Jarrod Skalde Case Mentioned

Gazr76

Thread starter #1
Interesting listen on the Steve Dangle Podcast (a well known Toronto Maple Leaf podcast) from back home in Canada.

*** Please note this content contains information and details pertaining to the recent sexual assault charges involving the Chicago Blackhawks, Kyle Beach and others. Trigger warning - if you are a survivor of sexual assault or have been affected by this in anyway discretion is advised***

At around the 38 minute mark the case involving Jarrod Skalde is mentioned.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0KgyPf8BrklQ8ozBJxuG7F

or

Last edited:

Devils86

If this was the first we were hearing about this issue then I could see that it would be in bad taste for it to be 'broken' on a forum. However this has been in the public domain for some time. I'm not sure censoring the brief discussion of the situation is the solution.

Nobody has (to date on here) made any inflammatory or derogatory comments and it seems to be a very sensible discussion on the video (admittedly I skipped to the Skalde bit). Ironic that this all seems to stem from being afraid to come forward when crimes are committed or not being believed/covered up.

The bravery to stand up against those who are committing crimes should be encouraged and applauded, whilst respecting their privacy by not making jokes, prying further, or otherwise being rude. Which I can't see has happened here?

I appreciate people have their own opinions on it - the above is mine and hopefully I've tried to explain why I currently hold that opinion.

If people disagree I would genuinely like to understand why this should be deleted and/or which rules of the forum it has broken?

august04 2.0

If this was the first we were hearing about this issue then I could see that it would be in bad taste for it to be 'broken' on a forum. However this has been in the public domain for some time. I'm not sure censoring the brief discussion of the situation is the solution.

Nobody has (to date on here) made any inflammatory or derogatory comments and it seems to be a very sensible discussion on the video (admittedly I skipped to the Skalde bit). Ironic that this all seems to stem from being afraid to come forward when crimes are committed or not being believed/covered up.

The bravery to stand up against those who are committing crimes should be encouraged and applauded, whilst respecting their privacy by not making jokes, prying further, or otherwise being rude. Which I can't see has happened here?

I appreciate people have their own opinions on it - the above is mine and hopefully I've tried to explain why I currently hold that opinion.

If people disagree I would genuinely like to understand why this should be deleted and/or which rules of the forum it has broken?
Agreed. It’s in the public domain and given the publicity surrounding the recent Blackhawks case, this may get a lot more media focus in the coming months.

Mazzoak

I don’t see an issue with this being on the forum. Jarrod and his partner are victims, not perpetrators. It’s in the public domain and frankly one way to prevent these situations is to be openly discussed whenever it’s possible. No person is above the law, no rights are removed just because that person holds a position of power and influence.

fridaysfingers

Great measured and thought out post Devils86.
I agree that it should remain, but I would prefer that people don't comment on it as we do not know the facts or circumstances.
It's not opinions on a hockey game we are talking about here.

Gospel

This is from a very well respected ESPN writer & is directly from the legall team of Erin Sklade. Given the recent case of Kyle Beach and the issues within the NHL it could have massive implications for the NHL going forward.

Attachments

Devils86

This is from a very well respected ESPN writer & is directly from the legall team of Erin Sklade. Given the recent case of Kyle Beach and the issues within the NHL it could have massive implications for the NHL going forward.
This is welcome from the Skalde's perspective but will mean that legal proceedings being initiated all forum comments on the same need be carefully restricted. Not sure if Rhode Island has juries to decide on such matters (I'm not a US law expert!).

Best of luck to Mrs Skalde

Gospel

All of this is already in the public domain. US law is much different to UK and nothing thats said here will have any bearing whatsoever on the case.

I dont why people so dead against talking about this?! This is potentially massive and its not as if its like a secret. We are nit breaking any laws, jeez its being reported on ESPN, TSN & other media outlets. Get a grip people

Interesting to note that the Penguins want the case resolved in private rather than having it in an open court.

Cant be easy for either of the Skalde’s right now.

Devils86

Gospel, we have no idea what may be said here and just as most of us are posting from the UK doesn't mean we are outside of US jurisdiction.

Online comments etc are fast becoming a legal issue with reporting restrictions etc - doesn't hurt to be proactive.

Swarley

All of this is already in the public domain. US law is much different to UK and nothing thats said here will have any bearing whatsoever on the case.

I dont why people so dead against talking about this?! This is potentially massive and its not as if its like a secret. We are nit breaking any laws, jeez its being reported on ESPN, TSN & other media outlets. Get a grip people

Interesting to note that the Penguins want the case resolved in private rather than having it in an open court.

Cant be easy for either of the Skalde’s right now.
I get what you're saying but honestly how do you think the Skalde's feel with his new clubs fan base talking about it on a forum.

And get a grip? I agree with you on that, people really do need to get a grip if the only way they feel entertained or excited is to discuss our coaches previous clubs court case.

If people are that desperate to gossip do it in private chat and not on the forum.

Gospel

Posts can be removed, no need to close a whole thread ‘just in case’. Discussing the case on here will never result in any action in the US. Discussing potential outcomes will nit result in any action. Discussing how the team did or did not deal with the allegation will result in no action.

If people dont want to talk about then they dont have to post.

Plus there are no reporting restrictions imposed, you can actually search online for the earlier court hearings for this case.

Mazzoak

Unless any party involved begins writing here there is no issue. So stating forum comments need to be restricted is frankly ridiculous, lets not get into debate on this though. The importance is no comment is made in public by the Skaldes, that would have legal implications in so much as it would jeopardise any court case they’d bring. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Last edited:

Mazzoak

The only implication for us l can see is maybe our coach doesn’t have his head fully in the game. New country, new team, new league and obviously this will have an impact on his relationship. Every man faced with this will have questions, whether that be did his partner encourage, flirt to why didn’t l see this happen and react. Any outside sexual intrusion will strain even the strongest relationships and men generally don’t handle these situations very well.

I wish the Skalde‘s well and hope they remain strong through this......

Last edited: