Joey Martin on a One Year Deal to Norway

Kevlar68

I do have one worry. IF joey enjoys the league and the team he could make the decision to stay. Our organisation has never stood in the way of players wanting to move on and our players have. So nothing is definite that he will return. Only time will tell.
Look at Blood for a example. Signed for a season but moved on half way through.

Wannabe2

I do have one worry. IF joey enjoys the league and the team he could make the decision to stay. Our organisation has never stood in the way of players wanting to move on and our players have. So nothing is definite that he will return. Only time will tell.
Look at Blood for a example. Signed for a season but moved on half way through.
Blood never had the affinity with our club as Joey has, Cardiff was never Bloods second home, Also Blood wasn’t Welsh.

pjj365

Panthers' way of doing this might result in having to have a complete rebuild, whereas our team won't forget that they've been looked after and we will likely head into 21/22 picking up where we left off.

I know which club has more of my admiration on a professional level, and it's not the Panthers.
TBF in an interview (with BBC Notts IRC) Black stated they were not making signing announcements so as not to discourage offers. He also said there were signings but they were more letters of intent.
Same result - different approach

august04

Blood never had the affinity with our club as Joey has, Cardiff was never Bloods second home, Also Blood wasn’t Welsh.
Yes he has a great affinity with our club but he’s a professional athlete, not getting any younger and money talks. These guys have a limited career span and need to maximise their earnings while they can and wherever they can. They’re not short of a few bob in Norway (!), even if the cost of living is horrifically expensive. I hope he comes back to Cardiff but there must be some uncertainty over that, despite what’s been said today.

Diafol

As much as we all love Joey, hasn't it always been said that the club is bigger than any one player ?

I don't blame him one bit for moving on, he has to do what is right for himself.

I just hope we still have a league for him to play in once all this is over.

Wannabe2

I don’t blame Joey one bit, the lad needs to earn a living and he found it a very difficult decision to make, and it’s hats off to our organisation for taking the attitude that they have. If the league goes ahead we will have to play without our man for a season.

Rempel16

TBF in an interview (with BBC Notts IRC) Black stated they were not making signing announcements so as not to discourage offers. He also said there were signings but they were more letters of intent.
Same result - different approach
That for me isn't the same result. I guess we will only see when hockey returns and if we have a roster similar to this year, compared to their roster of 15 new faces.

SteveKing

I just want everybody to know that despite doing the right thing for our players, we are not giving up on this season. I think it’s fair to say that starting in December is starting to look unlikely but if we can play a shortened season starting some time in the new year, we will absolutely do that. I think it’s extremely important for our club and our league to stay relevant with our fans. It’s also extremely important for our staff and players. Most will not be able to find jobs in leagues that are starting because there are very few that do have certainty which means that players from every other league will be looking to go there too. The Norwegian government is subsidizing the league so that they can play with minimal fans. Not many countries will do that.

So we will do everything in our power to provide employment for them and entertainment for our fans. In the meantime we will wait and pray like everybody else.

matbur

Any competition that is able to go ahead this season (and regardless of what people would like, highly likely that it wouldn't be capacity attendances) will clearly be a second rate affair and a last ditch attempt to generate some income and to give people live hockey - not that there's anything wrong with either.

Joey Martin is of well within his rights to leave, especially in the current circumstances. Hopefully he's as good as his word and returns next season as he's a wonderful asset to the team.

This does send a clear message though throughout British hockey and any player worth is salt is going to seek work overseas whilst the uncertainty continues. It'll be Interesting to see how many of the players who do make alternative plans do actually return next season and it would be sad if it resulted in a longer-term talent drain in the EIHL, although I'm sure when the money returns, so will the players.

Todd Kelman is holding a Twitter Q and A this evening - again the Devils are being transparent and approachable and this should be applauded.

Edit: This was written before the above post.

Steve - appreciate your insight and communication again, but with respect, and I understand you have to plan accordingly, the December start date was never realistic and if your aim is to host full capacity games later this season, then neither is that.

Last edited:

Ocko

I do worry that he may like it there too much. I’ve been to Stavanger a few times and it’s a really nice place. Hopefully the cost of living (tenner a pint!!!) and trips up to the Arctic circle to play Narvik put him off!

I’ll be spending the winter in Norway again. Unfortunately in the bleak most northern parts but I’ll be able to get over to watch his games against the Narkvik Eagles and possibly a game against the two Oslo teams if I can get down there.

Diablo3

Good luck Joey and well done the Devils in allowing the players to at least look elsewhere even if competition is tough.
When it comes to our season, I think the best we could hope for is a mini tournament sometime next year, and that is only if we are allowed to get the fans in the rinks. We are a bums on seats league after all.

I doubt we can put this one to bed until we either have herd immunity or there is a vaccine.

Panthers' way of doing this might result in having to have a complete rebuild, whereas our team won't forget that they've been looked after and we will likely head into 21/22 picking up where we left off.

I know which club has more of my admiration on a professional level, and it's not the Panthers.
One team haven't been handing out the begging bowls in the past and another has.. so what's this about professionalism?

If you think you'll pick up where you left off that's your opinion...

That for me isn't the same result. I guess we will only see when hockey returns and if we have a roster similar to this year, compared to their roster of 15 new faces.
If you think 15 imports will just hang fire for a year because caridff is such a amazing place more fool you. Sorry to be a party pooper .. stay safe

pjj365

Bad wording
By same result I mean giving "signed" players some freedom. Nothing to do with this year's or future rosters. Simply recognising that players are playing their trade and need to earn a living

Kevlar68

And we've heard this before on the forum.

Hotham - He won't leave he loves the club and is settled. Left
Lord - He won't leave, he's got a deal. Left.
Bowns - No way is he leaving he's settled here. Left

I really do hope Joey does come back but long term devil's players have left before when people were certain they'd stay.

Rempel16

One team haven't been handing out the begging bowls in the past and another has.. so what's this about professionalism?

If you think you'll pick up where you left off that's your opinion...
Not under this ownership they haven't????

Thanks for confirming that my opinion is my opinion.