MK dropping out of elite league

mjh

This is the biggest issue I have with the league. Its difficult for teams to stay healthy in a financial sense and competitive. I notice Hull and Leeds will be joining MK in the new league. Doesn't seem to be much out there for new additions to the Eihl unless Edinburgh contribute a team. On the plus side, three Eihl teams are in the top 100 attendance for European hockey.

Samael

This is the biggest issue I have with the league. Its difficult for teams to stay healthy in a financial sense and competitive. I notice Hull and Leeds will be joining MK in the new league. Doesn't seem to be much out there for new additions to the Eihl unless Edinburgh contribute a team. On the plus side, three Eihl teams are in the top 100 attendance for European hockey.
totally agree with this. However while we have BUSINESSMEN like Smith and Black running the league, nothing will change until the attendances start dropping in their own arenas. No where near enough was done to support the Edinburgh or Milton Keynes Franchise at EIHL level, but hey ho the 'elite' has a fancy new league cup this year, priorities and all that......

Last edited:

kingmo19.1

Hardly surprising to be honest.

EIHL import limit is too expensive for those fringe teams at the moment.

Shame it’s not limited to 10 then we’d have a far more healthy and resilient league in the U.K. - maybe even a 2 tier system with promotion and relegation.

Gazza272

totally agree with this. However while we have BUSINESSMEN like Smith and Black running the league, nothing will change until the attendances start dropping in their own arenas. No where near enough was done to support the Edinburgh or Milton Keynes Franchise at EIHL level, but hey ho the 'elite' has a fancy new league cup this year, priorities and all that......
MK came into the league and started each year with bench coaches! that's an immediate saving right there, they already had Uni deals, but their supporters have been quite clear that the mixed messages and false information has made this season difficult. Look at the way they left the league, telling the league hours before their press release was issued.......

as for Edinburgh they received massive support for years from the league, until such time that they had made the same mistakes time and time again, there is only so much help you can offer before it's clear that the team was taking the mick.

Samael

MK came into the league and started each year with bench coaches! that's an immediate saving right there, they already had Uni deals, but their supporters have been quite clear that the mixed messages and false information has made this season difficult. Look at the way they left the league, telling the league hours before their press release was issued.......

as for Edinburgh they received massive support for years from the league, until such time that they had made the same mistakes time and time again, there is only so much help you can offer before it's clear that the team was taking the mick.
Not disputing the couple running mk seemed on the surface to be dodgy with staff going unpaid etc, but what 'massive' help did the capitals get? Were they being subsidised by the Eihl? That's a genuine question, not sarcasm, so don't take it the wrong way.

Temme

https://www.mkfm.com/news/mk-lightning-news/mk-lightning-clarify-situation-in-club-statement/

7th Feb 2019 - "The club statement has now emphasised that the team will remain in the Elite League next season and are already in the process of planning for the 2019/20 season. "

The same month:
https://mk-lightning.co.uk/default.asp?contentID=952

"As club owners, Graham and Monica are determined to increase stability by building a core of competitive and well-supported players, to create a strong identity in the Elite League."

"Milton Keynes Lightning has enormous potential; this club belongs in the Elite League, and there is no doubt our presence is noted and respected. "

Haven't seen much of the fans reaction to this news, but given the recent things publicized they have a right to be angry.

The club has effectively lied to the fan base!

Gazza272

Not disputing the couple running mk seemed on the surface to be dodgy with staff going unpaid etc, but what 'massive' help did the capitals get? Were they being subsidised by the Eihl? That's a genuine question, not sarcasm, so don't take it the wrong way.

Capitals were given league handouts during their time, they were allowed to remain in the league despite phoenix their operating companies (amongst protests from some league board members however) They were given equipment, advice and numerous chances to improve.

The Capitals also threatened to leave the league on occasion and to take other Scottish teams with them, unless the league bent to their demands, which on two occasions they did.

so all in all, they had a very good crack at the EIHL with plenty of support. had MK had those kinds of help i'm sure they would be in better shape, however their owners also seem very naive about what it takes to run a professional team.

kingmo19.1

Although the EIHL is a good watch, it worries me that we’ve lost Edinburgh, Hull and MK in the last 4 years.

