My interpretation of Owners Statement

Wannabe2

Thread starter #1
WE ARE GOING NO WHERE, AND HOPEFULLY NEITHER ARE YOU. All in this together guys we sure are, our owners have put their money in to make this club what it is, we now need to do the same to keep it at the top. If possible we should roll over our money to next season, if that’s possible of course. Times are tough at the moment but Devils fans know all about tough times, that’s why we have the best club in the UK, because of everyone of you guys. This club belongs to 3,000 odd fans, divided we would have fallen many moons ago, but together we are superbly strong, and are as tough as nails. What is happening at the moment sucks big time and is a huge challenge to us all, but as always we will beat this because WE ARE THE CARDIFF DEVILS. our amazing owners had huge faith in us guys, let’s give them another reason to say, good call guys. Let’s do what we can as we always have folks. Stay Safe guys.

Mazzoak

Call me a cynic, amongst other things :)

I‘ve been in the unfortunate position of working for 2 businesses that went into administration, employees became aware when wages hadn’t entered our banks and meeting called at 9.30am to be told to go home.
One business entered into redundancy process to reduce staff by 20%. All 3 situations had one thing in common, statements from top management stating their isn’t any issue to be concerned about and everything is fine going forward.

l’m sure everything is fine, I’m sure Steve & Todd have acquired enough funds over these last 5 yrs before they need to start using their kids inheritance to maintain the club etc etc.

Wagstaff

I remember even I donated to pay your injured entries wages that were owed by the last owners, the pandemic has hit and will continue to hit hard on all clubs, you guys are fortunate to now have the backing of a great group of people and I think you were more at risk of collapse then than now and have a fair chance of survival.
I do fear for other clubs especially the smaller clubs who won’t have the funds to come back as strong if at all when this is over, also I fear for the rinks, They still have to run a business until the big games and the paydays come back, running a rink with reduced numbers of paying public, less ice time paid for by rec clubs etc and don’t forget, if they go bust... no ice no club!
I know I can no longer afford to go to the games on a regular basis anyway, if this has hit me, I will not be alone so crowds could be down when hockey returns.
I love this sport and just hope it can survive, the league needs more teams not less, so I hope I am wrong on all of this.

Mazzoak

Scientists have admitted over 90% of infections have been caused by close family contact when people started visiting family and friends.
There are 47,000 pubs and restaurants in the U.K. attendance figures place around 8 million people visited in the first 3 weeks of opening. The amount of infections traced back to these are less than a hundred, So to blame pubs and restaurants is misleading.

Kevlar68

I used to work for Toys R Us during the Christmas period for 17 years. A year before they went in to liquidation they had a million pound refit of it's store and on the 11th hour of the liquidation happening they paid up 9 million and said it's all good for at least another 5 years........ 4 months later they were all closed up.
Then again Toys R Us were a lying sack of shit where as the Devils Org I have every faith in and believe they are true to their word. Why should we doubt them? When have they done us wrong? Never.
No one can predict the future but I am more confident the Devils Org and fans will get through this than not.
This is why it's so important our players (for now) are on someone else's payroll, it limits our outgoings and the players are earning.
I honestly believe that if there was the slightest problem the Devils Org would be straight with it's staff and fans, so until that time we have an organization we can be proud of.

tim78

The simple true is these owners are winning owners and the best the club could ask for.

The only thing we can ask is for them to find a way that we can contribute to keep them afloat for this period.

I've not renewed my season ticket, but I'm happy if Tod or the owners could say to moth ball the club will cost x amount and each fan would need to chip in.

Kevlar68

I think the raffles are a good thing, that's bringing in £3000 a week if all tickets sold then of course the Raffle site commission so still could be a good £2750 a week £11,000 a month if the raffles sell out so not to shabby, £1 a ticket is nothing and i buy £10 worth every raffle so does my partner, some on there buy more than that.
So fans are helping the club by buying in to the raffles.

E.D.S.

