Music

Eklof

Thread starter #1
Watching the game at home tonight, the music in break of play is embarrassing, is it just me or have we had the same playlist for about 10 years!?
Also our goal music needs something fresh imo!
Anyone have any suggestions?
Loved the old Wembley goal music last week.

Devils86

For everyone 1 person who wants a change there's another 1 that loves it. Can't keep everyone happy. I trust Sully. Update as appropriate but there are plenty who like the old favourites....

My suggestion this year (lol) would be to add some Nothing But Thieves but as I said I trust Sully

Kevlar68

Watching the game at home tonight, the music in break of play is embarrassing, is it just me or have we had the same playlist for about 10 years!?
Also our goal music needs something fresh imo!
Anyone have any suggestions?
Loved the old Wembley goal music last week.
So, you say the music is embarrassing but you give no suggestion of what should be played.
Drop in some examples of what you think would be good.

The problem is the older songs are recognizable as many still get air play on radio and TV 20 to 50 years on after their original release, the newer songs say the past 5-10 years are forgettable and don't have that longevity.
Maybe that's why.
You can't see Ed Sheeran or Dua Lipa being played 30 years from now where as bands like G N R, Queen, etc are being played.
Can you see Little Mix being more of a atmosphere builder than say Rev Theory?

Devils fans grow up with whatever songs are played at the game not with what songs are popular at the time.

Last edited:

E.D.S.

I'm sure you could pop Mr Sullivan a note if it's bothering you that much (I'm sure it's him that does all the match night stuff). I've only met the guy once briefly and only really know him from his interactions on here but he always seems like an upfront guy who's up for improving. Not a lot he can do to improve with comments like 'this is rubbish' and 'that is embarrassing'. I'm sure he'd be up for "what if you played this or that." Challenge you have with hockey is the demographic of patrons is wonderfully vast. It's whats make the Devils match night experience what it is - good for all ages, a safe environment and a friendly crowd.

Look at what the players used to warm up to (I'm never there early enough these days to hear it) but to me it was just a horrendous noise of rock but it's what they chose to get them up for it. Whenever I hear any of that now it makes me think of the warm ups. I still hate it!

Personally, the music isn't a detractor or an enhancer for me. Doesn't make one bit of difference but I understand that it will for others but the important thing is that this club ensures you can have say and your voice is heard. If they won't do something or change something they quite often come on here and explain why. Give them a chance, I'd say.

Kevlar68

I used to play the warm up, intro and incidental music at the WNIR from 96-98 as well as manage hospitality and the reason for rock music was aggression build up, ABBA, Rick Astley, Frank Sinatra etc doesn't really do the job.
Can you imagine me building up with "ladies and gentleman, boys and girls, please welcome on to the ice your BT Cardiff Devillllllllllllls!" then playing Dancing Queen, I think not.

E.D.S.

I used to play the warm up, intro and incidental music at the WNIR from 96-98 as well as manage hospitality and the reason for rock music was aggression build up, ABBA, Rick Astley, Frank Sinatra etc doesn't really do the job.
Can you imagine me building up with "ladies and gentleman, boys and girls, please welcome on to the ice your BT Cardiff Devillllllllllllls!" then playing Dancing Queen, I think not.
So what you're saying is.... you've never tried it and don't know? Mamma Mia was a huge success. Let's give it a go.

Kevlar68

For incidentals I used to play 3 rock songs then a fans song like mama Mia, hand jive, Hawaii 5 0, time warp, party style songs, 3 to 1 all through game.
Lets not forget we had bigger hits and more fights so then you would get theme from Rocky, beastie boys - fight for your right, Elton John - Saturday nights alright for fighting, you get the jist.
It's not rocket science but you do have to read the arena.

E.D.S.

For incidentals I used to play 3 rock songs then a fans song like mama Mia, hand jive, Hawaii 5 0, time warp, party style songs, 3 to 1 all through game.
Lets not forget we had bigger hits and more fights so then you would get theme from Rocky, beastie boys - fight for your right, Elton John - Saturday nights alright for fighting, you get the jist.
It's not rocket science but you do have to read the arena.
I absolutely loved the WNIR days and match night experience.

E.D.S.

The stand out for me is that my kids playlist is now full of songs that they hear at the hockey - The Archies, Sugar Sugar because of the Benti song or KC and the Sunshine Bands 'Give it up' because of the Stevie Lyle song I was once sang. Even Depeche Mode's 'just can't get enough' because the Panthers sing it. Can't imagine it's because they actually like the song, its more to do with what's is associated with it.

Kevlar68

I was always having chats with players and getting a feel for what flicks that switch on game night so some of the songs were added after I had talked with players to find what hypes them up.
Could never get a sensible answer from Shannon or Doug McCarthy.

Paul Sullivan

Thanks for the comments all. The music is under review and update. You will likely hear a new tune or two at stoppages each game as I work out what works. Stoppages aren't about the latest or coolest tracks - they are simply for us to try and juice up the crowd to fire up the team. More modern tracks will be added but some tracks are simply golden when it comes to a reaction.

This season has of course been like no other. 20 months of no use for the PA system, screens, rig, cables and hardware on site at IAW meant our number one priority was simply to make it work - and I think some decent improvements have already been made and commented on regarding on the PA sound quality. The 'Walk in' playlist is almost entirely different to the last season and changes each game.

We have as you'll have seen improved and expanded the graphics on screen, the advertising and game info, and of course included live feed and replays.

The match night music really y is one of those 'All of the people, some of the time' situations. Happy to take suggestions and yes happy to be approached I the Arena for a chat.

The Warmup playlist is chosen completely by the room, which I am a huge fan of.

Of course the best scenario is the fane are so loud I just don't play anything at all - like much of the 3rd Period against Belfast. I'm also always considering how the intro could be improved and if we can get the crowd going jthenao much the better!

Thanks again, over to you.

Thanks again

Sully.

Kevlar68

Every game i watch the crowd around the arena in the breaks and my honest opinion about 80% of the music gets a reaction.
If you get 25% of the arena reacting to a song then that's enough but if not ditch that song after a few plays, no point flogging a dead horse.
Always good to read the room and make judgements on what your playing through that.
You could always do music theme games like the 80's music for the anniversary.

Last edited:

terry hunt

So you were responsible for Hawaii 50

Kevlar68

There was a little boy, forget his name but others on here know him, he used to wear Hawaiian shirts to the game and pretend to paddle when the song came on, then he came with an actual paddle and it ended up a Hawaiian shirt, a paddle and a cardboard painted shark that would chase him as the song played. He was very entertaining.

moggy#9

There was a little boy, forget his name but others on here know him, he used to wear Hawaiian shirts to the game and pretend to paddle when the song came on, then he came with an actual paddle and it ended up a Hawaiian shirt, a paddle and a cardboard painted shark that would chase him as the song played. He was very entertaining.
That was Sam motton who now runs the extreme edges power skating school.

Kevin roog

He was entertaining, I’m sure he was sat near me if I remember, behind the goal(not the balcony end)

Kevlar68

Block numbers I can't remember he used to sit on bench side of arena second block away from scoreboard end if my memory is correct as he was opposite the DJ booth where I stood.

moggy#9

Block numbers I can't remember he used to sit on bench side of arena second block away from scoreboard end if my memory is correct as he was opposite the DJ booth where I stood.
Sam and his dad sat near the front of block 11 with his dad. His dad played for the huskies, so Sam helped us out with the coaching.