Panic on the streets of Sheffield

An entertaining read as always Jono...please keep posting the links here!

You could well be on to something. However, I don't think it's just the lack of marketing that's affecting attendances......it's also because they play boring hockey.

I went to both games on the weekend and to me it seemed like I was watching a different sport on each night. Sunday's game didn't resemble the sport I know and love. The product (and this is based on a number of visits to Shef) is not entertaining.

(Sheff started playing trap hockey after its first goal!)

I think they're on a bit of a hiding to nothing with their marketing as without a good product it's a waste of time. The product has to be fundamentally sound to achieve any real marketing success.

On the way home, our group (all passionate hockey fans) agreed if we lived in Sheffiled we'd all travel the 45 mins down the road to watch Nottingham instead.

So in short...I really think as a minority sport UK hockey has to consider entertainment as much as a winning team when creating its product. The Steelers are suffering from a failure to do this IMO.

TheStub

For me, Sunday was Shuff as normal, atmosphere wise. It is like a church in there, silent and empty.

It is only when I see a Devils game that I have any atmosphere, as the fans bring it with them.

I think they are loosing out to the Scimiters - who have put together an entertaining, gritty team of former Steelers favourites. Tickets are half the price, the product is entertaining and the atmosphere in a full(ish) Ice Sheffield is great. Why suffer the Elite League product, when there is some real fun to be had next door, cheaper?