Matt Register on 2 ales

Gavevs88

Thread starter #1
Listening to this on my morning run/dog walk. It sounds like things turned quite sour between him and the club? Shame he's not back after the season he had. Wonder what went wrong after it sounds like he was as good as returning? Was it a case of him or Jards?

hip check

Thought he was immense last season clocking up the minutes and showing great composure on the puck in some tricky situations, always a goal threat as well, would've been the first player I would have invited back going on his first season's performance, I think we may miss the big man.

This is a massive shame. The current squad is looking great of course, but I would have had Register back in a heartbeat. Exceptional vision and excellent at orchestrating the powerplay. Big loss and gutting to see him move on.

Listening to this on my morning run/dog walk. It sounds like things turned quite sour between him and the club? Shame he's not back after the season he had. Wonder what went wrong after it sounds like he was as good as returning? Was it a case of him or Jards?
heard a rumour he was coming back and then he wasnt and couldnt make his mind up. shame really as he got better as the season went on

Samael

I was dissapointed he wasn't announced at the Calgary summit as returning, as he was such a grafter for us but if those rumours about him messing the club around are true then we are better off without him. I wish him well and l hope he has as good a season at his next club as he had in Cardiff.

jenks33

Credit to Register for all those minutes he played for us last season and there’s no doubting he’s a talented offensive defenceman. To be honest though I’m quite excited about our new D Corps. The return of Jardine and the capture of Crawford are great bits of business in my opinion and hopefully Thompson is a Steady Eddie.

For me the key factors in whether we finish 1st or if we are just ‘also-rans’ is how Bownsy gets on and how much Penny and Brittain bring to the table. We struggled for depth last season but if we can get consistent scoring from 3 lines we’ll be right up there.

trapped

Was definitely coming back at the end of last season. Real shame to see him not return, but I suspect that Jardine and Crawford plug any hole that would be left.

Pity, hell of a player and a born winner for sure.

Onwards and upwards

ASHIPP

One of the best defencemen in the League last season...very high hockey I.Q., excellent positioning and puck control, and a winning attitude. The guy saved the team in several close games with a timely pp goal or clever slap shot.

He will be missed - hope doors have not closed to welcome him back. Our d corps this year is going to be exciting, but does anyone have Register's vision?

Kevlar68

The amount of minutes Matt put up last season was outstanding and i would of thought for that alone would have signed him back up but we don't know what the real sticking point was, shame though.

Hedd Wyn John

I criticised his performances early in the season last year but he sure turned it around big time. Maybe he was asking too much salary, perhaps Dupont wanted to bring in younger players. I'm sure he could have done another year for us.

Finny

I think Register will be one of those players that will always divide the fanbase.

Personally, I found him frustrating. Not because he wasn’t a good player, but I found him inconsistent a lot of the time. He’d make great defensive plays before doing something ridiculous that gave up a chance and often a goal. I guess that’s why he never made it at a higher level than ECHL.

He wasn’t at the top of my ‘not wanting to return‘ list but nor was he at the top of my ‘must re-sign‘ list.
He‘s also the wrong side of 30 and I think that’s why he didn’t have the goal and points production I was expecting.

I also heard like others that the club were planning on bringing him back but he was delaying and delaying whilst looking at other options. Jardine then became available and we switched to him.

Overall I’m very happy with our defensive lineup. New imports are relatively young and hopefully will be with us for seasons to come.

Mooney#16

To be honest I have to think it’s a good thing to show your teeth now and again. As many fans have complained as if Devils are a soft touch and don’t gas anyone but I think they honour the contracts they sign unless really required. However if you don’t have that contract Devils have a winning mentality that they are looking for the best options that are out there. Players being complacent in negotiations with Devils will do so at their peril as the club will move on at a pace it dictates and not the players. If you don’t have that contract you would have to appreciate you are exposed. If Devils were offering Register a contract even before the end of last season and he stalled then unfortunately he has tried to hedge is options and got burned. It’s unfortunate a player who contributed so much would leave with a slightly bitter taste but that is the world of the free lance contractor.

Register was a great player last year. Logged huge minutes and made some clutch plays. But my gut feeling and I don’t mean this to be harsh to him was that he was a poor man’s Hotham or Fournier in his offensive output was slightly less and defensive mistakes slightly more. Clearly Devs went in for Fourns which would have probably spelled the end of Reggie and then when they got Crawford that probably sealed it. Reggie should have signed his contract asap and sealed off the Devils options but he left the door open. Employment dynamics work both ways.

Good luck to Register though. Will always respect and appreciate his effort last season.

moggy#9

Whatever the background to register not returning, I'm glad to have jardine back. In his last spell, once he'd settled, he looked excellent. With a few years of experience in good leagues he's going to bring a lot to the table.