New Devils coach found!

Mazzoak

Not sure how much recruitment can be achieved without knowing for certain the league will start next year. Nobody in December 2019 predicted the events coming within a few months, so I’m not convinced players will be confident enough to move clubs never mind continents without a period of time between the eradication of the virus and the season being allowed to start. So a coach building a team at this point, will need a big pencil & rubber.
At the moment kinda this points me to a player/coach already available, from the EIHL or European league. Maybe even an ex Devil returning as a coach.

jenks33

I was thinking more from a cost saving point of view. With the season cancelled I'm surprised the club have took on another overhead with a coach. However credit to the owners if they did, be a huge boost for recruitment next year.
Exactly this. The main reason I’m surprised we appear to be announcing a new coach next week is cost. Let’s be honest his first competitive game is likely to be September 2021. It’s cot a criticism I’m just a bit surprised

kingmo19.1

I was thinking more from a cost saving point of view. With the season cancelled I'm surprised the club have took on another overhead with a coach. However credit to the owners if they did, be a huge boost for recruitment next year.
Your assuming he’s getting paid immediately after signing. Players don’t get paid immediately after signing - only when they start actually playing. I would presume the guy is currently out of work and is securing his position in advance of actually starting.

KaneDevils

With respect mate, they more than know what they're doing. Grab your man before somebody else does!

CaldicotDevil

With respect mate, they more than know what they're doing. Grab your man before somebody else does!
Never doubted the C4. Like I said I'm surprised they took on a coach now, even if he's not getting paid he'll be on some kind of retainer.

My guts feeling is it was a coach too good to turn down, Excited to find out next week.

Devil94

Timing does seem strange to me but will see who it is before making a judgement.
If he was too good pass up then fair enough. Could have perhaps kept it quiet for a while but that would risk a leak from elsewhere in the hockey world.
If it's an ex player or someone underwhelming, we could have had an extra 6 months to find someone and more might become available.
Knowing Todd and the owners however it is surely the first scenario.

To be honest it makes perfect sense... maybe by the time he moves his family into Wales and settles down, should be enough time to plan what players he wants, and gives todd the time to go get those players.

Devil94

Bieksa has just started forging a new career as a TV analyst on Sportsnet, and fair play he's very good at it too. Cant see him leaving that to come and coach little old Cardiff Devils

Last edited:

Kevlar68

The timing isn't odd when you think of it. The leagues that are playing have their coaches already so the coaches from the leagues that aren't playing are all available until the next season, so they could sign a coach now with a pre-contract and then his contract wouldn't actually start until the new season is up and running.
There many good coaches out there from around the European leagues that haven't started yet, add to that the Calgary connection and the choice opens up.

Mazzoak

Bieksa was earning $2.6 mill in 2016. Currently doing TV and living in California with kids and a wife, still listed as Assistant Coach to Anaheim Ducks Jnr’s. Would this guy move to Cardiff, in the middle of a Pandemic with no season start date.

I think whoever is signed knows Cardiff, the set up etc etc.

KaneDevils

Todd said we have signed someone who's committed to the devils LONG TERM.
This has got to be an ex player imo
He also mentions highly qualified or over qualified applicants and we had got a beauty. That sounds too strong for an ex player, unless one of our former NHLers maybe? ...

moggy#9

He also mentions highly qualified or over qualified applicants and we had got a beauty. That sounds too strong for an ex player, unless one of our former NHLers maybe? ...
I think that the way this has been hyped up, from the initial comments about the level of applicants to now, the announcement has something to live up to. There's a number of reasons an applicant would make a long term commitment. A connection to the club is one, it could also be someone with a young family who wants some stability to family life. I think someone with exclusively North American experience would be a risk, as would (for instance) someone who has just played on Europe. It's a fun guessing game, but I'm sure that Todd and the owners have someone excellent fit us.