Kelly gone? - Club Restructure

TheStub

Re: Re: Kelly gone? - Club Restructure

Finny said:
jester said:
The Giants do have strong competion from other sports Rugby obviously Ulster, local football(unlike the rest of the UK local football attracts big crowds) also GAA.
What are you classing as big crowds? Can't imagine them being bigger than what Cardiff City FC attract?

What do you think has been the major change jester for Belfast from a couple of years ago when they were having to take handouts from the EIHL to even start the season?
Purely out of curiosity Finny, why do you feel the need to have a dig at Jester for sharing the current state of what is one of the more successful franchises in the league?

At the moment we look in trouble - if the strategy works for Giants it could work for Devils.

For what it is worth, I doubt Cardiff City get crowds as good as Swansea, what with you being in the minor leagues.

Finny said:
jester said:
The Giants do have strong competion from other sports Rugby obviously Ulster, local football(unlike the rest of the UK local football attracts big crowds) also GAA.
What are you classing as big crowds? Can't imagine them being bigger than what Cardiff City FC attract?

What do you think has been the major change jester for Belfast from a couple of years ago when they were having to take handouts from the EIHL to even start the season?
(Your missing the local football point Cardiff nearly qualified for the premiership I would compare irish league with non league mainland based football but several teams have over 2000+ every weekend.)

The biggest change is TK he is a hockey person through and through from player to management he has been at the club since the ISL and obviously is very shrewd in his knowledge of what the belfast punter wants. He is also not afraid to try new things (bruins to belfast). and despite what many think he runs a tight ship and budgets to what Belfast can afford. There is much more but i dont want to go on ;)

Gareth,

I think you maths ability needs looking at.

Cardiff City - 5 home league games - average 22,200

Swansea City - 4 home league games - average 19,700

Nott Simpson said:
Gareth,

I think you maths ability needs looking at.

Cardiff City - 5 home league games - average 22,200

Swansea City - 4 home league games - average 19,700
Cheers OJ saved me looking them up, imagine if Cardiff weren't in the minor leagues!

Stub, I didn't see any sarcasm in Finny's post and Jester's answer regarding how TK has turned things round is interesting.

It is fine to say Giants can survive with their staff numbers, but for us to do that it is important to know how they got to that position from their troubles.

For me, the most telling part is describing TK as 'a hockey person'.

TheStub

Nott Simpson said:
Before I get flamed - I agree WEST IS BEST but west finishes on Loughor Bridge
I'm with you there. I just like baiting Cardiff City fans. ;)

Personally I can't stand football.

TheStub

bluedevil said:
Stub, I didn't see any sarcasm in Finny's post and Jester's answer regarding how TK has turned things round is interesting.

It is fine to say Giants can survive with their staff numbers, but for us to do that it is important to know how they got to that position from their troubles.

For me, the most telling part is describing TK as 'a hockey person'.
It seems that every post from Jester is met with an aggressive response from Finny. It is good to understand exactly how the Giants operate. I don't agree that we need to understand the institutional change they went through to get there.

Systems, System Development and System Benchmarking is kinda what I do - and it is usually more important to understand where they are, what works and what doesn't, rather than what failed to get there. Start with their situation and move forward from there.

Maybe you ask to know their biggest mistakes though ;)

Finny

TheStub said:
Purely out of curiosity Finny, why do you feel the need to have a dig at Jester for sharing the current state of what is one of the more successful franchises in the league?
At the moment we look in trouble - if the strategy works for Giants it could work for Devils.
For what it is worth, I doubt Cardiff City get crowds as good as Swansea, what with you being in the minor leagues.
Errr.... there was no dig in the post. If Jester thought there was - I apologise.

It was two simple questions with no hidden motives. I found it strange that he thought local football would be more/equal competition for them as we get from CCFC, so I asked what sort of crowds they got.

I'm still surprised at how they went from nearly not making the start of the season (if rumours are to be believed) only 3 or 4 years ago to now being able to afford spare imports and a stacked line up.
How long has Kelman been running the Giants for?

And as OJ has already pointed out - Cardiff City still get more crowds than Swansea. Heck, we're in the lower division and have still been on TV more than them so far this season! :lol: ;)

Paul Sullivan

TheStub said:
the current state of what is one of the more successful franchises in the league?

There are some who would disagree with you on the definition of success. I know of several people involved in the game in the UK whose opinion it is that the Giants are not the financial success that some believe, however their strength lies in their owner who has a deep love for the club and it's cross-community offering so is prepared to accept losses.

I respect TK as much or more than anyone else in the British game and his innovation and proactive approach is a model for the EIHL in my opinion. However I do sometimes think that repetition equals reputation as far as the finances of the club is concerned. Keeping on saying something is so means that many will believe it is so and that may sometimes be a little misrepresentational.

Giants have large crowds but large rent and large team spend too - whatever people say about recruiting that is a costly unit this year with 12 imports on its books.

