Long time fans.

hip check

Thread starter #1
I read the threads and posts with interest and as we all know there are people on here with differing opinions which I think is what makes this forum such a good read.
What I find interesting is the number of posters whose memories go back to our first season of which I'm one, to be supporting what could be classed as a big team in a relatively minor sport in this part of the world for all these years is testiment to how entertaining the sport is and how addictive it can be.
I loved this sport from the first time I saw my first live game and have been hooked ever since, in fact I don't know how I would spend my winter weekends if hockey didn't exist in the area.
I hope to carry on enjoying my hockey and the Devil's in particular for many years to come, I'm absolutely not the most knowledgeable of fans and there's many on here who could put me to shame on that front but I enjoy the sheer atmosphere of the fans and the skill, speed and pure physicality that our players show week in week out.
Hope I haven't bored you all with my sentiments, so "roll on the coming season" can't wait to enjoy another rollercoaster and nail biting time down the rink.

Wannabe2

Nothing boring about your post whatsoever, you make some very valid points, and it’s a good read. You hit the nail spot on the head with your feelings, emotions and love for the greatest game on the planet. It’s always good to hear from people who feel the same about our great sport, so as you say roll on the new season, not long now before the buzz and excitement thankfully starts all over again. Good post hip check.

kristian

We went to our first live game around 6/7 years ago ( the year Bordeleau pĺayed) went to a pre season coventry game. Sat next to lovely man who had all the time in world to talk us through the game. Signed up season tickets there and then and not looked back.
Don't really know what the wife and I would talk about if we didn't have hockey.

OJLloyd

I was only born in ‘89, so the Devils are older than me.

I really enjoy the comments and stories about the older days (even if I don’t always agree with them!) as it lends to a history I wasn’t part of.

I also have a very interesting book gifted to me by a friend of Devils history. But first hand stories are always good.

And I’d agree - my first taste of hockey was as a kid, and even though it was hard to get to as my dad wasn’t a fan and we had rugby on the weekends, I’ve always kept on top of the results and games as I could.

Not sure what I’d do without the Devils now.

Samael

My first exposure to ice hockey was when it was on Grandstand and it was the Wembley final that went to penalties against the then Murrayfield Racers. I think I was about 7 or 8 years old and watched it on the telly. I didn't understand what was going on, couldn't see the puck and names like Cooper, McEwen and Hand meant very little to me, but I was instantly hooked. The first actual game I went to at the WNIR/Cauldron was against Fife and I was standing in the corner near where the hotdogs were sold. I couldn't believe how close I was to the action (and how bad they players smelled - like sweaty feet). Hockey is the only team sport I've ever been passionate about and I'm proud to be a Devils and Ice hockey fan in general.

JC23

I really enjoy the comments and stories about the older days (even if I don’t always agree with them!) as it lends to a history I wasn’t part of.

I also have a very interesting book gifted to me by a friend of Devils history. But first hand stories are always good.

And I’d agree - my first taste of hockey was as a kid, and even though it was hard to get to as my dad wasn’t a fan and we had rugby on the weekends, I’ve always kept on top of the results and games as I could.

I had to double check I hadn’t written this myself, also born in ‘89, first game in ‘94 after skating for my cousins birthday party.

Hooked from there. Dragged my grandad along to games, started skating and playing at 6 years old. Got my first season ticket in 2003 and haven’t looked back.

Samael

That book you mentioned wasnt called "It's funny when you win Everything" by Anthony Beer was it? If it wasn't I would highly recommend it if you are interested in Devils History. I'm not sure if its still in print but you might be able to pick it up second hand. I used to have a copy signed by the the entire team in 1996, but if got lost in a house move sadly.

SteveKing

What a wonderful thread. I love hearing about all of your introductions to hockey. As a Canadian kid where hockey absolutely dominates the sports scene, I'm always fascinated to hear people talk about the sport in a market where it is less known.

For myself, my early days were spent just playing the sport but the Flames moved to Calgary when I was 10 years old and changed my life. I became addicted to following them and I do believe that it hurt my own playing career because I distinctly remember trying to sneak away and put my radio headphones on during intermissions of my own games to hear how the Flames were doing!

Now I'm completely engulfed. Between my primary joy (the Devils of course!), the Flames and following my son at the University of Denver, my September through June months are spent watching hockey pretty much every night. When both of my boys were playing, we averaged about 140 live games per year in addition to what we watched on TV. You wouldn't think that by the Fourth of August that I'd be dying for some hockey...but I am already. No sport like it.

Diafol

I actually got into hockey after playing NHL 94 on my Megadrive.

I used to be football through and through and I don't think I missed a home game at my local Welsh Premier club in years.

When they folded I was at a bit of a loss for live sport. I'd enjoyed watching Devils games when Sky Sports covered the Superleague so I bought tickets for a game against Nottingham which we won.

I was hooked from that point on, but the following season was the BNL "lockout" and I didn't know enough about the politics to join the protests.

21 years later and I've had a season ticket for 18 of them.
I've made some great friends along the way, discovered the delights of away trips and playoff weekends, had some amazing highlights and terrible low points, celebrated with trophies, watched live NHL games in the USA, the list of wonderful experiences I've had thanks to the sport goes on and on.

