Justin Sawyer Beefs up the blue line

ASHIPP

G has said that Justin is a defenceman as well as being able to drop the gloves when needed. Whilst it must be re-assuring for the guys that they have someone of his stature (and who is willing to fight) protecting them, being a 'rock solid, patrol the blue line, stop the opposition, clear the puck quickly' dman is the kind of player he hopefully is. This is much more constructive/effective in a lot of instances than spending time in the bin. :x
Would you like to be the opposition forward having to negociate past Justin to get to the net? No Sir! :shock:

James

Administrator
jodysstillagirlsname said:
Especially as the League disciplinary panel is now encamped in Steelers Towers
With the foundations of Steelers Towers rapidly eroding, that might not be such a problem in the future.

Rempel16 said:
mp43 said:
Sounds a good signing on playing ability,but my main concern here is that i watched about 15 of his fights on youtube and there wasn't a single fight that he could be classed as the winner in. Several, he more than held his own but still got beaten,and the rest he got beaten quite easily. My fear is that the enforcing duties are gonna be mainly down to vother again,and the penalties and suspensions that come with it.
I guess that's down to opinion. I thought he only got beaten in about 3 of the videos.

The rest were good scraps fought to a draw.

What I did like is that he is quite an open fighter and should be exciting to watch.

Besides, it's not how many you win or lose, it's how many you show up for. Maciver wasn't a good fighter at all, but he was willing and stepped up at the right moments. He didn't win many but the message was still delivered.
Sawyer was only an average fighter when he left the OHL and like most guys struggled to deal with the decent heavyweights in his 1st season in the minors... Sean McMorrow said when he left the OHL as a top fighter in that league, he found the step up in class in the minors was massive, many others top fighters have said the same thing.... Sawyer has been improving each year though, since he joined the minor leagues and last season and the season before that you can see the improvements he made as a fighter..... He dealt with quite a few decent heavyweights in the IHL last year, and was one of the few guys to beat Brett Angel in a fight in the CHL in 2008/09...

Look at Alex Penner as well.. When he came out of the OHL as an average fighter he improved every season and was one of the top fighters in the CHL last year along side the likes of Brett Clouthier, James Delory and the like...

Sawyer is along with Penner, Bernier and Voth the toughest guys signed up to the EIHL so far this season, and he will win more times than he loses in the EIHL next year in my opinion.. But the main thing is you have a guy that will fight anyone at any time if needed..

Finny

I would rather have a defenceman who can fight not that well, than a fighter who can skate but not that well.

Sawyer looks like being that player. If it was a choice between him and Penner (who doesn't seem to be able to play a regular shift) then Sawyer gets my vote every time.

ASHIPP

Loving some of the comments on the Cage about this! Some of the Panthers' fans fail to realise that Justin is signed as a player who can be tough when neccessary....and not a knuckledragging fighter who has been signed specifically for that role. They are concerned that there are now 2 big guys to worry about at the Devils! And when Penner is in the bin, that means that either Brad or Justin will still be on the ice! :cool: Who is in a better position?
And as for their comments generally about the Devils' defence unit :roll: Somehow I don't think anybody will be worrying too much about the Nottingham defence. I mean, apart from Neilson and Zion, who else is there? :lol:

Gazza272

Thread starter #47
ASHIPP said:
Loving some of the comments on the Cage about this! Some of the Panthers' fans fail to realise that Justin is signed as a player who can be tough when neccessary....and not a knuckledragging fighter who has been signed specifically for that role. They are concerned that there are now 2 big guys to worry about at the Devils! And when Penner is in the bin, that means that either Brad or Justin will still be on the ice! :cool: Who is in a better position?
And as for their comments generally about the Devils' defence unit :roll: Somehow I don't think anybody will be worrying too much about the Nottingham defence. I mean, apart from Neilson and Zion, who else is there? :lol:

For me Neilson and Zion are probably the two worst to actually defend that they have signed! The other D men are solid if unspectacular. Which can be a good thing, just look at Mark Richardson for proof of that.

Finny

Gazza272 said:
For me Neilson and Zion are probably the two worst to actually defend that they have signed! The other D men are solid if unspectacular. Which can be a good thing, just look at Mark Richardson for proof of that.
I'd agree with that. Neilson is all "me me me me me me" whilst Zion has one slight flaw for a defenceman in that he can't actually defend that well. Fortunately for them they do look like they have signed a pretty good netminder for once.