JOSH

BostonBart22

Thread starter #1
I see pete russell has not picked josh for the GB friendly in feb. as he is playing his best hockey this season the only reason i can think of is they had a bit of a disagreement on not being picked last time out, ah well Josh do your biz at clan saturday night and play your normal game and show the clown what he is missing..

Diablo3

Maybe, I read through the article on it, and Pete Russell said he was trying as many new players as possible and leaving out some established guys. Maybe he is already confident in Josh's role

Devil_Abroad

Maybe, I read through the article on it, and Pete Russell said he was trying as many new players as possible and leaving out some established guys. Maybe he is already confident in Josh's role
Don’t believe he’s ever picked Josh

He’s also picked his favourite D who is currently sidelined through injury, wears orange, and floats like a butterfly.....

Beyond me.....

jimmy snels

for phillips to be picked ahead of him is shocking, let alone all those actually not brits sneaking more and more into the team. it must be frustrating for Josh

RTfarty

Like him or not, Dave Phillips is proven on the international stage and plays top 4 minutes/special teams for the Steelers. Bearing in mind the majority of us only see Phillips (and the rest of the GB team) play a handful of games each year in our own rink, it's easy to criticise somebody for a few bad performances when they play against us, and I'm inclined to trust the decisions made by a coach who has picked a gold medal winning team two years in a row.

Through no fault of his own Batch doesn't have the same proven experience on the international stage, nor does he play the same minutes or role as a Phillips/O'connor/Ehrhardt etc. - so I can understand the reasoning behind Pete Russel's selections, especially when you consider the opposition this time around!

However.. these warm up games would've been a great opportunity for Josh to make a case for himself with the improvements he has made this season, especially given his performances against CHL opposition which was some of the best hockey I think he's ever played. It's also worth bearing in mind that this isn't the final selection for the World Championships. There will be other warm up games and a lot can happen in 2/3 months, so he may get an opportunity yet.

I also expect some of the GB stalwarts may retire from the international stage over the next 12-24 months, which will pave the way for Batch and others to get their opportunity.

ASHIPP

Would imagine some of the British players are as flumuxed about the omission of Josh as the fans are. Struggling to see which 'experienced players' Russell has omitted from this latest squad. One or two selections in there are not even playing well for their Club teams.......

kristian

Just wondering how does he get to see everyone play is it just the highlights we see or do you think he watches the entire game from the webcasts. Can't be easy.

Diablo3

I think he has an old underground bunker in Glasgow with banks of monitors and perhaps a white cat.... Or more likely he just watches the webcasts. But obviously not from Guildford or the Panthers. I guess he doesn't need one for Glasgow. ;)

kristian

It must be hard job not being able to watch the guys live week in week out.And being able to talk to them about how they game is going were he thinks they not to improve to get into squad ect.

voth26

Like him or not, Dave Phillips is proven on the international stage and plays top 4 minutes/special teams for the Steelers. Bearing in mind the majority of us only see Phillips (and the rest of the GB team) play a handful of games each year in our own rink, it's easy to criticise somebody for a few bad performances when they play against us, and I'm inclined to trust the decisions made by a coach who has picked a gold medal winning team two years in a row.

Through no fault of his own Batch doesn't have the same proven experience on the international stage, nor does he play the same minutes or role as a Phillips/O'connor/Ehrhardt etc. - so I can understand the reasoning behind Pete Russel's selections, especially when you consider the opposition this time around!

However.. these warm up games would've been a great opportunity for Josh to make a case for himself with the improvements he has made this season, especially given his performances against CHL opposition which was some of the best hockey I think he's ever played. It's also worth bearing in mind that this isn't the final selection for the World Championships. There will be other warm up games and a lot can happen in 2/3 months, so he may get an opportunity yet.

I also expect some of the GB stalwarts may retire from the international stage over the next 12-24 months, which will pave the way for Batch and others to get their opportunity.
Sorry but I disagree with about Phillips, don't rate him at all. Light weight Dman, poor in playing the body, not great positioning wise or physically, first pass not the best. Plus as he's out injured and has been for a few weeks then you have to question the logic as will be be up to game fitness. As for playing a role as far as I'm aware Phillips doesn't play any special role for the Steelers or GB and is even seen as the weakest steelers D man by some Steelers fans, just my thoughts.

E.D.S.

Appreciate I’ll be very unpopular with this view but I personally don’t feel Josh is good enough right now. His passing has been sloppy, creating unnecessary pressure in our zone. Bit more concentration and focus and I think he’ll get there but I’ve found him very frustrating in our zone.