lines as opposed to a Line 1, Line 2.

Our PP units could be pretty special too.

tim78

I thought the GOAT wasn't our first line centre towards the last season. Linglet was the top scorer season before and then Joey H on the last.

For me Fournier will still be a top D man.
I'd put Coughler above Joey next season, but we won't know until (if) a month into the season