Intimidating/Loyal and sometimes annoying rinks/supporters!!!

Earnie

Correction to the above:
It was in Minsk. Remember Squirt? She saw the dead body while in the bar at a hotel.
The family had been contacted to collect the body but by the time they arrived someone had stolen his shoes. This is going back a bit.(early nineties)

This was the first season in division 1 South. Telford and Slough were the contenders for the league. Slough had strengthen themselves with players from Streatham, whilst Telford under Chuck Taylor, were more akin to something out of slapshot.

That was the first season that we had Shannon hope, and he was arguably the best player in the league. Telford had recruited Tim salmon and Kevin Conway, who had a devastating partnership at ayr.

Telford's rink was absolutely packed and the atmosphere created by the Telford fans was very uncomfortable, particularly with some of us packed around the plexiglass and surrounded by their fans.

I seem to remember that Shannon was causing havoc for the Tigers, but the physically much smaller devils players were getting an absolute physical pasting. The referee was calling very little and devils fans and players were getting frustrated about the lack of protection. Then partway through the second period whilst skating behind the goal where I stood, salmon appeared to jab Shannon's face with his stick causing a horrible injury. Absolute mayhem ensued. I'm not sure, despite lawless' and kanewischer's protests there wasn't even a penalty called. As a result the devils skated off the ice back to their changing room. There was utter confusion. Eventually it was announced that the devils would not come back and the match was abandoned. The Telford fans were livid.

While the fans' bus drove down the M5 we became aware that there was a police vehicle following us. When we reached the services we were due to stop at, a police vehicle was blocking the entrance. The same at the next one too. We eventually had to go all the way to Bristol and stop at aust services.

It eventually emerged that someone in Telford had accused the devils fans of hooliganism, and had the police treat us like football thugs. The club made a complaint about this and there was subsequently iirc an apology from West Mercia police published on the match programme.

I seem to remember that the club was fined for the walk off, but this was only £1000. Some suggested that this was a result of other clubs having their own complaints about Telford's conduct that season.

The home game against the Tigers was a powder keg, but the league assigned a premier Division ref. Unfortunately the devils couldn't complete, but after that season Telford weren't a force again.

(Thanks to Anthony Beer's book "it's funny when you win everything" for jogging my memory on a couple of things.)
I just bought a copy of the Anthony Beer book and its such a great resource for anyone who missed out on 80's/90s UK Hockey. My only complaint is the book sticks quite rigidly to the game stats and signings while skimming over some of the surrounding context. For example, I just read about how Perry Olivier was asked to leave at the start of the 88-89 season even though Perry had racked up like 111 points in around 50 odd games the season before. I can't help but wonder what went on there. Love the book though, highly recommend it.

fridaysfingers

Perry Olivier wasn’t of the quality the club needed to make the jump to the next level.
In fairness the book was more a look back on recent seasons so people kinda knew the backstories..

Wannabe2

Correct those stats look awesome now, but then they were pretty average, Perry served a purpose for that season but most certainly wasn’t going to be able to contribute what was needed for the journey Devils were to embark on. And history proves that.

Correct those stats look awesome now, but then they were pretty average, Perry served a purpose for that season but most certainly wasn’t going to be able to contribute what was needed for the journey Devils were to embark on. And history proves that.
I wouldve loved to see Olivier have a another season but as you say The right decision was made

moggy#9

I just bought a copy of the Anthony Beer book and its such a great resource for anyone who missed out on 80's/90s UK Hockey. My only complaint is the book sticks quite rigidly to the game stats and signings while skimming over some of the surrounding context. For example, I just read about how Perry Olivier was asked to leave at the start of the 88-89 season even though Perry had racked up like 111 points in around 50 odd games the season before. I can't help but wonder what went on there. Love the book though, highly recommend it.
I seem to remember that lawless said it was the hardest thing he had to do in getting rid of Perry. But he knew the club has to grow, and he had one of the best players ever in the British game waiting in the wings.

