New coach: who should it be?

Seems lots don’t like the idea of DuPont taking the reigns (if that’s even an option being considered). He’s unproven as a Head Coach of course, but I don’t remember being overly excited when Lordo was announced and that didn’t turn out too badly.

Gazr76

Ive seen Dan Ceman has been mentioned a few times (speaking of Wally, although I could be wrong, but didn't Todd say that Ceman would have been his first choice on Wally's podcast?).

Slartibartfast

Seems lots don’t like the idea of DuPont taking the reigns (if that’s even an option being considered). He’s unproven as a Head Coach of course, but I don’t remember being overly excited when Lordo was announced and that didn’t turn out too badly.
Lordo played with passion and was an absolute work horse and he took that into his coaching. Passion and workhorse are not 2 words you could use to describe Dupont. I fear he is the replacement as he was supposed to be developing into a coaching role but I really hope not.

ASHIPP

Lordo was a slave to the craft for 6 years in Cardiff. Like Keefe at Giants, he lived and breathed his Club and Team. Yes, he was human enough to make mistakes (as you do when gaining experience) and wore his heart on his sleeve.
But that sort of passion and commitment motivates and influences others.

Last edited:

august04 2.0

There was a lot of excitement when Lord took over as player coach because people saw the work ethic, energy, pride and passion that he showed every week as a player. That doesn’t always translate into coaching but there was a real buzz back then. You can’t really say the same about DuPont as he seems to be a completely different character and you certainly can’t compare his work ethic on the ice, putting it mildly! He might turn into a great coach, you never know. I hope we go in a different direction though.

Lordo played with passion and was an absolute work horse and he took that into his coaching. Passion and workhorse are not 2 words you could use to describe Dupont. I fear he is the replacement as he was supposed to be developing into a coaching role but I really hope not.
I don’t disagree. I loved Lordo as a player and he made an incredible coach, but playing style and ability doesn’t necessarily translate into coaching. Whoever is chosen will be the right choice at the time, and if that’s DuPont then the ownership and Todd see something in him that we haven’t yet seen.

Mazzoak

Think Lord would be the only option at the moment. I’ve been told the way he left didn’t end on bad terms, he has gained experience & contacts, so he should come with better strategy, plans etc etc.
As for current squad, their performance is measured year round, not in the weeks before season end, agents would be negotiating months before, both with current and potential teams.

kingmo19.1

Think Lord would be the only option at the moment. I’ve been told the way he left didn’t end on bad terms, he has gained experience & contacts, so he should come with better strategy, plans etc etc.
As for current squad, their performance is measured year round, not in the weeks before season end, agents would be negotiating months before, both with current and potential teams.
Why would Lord be the only option when there are literally thousands of coaches out there? That makes no sense whatsoever.

I couldn’t care less who is it - I think like the majority of fans we just want to see an entertaining team in the ice.

Mazzoak

Why would Lord be the only option when there are literally thousands of coaches out there? That makes no sense whatsoever.

I couldn’t care less who is it - I think like the majority of fans we just want to see an entertaining team in the ice.
Fan favourite, most successful coach we’ve had, knows the league, knows the owners and management. Would be a stabilising figure for the club. Not that l rate him much as a coach when he was here, l could’ve been wrong, now he may well have gained some much needed & valuable experience.

E.D.S.

That isn’t true. Not even close

E.D.S.

Fan favourite, most successful coach we’ve had, knows the league, knows the owners and management. Would be a stabilising figure for the club. Not that l rate him much as a coach when he was here, l could’ve been wrong, now he may well have gained some much needed & valuable experience.
Didn’t “rate him”? The guy that won us titles and trophies? The guy that ended the 20 year wait for a playoff win. That guy?? Yeah we need someone better than him to achieve more than he did.
Another great post.

kingmo19.1

“Didn’t rate him” :)

“Now he may well have gained some much needed & valuable experience” :)

Dear me! Your plummeting the depths now to garner a reaction aren’t you!

Mazzoak

You guys don’t believe he could have improved.....when he was here, my criticism was that he was learning. Although some seemed to read something completely different. l guess they just had boring lives and needed to start an argument.

E.D.S.

Everyone can improve. That’s not what you said. You said “not that I rate him” which is a very very different matter. Not rating the Devils most successful coach is an odd thing to say… even by your standards.

Mazzoak

Being a successful coach in Cardiff doesn’t mean you are a decent coach, this isn’t a league of exceptional players, teams & coaches. If l moved to Mexico I’d be rich, if l moved to LA I’d be poor.......sorry if I’m coming across like I’m teaching a child.

voth26

With Neil Francis as assistant coach do we really need 2 assistant coaches and the extra salary that comes with that? The impression I got is that Dupont had brought his family who had settled in the area and when he was injured understandably the club preferred to keep him in a coaching role rather than the alternative of letting him go. Those questioning why injury cover for D wasn't brought in when we were down to 4D, I'd venture to say that salary going to Dupont probably played a role in that.
I think your point about Dupont salary possibly stopped us getting another D man in is a bit unfair to be honest, it seems that Dupont is becoming the scape goat yet again amongst Devils fans??

voth26

You've just acknowledged everything good about Lordo so how can you honestly say you didn't rate him as a coach when he was here, I think you definitely have a personal issue with Lordo.