More changes at Sheffield

Wannabe2

Thread starter #1
Steelers bring in new import netminder Matt Climie from Austrian team Innsbruck, with import Jiri Gula being shown the door.

Temme

I'm torn with this signing.
Jackson Whistle obviously not up to standard i guess is the opinion.
Does taking a new import Netminder and losing an import D man strengthen them? Or make them weaker?!

august04

When you’re as weak defensively as they have been, you need the best netminder you can get to keep you in games. Whistle wasn’t up to that. Not surprised by this at all.

Temme

They have Ben O,Connor back now on D.
Gula was nowhere near their worst D man.
He's their big stay at home guy, not brought in to set the world alight.
Obviously budget will be a factor and maybe he was paid more than other guys?

He has their best +/- of any player this season, (excluding 1 game O'Connor)
When they're carrying guys like Johnson: https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/10233/aaron-johnson

Who looks on paper an incredible signing but is not performing.
I do agree that the worst goals against team in the league needs wholesale changes, so i guess this isn't a bad start for them.

Foxy

Doesn't really say whether Whistle is staying as back up or being released. Can't see them running with 3 goal keepers

Gula was nowhere near their worst D man.
He's their big stay at home guy, not brought in to set the world alight.
Obviously budget will be a factor and maybe he was paid more than other guys?

He has their best +/- of any player this season, (excluding 1 game O'Connor)
When they're carrying guys like Johnson: https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/10233/aaron-johnson

Who looks on paper an incredible signing but is not performing.
I do agree that the worst goals against team in the league needs wholesale changes, so i guess this isn't a bad start for them.
Johnson has been the best player on the Steelers team. He (along with Matheson) almost definitely play the most minutes on the team and in all situations. It's not a surprise that he's -3 when the team has been playing how it has.

terry hunt

I thought the Blaze played well last night but a couple of mistakes at the end cost them.
Reminds me of a team we know well.
O'Connor seems to have lifted the Steelers

Temme

I thought the Blaze played well last night but a couple of mistakes at the end cost them.
Reminds me of a team we know well.
O'Connor seems to have lifted the Steelers
I only watched the last half of the game, but honestly there was a ridiculous change in Coventry's tempo in the last 10-15 minutes.

They sat far too deep and gave up any hope of their own offence. The coach really wants to look at that.

I thought the referees missed a blatant trip with ~20 seconds to go which led to Sheffields equalizer.

Gough60

Was it me, or was that 2 poor teams making the game look fast and open. Great to watch as a spectator but so so many errors, bad passes, and good old Mr. Noble screwing it up for the Blaze with his penalty at the end of regulation.

ASHIPP

Blaze looked on their knees in the last 10 minutes but they could have seen out that game and won it....as they deserved to. Lake and Ainsworth were supported by a hardworking bunch of forwards and Kopriva, their new goalie, was outstanding. Unfortunately, a very badly timed silly penalty by Noble cost them that game.

Whilst O'Connor is undoubtedly a top class defenceman whose return will improve the Steelers, I thought Sheffield were very average. Early game their defence was chaotic (and why were the commentators talking about the great chemistry between O'Connor and Davy Phillips?). Unfortunately another win will only encourage Simms to gush on Twitter...

Slartibartfast

I enjoyed that game. Sheffield are not back to their old selves but they have improved a lot. I think they will start climbing the table soon. Blaze looked good at times also but did look knackered at the end and that nob Noble cost them the game.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #20
Steelers sign 23yr old Anthony DeLuca, 5ft 8in left wing, born Montreal, spent last season with Frederikshavn in Denmark played 47 games 15 goals with 24 assists