I'm sure it was the right decision in the end, but that season Lawless lead with 95 goals, then Olivier with 85 and then there's a huge gap between him and the 3rd best scorer who was Shannon Hope with 50. Even for old school stats that seems above average haha. Must have been a blow to the fans at the time. I ended up watching the entirety of the 1990 Wembley cup final against Murrayfield last night after and now I wish I watched more retro Devils during the COVID drought.

The points totals you quote there put Olivier 23rd in league scoring, Lawless 19th.
Forth place and above scored over at least 100 more points.
Perry had a great slapshot which he scored a lot from against 3rd grade British goalies, but I would imagine was pretty limited in reality
Having watched the Wembley finals and recorded them, when Moria was announced even then with no hockey knowledge (not much more now, before you all say it) I could see how good he was compared to players around him.
It may have been a difficult decision emotionally to offload Olivier, as he was there from the start and no doubt a big help to Lawless, but long term plan wise pretty easy.

The points totals you quote there put Olivier 23rd in league scoring, Lawless 19th.
Forth place and above scored over at least 100 more points.
Perry had a great slapshot which he scored a lot from against 3rd grade British goalies, but I would imagine was pretty limited in reality
Having watched the Wembley finals and recorded them, when Moria was announced even then with no hockey knowledge (not much more now, before you all say it) I could see how good he was compared to players around him.
It may have been a difficult decision emotionally to offload Olivier, as he was there from the start and no doubt a big help to Lawless, but long term plan wise pretty easy.
Ah this really puts it into context, cheers. Christ it really was a high scoring game back then.

kingmo19.1

Make no bones about it, the standard was far from great in those days.

I’d have bet £50 on Wannabe putting up 30 points a season using hire skates back in those days!

Wannabe2

Thanks guys, nice to know some people have confidence in you, didnt need hired skates as Hilton gave me his old cast offs, yes they were a size too big, yes they were beaten up quite bad. But with the aid of my hired penguin I could complete a lap of the rink in 25/ 30 mins, so could have given the best a run for their money. I was helped a lot in fairness as I attended a few sessions of the Robert Millette advanced hockey school academy, which obviously took me to another level. Stay Safe All.

moggy#9

Ah this really puts it into context, cheers. Christ it really was a high scoring game back then.
Don't forget that most teams were running on 1.5 to 2 lines. Some players notably Chris kelland at Murrayfield was known for doing 60 minutes a night. A decent import would skate around British d men like they were bollards.

moggy#9

Thanks guys, nice to know some people have confidence in you, didnt need hired skates as Hilton gave me his old cast offs, yes they were a size too big, yes they were beaten up quite bad. But with the aid of my hired penguin I could complete a lap of the rink in 25/ 30 mins, so could have given the best a run for their money. I was helped a lot in fairness as I attended a few sessions of the Robert Millette advanced hockey school academy, which obviously took me to another level. Stay Safe All.
Oh, for goodness sake. Don't get started on Robert millette. I still get a facial twitch when in hear his name.

Wannabe2

Call it what you want, it was so amazingly exciting, we raised the roof every night we played, and we all loved that night out, it was like nothing we had ever experienced, it was fast, physical, and too us then very skilful. We all took it to our hearts and it was never going to leave us, watching a great sport, and making so many friends, and having a blast, yes by today’s standards it was inferior, but as a night out it was second to nothing. Stay Safe All.

kingmo19.1

Call it what you want, it was so amazingly exciting, we raised the roof every night we played, and we all loved that night out, it was like nothing we had ever experienced, it was fast, physical, and too us then very skilful. We all took it to our hearts and it was never going to leave us, watching a great sport, and making so many friends, and having a blast, yes by today’s standards it was inferior, but as a night out it was second to nothing. Stay Safe All.
100% agree with you - it was all we knew at the time. Compare it v EIHL today and the standard was dire - but we still rightly loved it as we knew no different.

moggy#9

100% agree with you - it was all we knew at the time. Compare it v EIHL today and the standard was dire - but we still rightly loved it as we knew no different.
Well, I think we had an idea when the likes of dynamo Moscow or CSKA came over and had to split their squad in two because only four or five of our players were good enough. Or we had to borrow the imports from Slough and Swindon.