Lacosta forced to retire!

youngbob

James said:
As for Dan, all the best with the course and getting back to full health. It was a pleasure to see him play and I always felt confident with the team with him in nets. He looked absolutely gutted in the video. I hope they get him onto the carpet for a cheer on the weekend.
This is worst way to end an illustrious career, and as James suggests, it would be fitting for the crowd to be able to show their appreciation for Dan's contribution this season

Dan says he wants to continue his MBA, so hopefully he'll be able to carry on with some form of coaching role for the remainder of the season

Thanks Dan for the time you've been here, and best wishes for the future

Ocko

At least we are now opening our field of recruitment, in keeping with our previous 2 signings I wouldnt be surprised to see someone from the continent. Which will of course be fairly cost effective as its well known European players have less wage demands and the likelihood of us getting someone in before the weekend who is from N.America with the current visa process will be near impossible unless the wheels are already in motion.

Temme

Devastated for him. Such a shame for a guy with such a talent.

HOWEVER: (I'm going to get a right good slating for this)...

I said from the start to my friends (yes I have some!) that an NHL standard goalie would not come to Cardiff to play hockey. He's hear for education and has feck all interest in hockey. Why would he want to risk injury in a beer league playing for the shandy of all teams.

It just doesn't happen/figure. I smell a rat here...

Maybe his course has now been paid for so he has no need for hockey, maybe he can now pay it himself. I don't know, but I said this would happen from the start and have sadly been proven right.

I'm not disputing he was awesome when on the ice, and always gave his all. But there was no way he was going to finish the year with us, injury or not.

Happy to get a slating on here for being so negative, but if something looks too good to be true, it normally is.

James

Administrator
Temme said:
Gazza272 said:
Temme said:
, but I said this would happen from the start and have sadly been proven right.

No you haven't been prove right. Not by a long long way.
Then I guess he IS finishing the season playing for us? :DWD
But it does sound like he is finishing the season with us. I'm sure barring 3 concussions he'd have played the season out. The ulterior motive might have been the course but he's still a professional sportsman with the desire to compete and win. The fact he's played in the NHL re-enforces this. The commitment from such players always shows through.

Temme

I haven't read the article yet, I thought he was retiring now and we were after a replacement, although from what you're saying he's staying until the end.

I guess I should have read it first!

Sheincar

Temme said:
I haven't read the article yet, I thought he was retiring now and we were after a replacement, although from what you're saying he's staying until the end.

I guess I should have read it first!
:DWD :lol:

such sad news that hes been forced to retire due to the injuries caused over here.

I personally think we should run with Joe Nyers in goal and sign a heavyweight import forward who can protect our players.
Joe would benefit from the game time and he proved on sunday that he is capable of being a decent nettie.
we aint guna win jack this season so dont see what the harm in giving him some game time and proving he can be our no.1....

will the wages saved presumebly from la costa we could have a very good import forward who can play and fight!

Good luck to Dan with whatever he decides for his future, in all honesty it was two concussions too many. If I remember correctly Kim Ahlroos was forced to finish his last season in th UK early and retired after two concussions playing for Panthers.

The impact concussion has varies from case to case but I am sure Dan has made the decision with his health and future in mind, you just can't be too careful with head injuries

rocketbob

Temme said:
Devastated for him. Such a shame for a guy with such a talent.

HOWEVER: (I'm going to get a right good slating for this)...

I said from the start to my friends (yes I have some!) that an NHL standard goalie would not come to Cardiff to play hockey. He's hear for education and has feck all interest in hockey. Why would he want to risk injury in a beer league playing for the shandy of all teams.

It just doesn't happen/figure. I smell a rat here...

Maybe his course has now been paid for so he has no need for hockey, maybe he can now pay it himself. I don't know, but I said this would happen from the start and have sadly been proven right.

I'm not disputing he was awesome when on the ice, and always gave his all. But there was no way he was going to finish the year with us, injury or not.

Happy to get a slating on here for being so negative, but if something looks too good to be true, it normally is.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

This has to be the most ridiculous posting on this forum for many a long year. Yes Dan has come here to complete an MBA, which is why we have been able to afford him. If you think that Dan has retired just because he has his MBA paid for now, I am sure that you are pretty wide of the mark.

Many well known and significantly better paid sports stars have been forced to retire under similar circumstances (Troy Aikman retiring and giving up a massively well paid NFL job after 3 concussions in a season springs to mind). I feel sorry for anyone who thinks that Dan is retiring for any other reason than the fact that he wants have a decent quality of life with regards to his health now and in the future.