Apologies for taking this off topic. I hope that the moves taken by the club will strengthen it for the future. If G is asked to work to a tight budget on the ice, it's only right and proper that the off ice team work to a tight budget too, and utilise the fanbase where the will and the skills are appropriate to do so, if they are happy to help out.

It's a fine line imho between being savvy in the use of cheap / free labour and drawing criticism for looking like you have the begging bowl out. It's not an easy route to navigate. Brent is a huge asset for the club right now, at a time when it truly needs people who know the game and the sport as well as the fans and the sponsors.

I look forward to some new directions and hope things improve for us all soon. I believe we deserve it after the choppy waters of - if we are honest - the last decade.

dont belfast have (or had) 3 millionaire backers ? if so , there you go, we only got the one ! would we have survived the summer without a millionaire at the helm ? ( double edged sword ) would we be in this situation if we had not got involved with steelers, only did that cos we had a millionaire owner, oh how things could have been so very differant for us this season, maybe ? all speculation, makes things interesting but we are in the brown stuff ( again ) and for various reasons shannon, kelly and simon and others have lost there jobs over this which must not be forgotten. no point, pointin fingers like i sort of did just then, it dont change dot. we will just have to pull together again and hope we make it to the opening night in the new rink with a team in the top league in the country. ( wot ever league that is by then ) oh and we have to compeat with rugby, which is a battle best left to the city .

Wannabe2

I have said this sentence time and time again, but its as true today as 25yrs ago. Players come players go, Coaches come coaches go, Owners come owners go. But the fans are always there, and there wouldnt be a club without them. It is not a sign of weakness to ask for help from the very people who have the welfare of the club at heart, and to me thats were this club has fallen down lately. We dont want to return to the days of the begging bowl, thats been strangled to death long ago, but if i was running a shop then i would want to listen to my customers, after all without them there is nothing. I hope the club has turned the corner now and that we can all get on with watching, and enjoying the game we all love. Together we are pretty strong, divided we are pretty shitty to be honest, over 25yrs we have had our fair share of roller coaster rides, but give me this club over every other one of the other lot thank you very much.

Again not being picky here but aren't the two big teams in NI Linfield and Glentoran? - off the top of my head IIRC
Linfield:
Average Attendance
2009-2010: 1,773
2008-2009: 2,218

Not knocking the giants in any way here as TK clearly does a good job!!

Diafol

Finny said:
TheStub said:
Errr.... there was no dig in the post. If Jester thought there was - I apologise.

It was two simple questions with no hidden motives. I found it strange that he thought local football would be more/equal competition for them as we get from CCFC, so I asked what sort of crowds they got.

I'm still surprised at how they went from nearly not making the start of the season (if rumours are to be believed) only 3 or 4 years ago to now being able to afford spare imports and a stacked line up.
How long has Kelman been running the Giants for?

And as OJ has already pointed out - Cardiff City still get more crowds than Swansea. Heck, we're in the lower division and have still been on TV more than them so far this season! :lol: ;)
Big fish in a small pond :lol:

osh

Perhaps now is the time we should ask Liam Stewart to come and join the Devils organisation? Liam - son of Rod Stewart - is now eligible to play for GB under 18's. Get him to join us and Rod could then throw a few bob to help us out ( maybe fly us to the odd game in scotland in his private jet) !!!!!!

osh said:
Perhaps now is the time we should ask Liam Stewart to come and join the Devils organisation? Liam - son of Rod Stewart - is now eligible to play for GB under 18's. Get him to join us and Rod could then throw a few bob to help us out ( maybe fly us to the odd game in scotland in his private jet) !!!!!!
maybe we should see if his mum would like to attend a game too... whats that? There's a hockey game going on?

DevilDom

The Devil said:
osh said:
maybe we should see if his mum would like to attend a game too... whats that? There's a hockey game going on?
I'm sure it would help increase crowds! :lol:

ASHIPP

Rhythm said:
Apologies for taking this off topic. I hope that the moves taken by the club will strengthen it for the future. If G is asked to work to a tight budget on the ice, it's only right and proper that the off ice team work to a tight budget too, and utilise the fanbase where the will and the skills are appropriate to do so, if they are happy to help out.

It's a fine line imho between being savvy in the use of cheap / free labour and drawing criticism for looking like you have the begging bowl out. It's not an easy route to navigate. Brent is a huge asset for the club right now, at a time when it truly needs people who know the game and the sport as well as the fans and the sponsors.

I look forward to some new directions and hope things improve for us all soon. I believe we deserve it after the choppy waters of - if we are honest - the last decade.
(My bold). The Club has a great opportunity here. The Club needs to ASK NOW directly for the help of the fans - there are many people out there who will willingly dedicate their time and efforts to help the Cardiff Devils thrive.
No-one wants to see our beloved Club in trouble. :cry: We've been there several times before and pulled through. It would be a major oversight NOT to use the skills and support of passionate commited volunteers (or a 'free workforce', if you want to be mercenary about it).