It was a good rallying call from Todd backed up by some positive tweets by the owners. At the end of the day the owners know how feasible it is to keep running the club. Raffles etc are the only way to support the club right now so it was a positive statement to put out. It didn't do any harm but like the examples above, things can change. I've been one of those people putting out a positive statement to a large group of employees knowing that a cloud of real uncertainty was hanging over us - it's the right thing to do at that stage. I'm not saying that Todd statement is all words and no substance, what I'm saying is he is acting in the role he's been brought in to do. Creating uncertainty can drive people (fans and sponsors) away. You want to hear a positive message from someone in the know and that's what he's done. Can't fault his professionalism and his leadership. Two of the main things he's brought to this club. It's a truly unique position to hear of players signing for another club on a temporary basis and openly saying they'll be back. Testament to what this ownership group have instilled at this club.
I'm not any more certain or confident that the Devils and the League will be ok but nothing that Todd or the league put out there would change that, for me. All I can do is make choices that fit me and my life right now - whether that's leaving my season ticket money where it is or sparing a few pounds each week to buy raffle tickets and merchandise - it's a personal choice. Cant' fault Todd at the moment. Unbelievably difficult and unique position to be in - there is no tried and tested business plan or strategy for this type of scenario.

moggy#9

Call me a cynic, amongst other things :)

I‘ve been in the unfortunate position of working for 2 businesses that went into administration, employees became aware when wages hadn’t entered our banks and meeting called at 9.30am to be told to go home.
One business entered into redundancy process to reduce staff by 20%. All 3 situations had one thing in common, statements from top management stating their isn’t any issue to be concerned about and everything is fine going forward.

l’m sure everything is fine, I’m sure Steve & Todd have acquired enough funds over these last 5 yrs before they need to start using their kids inheritance to maintain the club etc etc.
You say you're sure everything is fine, but throw doubt on the management team in the same post. The situation we're in at the moment is all about confidence. Even healthy organisations can be undermined by negative rumours - that's how runs on banks start. I'm sorry you've had bad experiences in the past, but please be careful what you say and don't transfer those negative experiences onto the best leadership and ownership group in British hockey.

Last edited:

Mazzoak

The future depends on more than just the Devils.

I get the comments EDS makes concerning positivity when dark clouds are looming for a business. For businesses that rely on money coming in for a product that’s provided over a period of time clarity tends to be less forth coming. I’m not say for one minute the Devils owners would knowingly continue selling a product they couldn’t provide. What I’m concerned about is other clubs and the leagues practices.

Does anybody know if players are on Furlough or claim self employment grants or are they being paid by the clubs or the league in some way or nothing at all.

KaneDevils

Scientists have admitted over 90% of infections have been caused by close family contact when people started visiting family and friends.
There are 47,000 pubs and restaurants in the U.K. attendance figures place around 8 million people visited in the first 3 weeks of opening. The amount of infections traced back to these are less than a hundred, So to blame pubs and restaurants is misleading.
Believing or trusting any statistics is more of a risk than not wearing your mask. The fact that opening the pubs would help kick start the economy, was purely coincidental.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

Thread starter #14
The future depends on more than just the Devils.

I get the comments EDS makes concerning positivity when dark clouds are looming for a business. For businesses that rely on money coming in for a product that’s provided over a period of time clarity tends to be less forth coming. I’m not say for one minute the Devils owners would knowingly continue selling a product they couldn’t provide. What I’m concerned about is other clubs and the leagues practices.

Does anybody know if players are on Furlough or claim self employment grants or are they being paid by the clubs or the league in some way or nothing at all.
It’s not all about the Devils but this is a Devils forum, as being concerned about other clubs and league practices they will sort their problems as we sort ours, they are all professional business,people in their own rights. No players are furloughed, and non are paid by clubs or the league as they ain’t playing, that’s why these guys are looking for teams elsewhere, as for claiming self employment grants that’s their concerns and no one else’s concern.

Mazzoak

Kane, absolutely, add incorrectly wearing & handling that mask also, yet some just don’t seem to grasp it.
The Hospitality industry wont kick start the economy, protecting the jobs in one of the U.K. larges industry’s was the reason. Not just the staff in the pub, the massive food chain, farmers, delivery network, the trades involved in maintaining buildings, equipment manufacturers, energy suppliers. It’s a big employer.