Long may it continue.
I can't wait to be back in my seat on the 16th to see our new squad.

drainage

That book you mentioned wasnt called "It's funny when you win Everything" by Anthony Beer was it? If it wasn't I would highly recommend it if you are interested in Devils History. I'm not sure if its still in print but you might be able to pick it up second hand. I used to have a copy signed by the the entire team in 1996, but if got lost in a house move sadly.
Lent mine to someone never got it back ! Was a fab read

drainage

I read the threads and posts with interest and as we all know there are people on here with differing opinions which I think is what makes this forum such a good read.
What I find interesting is the number of posters whose memories go back to our first season of which I'm one, to be supporting what could be classed as a big team in a relatively minor sport in this part of the world for all these years is testiment to how entertaining the sport is and how addictive it can be.
I loved this sport from the first time I saw my first live game and have been hooked ever since, in fact I don't know how I would spend my winter weekends if hockey didn't exist in the area.
I hope to carry on enjoying my hockey and the Devil's in particular for many years to come, I'm absolutely not the most knowledgeable of fans and there's many on here who could put me to shame on that front but I enjoy the sheer atmosphere of the fans and the skill, speed and pure physicality that our players show week in week out.
Hope I haven't bored you all with my sentiments, so "roll on the coming season" can't wait to enjoy another rollercoaster and nail biting time down the rink.
I saw my first game Nov 1986 have many memories , first bench clearance Grimsby Buffalos, cheque book hockey , playing Durham and leaving rink gone midnight , watching the amazing Doug McEwen (bit of a fan) being caught with Archie Nelson’s gin by police in Trafford , Robbie Morris taking pity on a shortie when we got promoted and lifting me up to see TV coverage ….oh and Jeff Smith giving me a peck on the cheek same night ! I have met great friends , made great memories (and gathered a partner along the way I don’t blame team ) long may memory making continue !

drainage

What a wonderful thread. I love hearing about all of your introductions to hockey. As a Canadian kid where hockey absolutely dominates the sports scene, I'm always fascinated to hear people talk about the sport in a market where it is less known.

For myself, my early days were spent just playing the sport but the Flames moved to Calgary when I was 10 years old and changed my life. I became addicted to following them and I do believe that it hurt my own playing career because I distinctly remember trying to sneak away and put my radio headphones on during intermissions of my own games to hear how the Flames were doing!

Now I'm completely engulfed. Between my primary joy (the Devils of course!), the Flames and following my son at the University of Denver, my September through June months are spent watching hockey pretty much every night. When both of my boys were playing, we averaged about 140 live games per year in addition to what we watched on TV. You wouldn't think that by the Fourth of August that I'd be dying for some hockey...but I am already. No sport like it.
About to enter my 36th year watching the Devils …..responsible for some amazing memories (some not so good but think the good far outweighs the bad !) I truly hope this hockey habit isn’t ditched anytime soon

Samael

Lent mine to someone never got it back ! Was a fab read
It's on amazon for three quid now!!! Obviously gonna be used or a reprint. But any fans who never experienced the WNIR era should seriously give it a look. Some really nice photos in the centre pages too in the edition l had.

hip check

Thread starter #16
I saw my first game Nov 1986 have many memories , first bench clearance Grimsby Buffalos, cheque book hockey , playing Durham and leaving rink gone midnight , watching the amazing Doug McEwen (bit of a fan) being caught with Archie Nelson’s gin by police in Trafford , Robbie Morris taking pity on a shortie when we got promoted and lifting me up to see TV coverage ….oh and Jeff Smith giving me a peck on the cheek same night ! I have met great friends , made great memories (and gathered a partner along the way I don’t blame team ) long may memory making continue !
Sounds like a very eventful time you've had since the first season, my experiences are nowhere near as exciting as yours but I can recall many of those things that you mention, let's hope we have many more exciting experiences to enjoy.

drainage

It's on amazon for three quid now!!! Obviously gonna be used or a reprint. But any fans who never experienced the WNIR era should seriously give it a look. Some really nice photos in the centre pages too in the edition l had.
thanks will check that out !

drainage

Sounds like a very eventful time you've had since the first season, my experiences are nowhere near as exciting as yours but I can recall many of those things that you mention, let's hope we have many more exciting experiences to enjoy.
You spend a long time doing something you get good , bad and indifferent memories ……. forgot to mention got hit by John Lawless‘ stick when he launched into crowd after getting promoted (but grab it and took it home) and the 20 plus stitches I got after getting a puck in the head in a Cardiff Hull game ….player got 2 mins for delay of game I got over 3 hours in the Heath, pretty sure he got better end of deal

drainage

Found and purchased …..doesn’t look like the version I had but am sure my youth will be revisited ! Cheers

BostonBart22

The first real game I went to was v Telford at wnir, then it was bitter rivalry back in those days, as soon as I walked in I saw a sea of orange, yes orange of a block full of Telford fans, atmosphere was 2nd to none, we lost that game but wow, Telford had Conway and salmon up front tearing us apart, despite the result I went back and never looked back and still get the buzz, another highlight was picking up Jason Wood with all his kit from a bus stop at viccy Park, if it wasn't for me he wouldn't have made the warm up, great days