Junior development

Johnnybravo1927

Just been to collect tickets and stayed at the Arena for 30 odd mins.

Patience will be rewarded. About 50 kids there from virtual toddlers to pre-teens being put through their paces by a fair few teenage lads with half a dozen or so adult coaches/supervisors. Numerous skills based exercises being undertaken. But I'm not sure it's fair to play grandmother's footsteps with little ones who need their sticks to stand upright let alone stop and stand still - but it was fun to watch!

Fair few ExtreemEdge shirts there so that's commitment in kid's time and parent's time (and money!).

Wonder how the club could support this kind of activity - maybe they do!
That was the xtreme edges training, this is a brilliant organisation headed up by former EIHL lino Sam Mottom and he gets some other devils players involved sometimes. After 'graduation' from Xtreme edges the kids then move onto the Junior Devils

Isn’t Charles Linglet helping coach the age group that his son plays at?

Great post Jonnybravo!!!
Do you know how the player numbers compare to 5, 10, 15 years ago etc??

pjj365

That was the xtreme edges training, this is a brilliant organisation headed up by former EIHL lino Sam Mottom and he gets some other devils players involved sometimes. After 'graduation' from Xtreme edges the kids then move onto the Junior Devils
Not sure I've seen so many kids enjoying themselves so much in a longtime - well done Sam

Johnnybravo1927

Isn’t Charles Linglet helping coach the age group that his son plays at?

Great post Jonnybravo!!!
Do you know how the player numbers compare to 5, 10, 15 years ago etc??
Charles does a bit for xtreme edges as they also hold camps etc for players not in their academy ( may have moved on to the jr devils). His son does play for the JR Devils u11s. Trevor Hendrikx also has a very good thing going on and utilises current players. The nezt Hendrikx camp has 5 or 6 current devils players on it. We are very lucky as a club to have these additional items but what we really need is more coaches ( current coaches are brilliant but we stretch them very thin) and financial investment

pjj365

How about left field tomorrow with owners Q&A - how are they/can they support the kids whether part of junior devils or not

Was not development of hockey in Wales one of their earlier promises rather than taking profits - assuming of course that there are profits!

doron

well iv enjoyed the u20s tournament ,GB 5 - V SERBIA 2 good game

it was stated in a earlier post by ( Leighton)

There is talent in cardiff but the club does have competition in the shape of our friends down the road - swindon. you would be suprised how many cardiff players go east, can only think of one swindon player who came west in recent times, and he's now in bracknell.
swindon has trials, a/b teams and an in house league, cardiff doesnt have trials and all are welcome regardless of current skill level.

So my question is what can be done or is being done to give junior player more reason to stay and not go west ? is available ice time the underlying factor.

moggy#9

Thread starter #28
Ok, another dumb question from me then. We're pretty fortunate to have a 2 pad rink. Has that done anything to lessen pressure on ice time, or has the growth in figure skating, rec hockey and the need for public skating absorbed the available capacity?

Johnnybravo1927

Ok, another dumb question from me then. We're pretty fortunate to have a 2 pad rink. Has that done anything to lessen pressure on ice time, or has the growth in figure skating, rec hockey and the need for public skating absorbed the available capacity?
far from a stupid question. The extra pad is a bonus but its worth remembering it has all the public skating on it, we need coaches just to scrimmage ( ratios of coaches to players and at least a level 2 coach) and the extra expense of top of already expensive fees. What we need more than anything is extra coaches with level 2 and funding for training equipment. In a perfect situation we would also be able to offer the coaches expenses and not pay monthly fees for their own kids

Leighton

far from a dumb question. from memory (i havent looked at the ice schedule in over a month) there are perhaps 2 hours of free ice (i.e not used) during the week. even with 2 pads its almost at capacity unless you want to train at 6am.

moggy#9

Thread starter #31
far from a dumb question. from memory (i havent looked at the ice schedule in over a month) there are perhaps 2 hours of free ice (i.e not used) during the week. even with 2 pads its almost at capacity unless you want to train at 6am.
That's astonishing. Though I imagine in the middle of the day it's fairly quiet. I guess it's a "if you build it, they will come" scenario.