New sponsor

moggy#9

Thread starter #1
I see that the club has added betting.bet as it's official bettng partner. I know that betting has become more closely associated with sport over recent years, but I was surprised by this one.

Whilst gaining new sources of cash is good in these difficult times, i have particular views on the gambling industry and this is not something I'd use.

In the past the club had a strong ethical stance. In fact, I seem to remember in the Brent walker days, the involvement of a tobacco company in the autumn cup caused some friction. Clearly this is within the club's appetite for such things, but what would people consider to be ethical lines that the devils, or indeed any eihl club, should not crossed?

Last edited:

Kevlar68

I myself believe in any walk of life you'll do what it takes to survive be it on a personal level or business level as long as it's not illegal, so I have no problem with it myself.
Even though gambling can become addictive so can booze but we still have a bar.

Ejercito Rojas

Yeah, i understand your misgivings as betting site sponsors are a bit 'Marmite'.
However, as you say the club is badly in need of an injection of cash and I’m sure TK has done the due diligence to ensure the new sponsor is ethical in it’s business model.

For years FC Barcelona refused have a shirt sponsor saying it would devalue the club brand. When eventually they felt they had to engage a shirt sponsor they chose UNICEF.
For me, that’s the bench mark!

moggy#9

Thread starter #6
Yeah, i understand your misgivings as betting site sponsors are a bit 'Marmite'.
However, as you say the club is badly in need of an injection of cash and I’m sure TK has done the due diligence to ensure the new sponsor is ethical in it’s business model.

For years FC Barcelona refused have a shirt sponsor saying it would devalue the club brand. When eventually they felt they had to engage a shirt sponsor they chose UNICEF.
For me, that’s the bench mark!
As I understand the Barcelona situation, it was a sort of reverse sponsorship - the club gave UNICEF money and free publicity. I could be wrong on that though.

Devil94

Or the last betting sponsor the league had, who seemed to disappear off the face of the earth even quicker than they arrived.

hip check

It's income for the club, we're not really in a position to be ultra choosey regarding sponsorship, it's what keeps us operating so fine by me and I'm not a gambler other than a once a month go on the Thunderball lol.

Devils86

Looks like they will have some boards up around the arena - maybe a bit of time on the big screen as well. And will be prominent on the website.

Not much else, and it seems they aren't a standard betting company such as those affiliated with football etc.

Mazzoak

As an aside, they couldn’t be anywhere near as bad as Viola!
l did try to warn everyone.

I‘ve not got much support for shirt or ice sponsors, it spoils the look of the place and cheapens the brand, but it’s common practice, it’s a business and ultimately it’s purpose is to better the lifestyle of those who own said business. I’d love a world that everyone is equal or wealth is limited. Unfortunately we are a world that has millionaires/billionaires flying into space looking away from the world of mass poverty they could easily solve. I digress, having a betting sponsorship or partnership is just another wrong in a world of wrongs.

terry hunt

l did try to warn everyone.

I‘ve not got much support for shirt or ice sponsors, it spoils the look of the place and cheapens the brand, but it’s common practice, it’s a business and ultimately it’s purpose is to better the lifestyle of those who own said business. I’d love a world that everyone is equal or wealth is limited. Unfortunately we are a world that has millionaires/billionaires flying into space looking away from the world of mass poverty they could easily solve. I digress, having a betting sponsorship or partnership is just another wrong in a world of wrongs.
You really are sensitive soul