Long time fans.

Kevlar68

My first experience of ice hockey was in 85 when I saw Mario lemieux playing and I started going to Bristol ice skating. Then I started skating at WNIR which led to watching devils from the start.
After that I was lucky enough to work at the WNIR and with the Devils during the superleague era and have followed them all along.
My highlight of watching hockey, apart from devils achievements of course was going to the saddledome to watch 3 calgary flames games.

James

Administrator
I still consider myself a newbie but I've had a season ticket for about 16 years now so I guess I'm just getting old :). I was always aware of the Devils, growing up in Cardiff but my only exposure to the rink was rock nights a friend ran in Gretzky's. Got taken to the first game of the '05 season which was Voth's first game for us, against the London Racers. Several goals and fights later I was hooked. Didn't miss a game all year.

moggy#9

I was there (almost) at the start. The second ever game was my first, but after that I saw every home game of that season. Then I was second in the queue for a season ticket when they went on sale. The following season I started going to away games (including the infamous Telford walk off), and for several years hardly missed a game - home or away. I was also there for things like the Wembley shootout and the Tilburg adventure.

My enthusiasm led me onto serving on the supporters club committee twice and writing for the match programme. As well as that I took up playing for the titans, became assistant coach for the huskies and for a few seasons produced the plus/minus stats used by the club.

All that ended with the boycott though. I was there at the protests, but was broken hearted at what had happened. The bitterness of what went on (there are people who I will find hard to ever forgive for what happened then) took away my love of the game and I found it really difficult to watch a hockey match of any kind for a long time.

Although I went to a couple of games at the BBT, I really didn't like the place, and it just didn't feel right. The opening of IAW felt like a fresh start. Since then I've gone to games in person when family commitments and bank balance would allow.

I have to say a big thank-you to the inferno community for helping me regain my love and enthusiasm for the game. I love the discussion, analysis and general passion here. Long may it continue.

hip check

Thread starter #24
You spend a long time doing something you get good , bad and indifferent memories ……. forgot to mention got hit by John Lawless‘ stick when he launched into crowd after getting promoted (but grab it and took it home) and the 20 plus stitches I got after getting a puck in the head in a Cardiff Hull game ….player got 2 mins for delay of game I got over 3 hours in the Heath, pretty sure he got better end of deal
I ca
I saw my first game Nov 1986 have many memories , first bench clearance Grimsby Buffalos, cheque book hockey , playing Durham and leaving rink gone midnight , watching the amazing Doug McEwen (bit of a fan) being caught with Archie Nelson’s gin by police in Trafford , Robbie Morris taking pity on a shortie when we got promoted and lifting me up to see TV coverage ….oh and Jeff Smith giving me a peck on the cheek same night ! I have met great friends , made great memories (and gathered a partner along the way I don’t blame team ) long may memory making continue !
Great memories other than the puck scenario obviously, I do recall a woman catching a puck to the head but can't remember if it was WNIR or BBT, she was in a bit of a bad way but like all good Devils fans she was back next game. I can remember queuing for about 2.5 hours around the block at WNIR to Toys r Us on more than one occasion and didn't even get into one game (Deeside I believe), great days but so are they great days now as well.

NathanG

I ca

Great memories other than the puck scenario obviously, I do recall a woman catching a puck to the head but can't remember if it was WNIR or BBT, she was in a bit of a bad way but like all good Devils fans she was back next game. I can remember queuing for about 2.5 hours around the block at WNIR to Toys r Us on more than one occasion and didn't even get into one game (Deeside I believe), great days but so are they great days now as well.
I remember my second game, can't remember the opposition but the it was in the BBT and the owners had come over. A puck deflected over the plexi and was heading right to where my friends and I were sitting, only it struck a woman in the row in front, side of her forehead. She had a nasty wound, the Devil's physio came up and treated her.

It took me half a season I think to actually learn the basic rules and to keep up with play but I think seeing that happen in front of me helped speed it up. Keep your eyes on the puck at all times

hip check

Thread starter #27
I remember my second game, can't remember the opposition but the it was in the BBT and the owners had come over. A puck deflected over the plexi and was heading right to where my friends and I were sitting, only it struck a woman in the row in front, side of her forehead. She had a nasty wound, the Devil's physio came up and treated her.

It took me half a season I think to actually learn the basic rules and to keep up with play but I think seeing that happen in front of me helped speed it up. Keep your eyes on the puck at all times
I think that may be the scenario I'm recalling, she did take a hell of a bang.

Rempel16

I still consider myself a newbie but I've had a season ticket for about 16 years now so I guess I'm just getting old :). I was always aware of the Devils, growing up in Cardiff but my only exposure to the rink was rock nights a friend ran in Gretzky's. Got taken to the first game of the '05 season which was Voth's first game for us, against the London Racers. Several goals and fights later I was hooked. Didn't miss a game all year.
Loved that game!

I think like most people, my first experience of hockey was the Mighty Ducks films. It was thanks to mighty ducks that I support Dallas Stars too with Modano in one of the scenes.

Great thread! Perhaps this is the place for one of you to help identify my first ice hockey game?
I genuinely can't remember the opposition or even if we won. It was in the BBT. I do recall Brad Voth appearing to try biting someone's head whilst wresting them up against the plexi.

OJLloyd

That book you mentioned wasnt called "It's funny when you win Everything" by Anthony Beer was it? If it wasn't I would highly recommend it if you are interested in Devils History. I'm not sure if its still in print but you might be able to pick it up second hand. I used to have a copy signed by the the entire team in 1996, but if got lost in a house move sadly.
It was! Very good book, especially as I love a stat.

hip check

Thread starter #33
Great thread! Perhaps this is the place for one of you to help identify my first ice hockey game?
I genuinely can't remember the opposition or even if we won. It was in the BBT. I do recall Brad Voth appearing to try biting someone's head whilst wresting them up against the plexi.
Can't recall that but sounds like a bit of a zombie moment lol.

What colour shirts were the opposition wearing, Voth tried to bite everyone’s head off including a Hamster..
lol I 'think' they were predominantly white, with blue (could be way off, though!)
Lee Cowmeadow played, for sure. The end of the game seemed to take an age. It was as if players had decided to square up to each other at every face off!

Edit: Just found a Brad Voth fight compilation on YouTube. i'll see if it's in there. It's 1h 29min long, mind!!

Last edited:

drainage

I think that may be the scenario I'm recalling, she did take a hell of a bang.
Mine was BBT in 2010 snow delayed ambulance but on plus side Sky were televising game so got to watch it early hours after being stitched up! Never got to finish my pint ….sore point to this day if it happens again am sending stewards to grab my drink !

My first exposure to the Devils came through Curran Oil (one of the early sponsors). I purchased oil for my company at the time and got a call from a guy with a Canadian accent asking me if and my wife would like to join the Curran Oil rep at the game.

Turned out that the Canuck in question was Steve Moria!!

BostonBart22

lol I 'think' they were predominantly white, with blue (could be way off, though!)
Lee Cowmeadow played, for sure. The end of the game seemed to take an age. It was as if players had decided to square up to each other at every face off!

Edit: Just found a Brad Voth fight compilation on YouTube. i'll see if it's in there. It's 1h 29min long, mind!!
It may have been coventry, always had tussles with Derick campbell, fair does campbell never backed down to vother.

Diafol

It could have been this game maybe ?

It says age restricted but I think that's because someone reported Hockey Fights UK due to the violence involved !!!

bozman

my first game was through Ian Cooper i worked in a garage next door to where him and Stephen were working and he gave me tickets 1988