League comparison?

Ben123

Thread starter #1
It used to be said that the EIHL is about the same quality as the ECHL. Would this still be the case? What other leagues would ours compare to?

Mooney#16

It would be interesting to put Devils against the other Pot 4 teams from the CHL and that would perhaps give a decent reflection. DEL, Austrian, Swiss, Lliga, SHL and Czech teams are all obviously higher but as concerns Norway, Denmark, Poland, Slovakia etc I'd think Devils and top EIHL teams are probably top of the also rans.

I'd wager the EIHL is now above the ECHL with the top teams sitting around AHL mediocrity.

Where the EIHL is doing something right is professional standards. They are finally conducting themselves as a serious entity and the bush league reputation is dwindling. The CHL inclusion and better relations and shop window with European hockey being massive instead of pretending they were a North American farm league and doing everything in poorly executed NA way.

jenks33

It would be interesting to put Devils against the other Pot 4 teams from the CHL and that would perhaps give a decent reflection. DEL, Austrian, Swiss, Lliga, SHL and Czech teams are all obviously higher but as concerns Norway, Denmark, Poland, Slovakia etc I'd think Devils and top EIHL teams are probably top of the also rans.

I'd wager the EIHL is now above the ECHL with the top teams sitting around AHL mediocrity.

Where the EIHL is doing something right is professional standards. They are finally conducting themselves as a serious entity and the bush league reputation is dwindling. The CHL inclusion and better relations and shop window with European hockey being massive instead of pretending they were a North American farm league and doing everything in poorly executed NA way.
I agree with that. I’d say the EIHL is generally better than the ECHL but the top teams would be mid table mediocrity or lower in the AHL. Which is a compliment. Shows how far the league has come

Slartibartfast

Slightly off topic but I found this website which shows the salary range for European leagues. It includes the EBEL which has a wide range from 27,500 Euro to upwards of 130,000 Euro. It explains why we saw quite a varying standard in the players last night.

https://2112hockeyagency.com/league-rankings/

I also found this which shows how the EIHL has improved in recent years, We are very close to the EBEL based on 2018 stats

1565535968720.png

Last edited: