Next season away games

Kevlar68

Thread starter #1
Just a thought but would it be worth showing away games with webcasts in the viola bar? Would there be enough interest? It's revenue for the bar and would be a good day on a 6 nations double header.
Many don't use the webcasts but may want to watch away games.

Wannabe2

It’s not cheap to show a webcast in a commercial venue, by the time you pay that, and bar staff it’s probably a no brainer. You have to drive to get to our gaff, so that knocks drinking on the head so can’t see it happening sorry.

Devils86

Would be an interesting thing for the Fan Council to bring up, could see if it would be financially viable. Transport links to the arena are decent for locals - who knows there may be a few people who don’t get the webcast normally but would be up for watching with other Devils.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #4
I know sky and BT sport expensive so didn't know if webcast worked the same. Wasn't sure if bar was open anyway due to public skating so bar staff would be there.
I get the webcast but I would go to some for a bit of atmosphere.

Wannabe2

But a few people who may want to watch it ain’t going to make it viable, as I said it isn’t cheap to commercially show a webcast, the fees are high, and then pay bar staff it just doesn’t make financial sense, just can’t see it myself.

Wannabe2

The bar ain’t open just for public skating
You’d need a lot of punters to make it viable. Personally I wouldn’t drive the distance just to watch a webcast.
absolutely, I live 6 miles away and wouldn’t bother, it’s a no no for the club and probably for most fans. I can pay £10. Watch it on my sofa, feet up, with a few beers, in the warm, and no driving, unless it’s a huge important game then sorry.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #10
For me it's circumstances as I could make it every other weekend. Live in Swansea but in Cardiff every weekend and 8 miles away from arena but for a Saturday night out starting at arena watching an away game then move on to the bay i would do that and that's getting to arena by public transport but then I also buy the webcast on another weekend.

Last edited:

Devils86

Personally as I’m not going to Belfast I’d pay a modest entry fee and buy a few drinks to watch the webcast at the arena with Devils fans - would need to be a fair few for the atmosphere.

Put it on mute and plug the icetime guys instead of that ear-drum-bleeding-Giants-fan with the mic.

Appreciate not viable though. But that type of idea generation is what the Fan Council is for...

Diafol

I'm with Wannabe on this one.
By the time I've paid train / bus fares to get to the rink, it works out cheaper just to buy the webcast and watch at home... And that's before I've bought my first pint !

Nice idea but it's a no from me.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #13
Good to get both sides of it. And the reason for the thought was when I run Gretzkys at WNIR we were open Fri, Sat and Sun night for public skating sessions even if no game so I wasn't sure if Viola bar was the same.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #15
That's great, so they could show more away games if the interest was there if they showing this one and the turn out is good.

pjj365

Even if the Arena showed away games not sure I'd go

I guess commercial use of webcast is about £200 so you would need 40 to make it viable at £5 a head. It would be a good night out (I really enjoyed last year's league winning game (is that right?)) but for me (I drive so no drinking) it's £10 - the cost of a webcast.

So, £10 for home viewing, time for a pint beforehand, then a couple of drinks at home and not going out on a cold winter night webcast wins every time. It would need to be big to get me down there - like this weekend but I'm in Belfast

Kevlar68

Thread starter #17
Your revenue would be from wet sales and food. No charge for entry and let's not forget this forum is a tiny percentage of fan base with over 2000 at home games.

pjj365

Your revenue would be from wet sales and food. No charge for entry and let's not forget this forum is a tiny percentage of fan base with over 2000 at home games.
I agree wet sales would be the normal model but given the location so many people drive it is probably not viable