Wannabe.
The solvency of the other clubs & the league has a direct impact on the Devils, therefore highly relevent for debate, discussion and questioning. The character and practices of several club owners and league officials have been questioned in the past, see no difference here.
The players I was unaware of their situation as I’m not sure what their relationship is to the club regarding employment. I thought the most likely reason for leaving was to maintain fitness and skills, not wages. If their not being paid, at all, then is the raffle money being used to pay them something ?
If not and some are finding times tough, maybe something could be done via the supporters club........

Last edited:

Wannabe2

Thread starter #16
The players don’t get paid, the raffles are to help towards the running cost of the club etc. As for supporters getting involved we went down that road Many times before not with our current owners I may add, The lads will survive as many of us are surviving in these crap times.

Mazzoak

Players wages are a running cost to the club, you cheered the Owners as fantastic for allowing players to leave, knowing their not being paid I’d cheer if their shirts got auctioned and proceeds went to those in financial issues. Whilst the club own the shirt, it’s the players popularity and fan support that brings the £500 price tag we’ve seen in the past.
l don’t see any issue have Devils Red Army doing an event to raise money.......
Assuming of course players maybe finding times hard, I’ve no idea.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #18
Players wages are not a running cost to the club when their not playing due to the season being cancelled believe me that’s the way it is, we know it, the players know it, and the club know it. We don’t own the players like in football they can leave with 2weeks notice, and we can gas them with two weeks notice if they are under contract. Believe me the club did the right thing by the players as they always do, and the players know that. Todd was a player himself for many years and he does everything right by the players, I don’t think you really understand the logic about the way it works in hockey, many don’t, and usually don’t have too. You say you don’t have a idea how it works, but believe me the players do, and most will be back when we are back because they are very well looked after. Martin, Haddad,Ritchie, etc etc etc come back year after year because they are well looked after believe me. Take good care.

Mazzoak

I know the players are not owned by the club and that the club has financial commitments, although you did state on here that the club has no outgoings. You missed the 2 Directors and 2 Managers they employ.
l suggested a shirt auction or the raffle Money because it’s a way for fans to give back to the club, so how much they regard the players, their professionalism. Every week they risk their own health so we can be entertained. Whilst the club has no income, it’s owned by wealthy individuals who can more than afford to take this financial hit. Are Players as financially able to ride this, to not be paid for a year, possibly longer, could many of us on the Inferno.
l’ve been on Furlough, lost around a grand in wages, back doing unpaid overtime because staff shortage, as those redundant jobs suddenly are not so redundant. I expect my employer to remember these extra efforts I’m not required to do when the profits return, realistically it‘ll be ignored, any pay rise will be in line with inflation & not profit shared. If players are not being paid and finding no income or help, I’m certainly not going to criticise them for not wanting to put 100 % into the club, assuming they’d want to return.
What do you mean by “Believe me the club did the right thing by the players as they always do, and the players know that”. Are you referring to letting a few go, you said the club don’t own them, doesn’t pay them, if that’s the case, the club can’t stop them and has little to do with their decisions. If it’s to do with something else, is that outside of a players contract, again that has little to do with the owners as contracts are generally standard, up to individuals “Benifits” to attract that individual. No owner is going to offer every player Ferrari’s, Penthouse suites in 5 star resorts and £5 million a week just because their good owners who like to look after the players. I didn’t say l didn’t know how it works, l said l didn’t know what the relationship with the club is regarding employment. I‘d like you to comment further on actual facts, why you believe there are well looked after, l don’t me during normal playing season, I’m looking for actual actions now that the brown stuff is on the fan.....

As a side note, players are contractually obliged to not slag off their clubs, spread any confidential information or anything deemed detrimental to the club, any club, most contracts will protect the rights of those employing people and the business. So even if Todd and Steve were complete ars88oles, nobody is going to tell us.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

Thread starter #20
Your one lucky bunny to be furloughed, and to have lost one grand, I have been out of work for 22 weeks and not entitled to one penny, I have actually lost £16k so good for you. Anyway I am done with this it’s going totally no where and is boring the pants off me,have a good life and stay safe.