Thanks for your time and efforts here Dan. Sorry that it has ended this way. All the best for your future.

Ocko

His course is also not paid for. He still has another term that will need funding, so to say that he knows the course is paid for is wide of the mark.

You could say the same about any player really. I hate to burst the bubble of any that think it but the vast majority of players are here because we were the highest bidder or gave them the most attractive contract be it for uni or whatever. Very few are playing for the love of the club and they most definitely did not grow up wanting to play for the Cardiff Devils. Its like saying would you play though the risk of serious long term head injury to play for a Scottish 4th Division football team? Definitely not.

A

Anonymous

The injury to dan is the main reason I have a go at the d men!
They have to use there bloody weight and push the forwards out of the way!

If any player runs our goalie smash them for it.
To many times salters spencer etc stand in the way and hack at the goalie and no one does anything.

Maybe this will make them do that now.

Koop11

Very sad news for Dan. I fee for the guy. I can’t see how professional would want to end their career in such a manor and any suggestions of an ulterior motive are offensive without any evidence to support such a radical theory.

At the end of the day this is the right decision for both Dan and the club. His health must come first and credit to the Devils organisation for supporting him to the end of his studies.

All the very best to Dan in his future endeavours.

From the club’s perspective, It’s another disappointment to a stale season but hopefully the club can move fast and bring a suitable replacement in for Dan. I’m not at all bothered about the league right now as we are some way behind the pack but the CC is huge for us and I would hope we have a new goalie settled in before that important fixture in early January. My fear is, with it being so close to Christmas, that nobody is going to want to be here before early January.

Wannabe2

For anyone to think there is any alternative ultimatum they must be barking, we have all seen the incidents and they are real, what would Dan have done if they didnt occur, kick himself in the head. Its a terrible way to finish a career, wish you all the very best for the future Dan, take good care.

Sorry to hear this news and interview with Dan on the Devils web site. Of course he has to take medical advice. A tough deal but now move on and make the best of the rest of his life. Hopefully he will make a contribution to the team off the ice for the rest of the season and continue to successfully complete his MBA and look to the future. Really wish Dan all the best and hope he is treated well by the club.
Food for thought about future protection of our netties in the combination of comments from other posters especially with the agitating role being successfully adopted by Brad Plumton recently.
e.g. Possibly stick with and develop Joe Myers. “with the wages saved presumably we could have a very good import forward who can play and fight!” and are too many liberties given to opposition in front of our net? Is a replacement nettie now the priority or does the team need additional protection?

Ocko

In Tyson Marsh (one of the toughest in the league IMO) and Andrew Lord we have 2 legit heavyweights in fighting terms and Plumton who is decent enough against the majority in this league. Factor in some good middleweights like Batch, Quiney, even Blight will have a go, I dont think we need any additional fighters especially in place of the most important position on the ice, the net minder.

Maybe it is a change in tactic of how we use our players that needs changing. I dont think people realise how tough Lord is but for whatever reason, maybe orders as he has was on the first line, he hasnt fought at all yet. He has the ability to hold his own with anyone in this league. He edged out Keefe in a great toe to toe scrap a few years ago and that is no mean feat. The same goes for Tyson, I doubt he would fear anyone in this league. If additional protection is needed we have it within the team already.

Ocko

And although Joe played a very well against the Panthers I dont think he has it within him to do it every game and with this being a business I dont think the management would want to take that gamble with a potential decline in results meaning less punters through the door.

Gospel

Im sorry to see Dan having to retire, seems he confirmed this on his twitter account although the impression given on Devils TV that it would be the rest of the season (that was my understanding of watching it).

Its never nice to see someone having to retire when they dont want to or in a way they didnt intend. Lets hope the Organisation can help look after him while hes here, coaching the NMs we have maybe and hope he gets to finish his studies.

The question im more concerned with is this:-

Dan gets hit 3 times in half a season, Joe get deliberately hit on Sunday. What have we done about it??? Answer is very bloody little!

To say its unfortunate is a joke. We have to be better at protecting our nettie and so do the officials. If the officials dont deal with it then the players should.

This is a huge blow for everyone involved with the club. I hope Dan does get involved someway with the club, even cover for Pope when he's away. He deserves to finish his MBA. Regardless he deserves all the well wishes possible.

As for a replacement, I see there's mixed opinions. Yes it would be nice to give Joe a chance but what if he got injured? Who will step up? Just hope the club don't rush and try and find a quick fix.