I just wonder how long the current import limit is sustainable in the U.K. I’m not sure how Dundee cope with their crowd numbers.

I worry were sailing a little to near the old ISL era - and that didn’t end well.

Samael

Capitals were given league handouts during their time, they were allowed to remain in the league despite phoenix their operating companies (amongst protests from some league board members however) They were given equipment, advice and numerous chances to improve.

The Capitals also threatened to leave the league on occasion and to take other Scottish teams with them, unless the league bent to their demands, which on two occasions they did.

so all in all, they had a very good crack at the EIHL with plenty of support. had MK had those kinds of help i'm sure they would be in better shape, however their owners also seem very naive about what it takes to run a professional team.
I was not aware the league were subsidising the caps. If they were giving them hand-outs and advice and they still failed then yes that is purely down to miss management and not the fault of the Eihl. Perhaps the Calgary four should ask around when they are at their next Flames game and see if they have any mates interested in buying Murrayfield, actually maybe not.....

Also agree with Kingmo, I think the import limit needs revising, it's going to mean a drop in standard of the league short term but long term it's going to allow for more British born players to develop and not just be a paycheque for washed out NHL and AHL guys looking to coast for a few seasons.

Gazza272

Also agree with Kingmo, I think the import limit needs revising, it's going to mean a drop in standard of the league short term but long term it's going to allow for more British born players to develop and not just be a paycheque for washed out NHL and AHL guys looking to coast for a few seasons.
A lot of people have this theory. What do you believe it is about the Elite League that stops British Development?

I guess my point is, if the Elite league ceased to be tomorrow, the general standard of British players would be NIHL standard. Surely it's the remit of the Junior leagues in this country, to have a plan in place to get British players up to Pool A standard, regardless of the standard of the top league in this country.

In Canada for Example, the OHL has NHL standard players playing in it, if the Junior system in this country is only producing NIHL standard players, how is the Elite league at fault for that?

Temme

A lot of people have this theory. What do you believe it is about the Elite League that stops British Development?

I guess my point is, if the Elite league ceased to be tomorrow, the general standard of British players would be NIHL standard. Surely it's the remit of the Junior leagues in this country, to have a plan in place to get British players up to Pool A standard, regardless of the standard of the top league in this country.

In Canada for Example, the OHL has NHL standard players playing in it, if the Junior system in this country is only producing NIHL standard players, how is the Elite league at fault for that?
My attitude has been called short sighted before, however in a way what Gazza has said:

the top league in ANY country is NOT A DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE.
Hopefully the new EPL (NIHL) can have a similar U23 (U20 even) rule that develops young players by forcing teams to carry a certain amount on their roster.

We should not by any means jeopardize the standard of the product we are putting on the ice as the attendances/costs are fragile enough for many teams without risking quality of product.

Reducing the standard of the EIHL does not equal a better standard British team & it never will.

kingmo19.1

I’d be for the EIHL dropping the import limit by 2 and thus increasing the Brit limit by 2. In a 10 team league that’s a further 20 brits training and playing at EIHL standard.

Samael

Fair points, but how are British born and bred players meant to break through to EIHL level when

Fair points, however what exactly are the league doing to support junior programmes? Having a poultry "each club must have an under 21 Brit contingent?" It's being left at club level to develop them and let's be honest here the only ones who have been investing in developing British prospects are the Steelers with their apprentice scheme. Look at what happened to Moore, he was too old and shipped off to Fife. He was just warming the pine here. Murdy is on borrowed time too I suspect.

When people like Richardson and Myers retire under the current status quo I can't see any genuine British passport holders stepping in to replace them as the league is stacked in favour of talent developed overseas (because guess what, they have supported/funded junior programmes in Canada/North America/Continental Europe which recognizes the importance of youth development), which yes is very short sighted in my humble opinion and also not sustainable long term.