Panthers Vs Devils - League - 17th Oct 2021

Ocko

It’s not so much about toughness or overall team physicality. It’s more the make up of it, almost all of our physical players are on D.

I know it’s comparing apples and oranges but look at our last season forwards who could be classed as big physical players; Riley, Haddad, Pope, Marjamaki, Dixon, Duggan, Batch (was forward then), Myers.

This season we have McNally and Dixon. Duggan of course remains but he’s playing as a spare forward rather than regular 4th line. Even a few of the players who weren’t big guys on the 19/20 roster like Martin, Linglet and Benti were still physical players. We’ve gone the complete opposite this season. I’m not necessarily saying one is better than the other but personally I preferred our forwards being a bit more naturally physical than they currently are. Even forgetting the hitting element, which obviously most of our fans love to see, our O-Zone time is way down. Which I personally don’t think is that great to watch. It’s great we break out at speed, that part is good, but I think we are riding our luck not being able to get good zone time and getting a cycle going.

Rempel16

It’s not so much about toughness or overall team physicality. It’s more the make up of it, almost all of our physical players are on D.

I know it’s comparing apples and oranges but look at our last season forwards who could be classed as big physical players; Riley, Haddad, Pope, Marjamaki, Dixon, Duggan, Batch (was forward then), Myers.

This season we have McNally and Dixon. Duggan of course remains but he’s playing as a spare forward rather than regular 4th line. Even a few of the players who weren’t big guys on the 19/20 roster like Martin, Linglet and Benti were still physical players. We’ve gone the complete opposite this season. I’m not necessarily saying one is better than the other but personally I preferred our forwards being a bit more naturally physical than they currently are. Even forgetting the hitting element, which obviously most of our fans love to see, our O-Zone time is way down. Which I personally don’t think is that great to watch. It’s great we break out at speed, that part is good, but I think we are riding our luck not being able to get good zone time and getting a cycle going.

Agree with this. We are going to run at around .500 this year unless we can find a way to get sustained pressure in the offensive zone.

Kevlar68

We look tired sometimes and out of ideas, we have a rush attack, short possession in O-zone then chasing back to defend for allot of the game. That's how it seems from block 4.

A great Wayne Gretzky quote "You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take."

Last edited:

Mazzoak

It’s a new coach to the league, new players, reduced bench, reduced finances & it’s only October for Christ sake.
Why are people looking at the O zone or whatever jargon they’ve read on google for reasons, when the reasons are blindingly obvious, see opening sentence above.
Chill out, we‘re obviously not aiming for the league win this yr, if it happens great, amazing, is this a triple cup team, no, is it a league winning team possibly, is it a competitive team, absolutely and one to build on. Greatness will come......

Kevlar68

Its an observation from me, not excuses.
The "jargon read on google" are the actual terms, it's offensive zone (O-zone) or attacking zone.
I say it as i see it from the perspective of my seat and the play i watch.
Time will tell as you say and the coach/players do need time.

Last edited:

E.D.S.

It’s a new coach to the league, new players, reduced bench, reduced finances & it’s only October for Christ sake.
Why are people looking at the O zone or whatever jargon they’ve read on google for reasons, when the reasons are blindingly obvious, see opening sentence above.
Chill out, we‘re obviously not aiming for the league win this yr, if it happens great, amazing, is this a triple cup team, no, is it a league winning team possibly, is it a competitive team, absolutely and one to build on. Greatness will come......
"we're obviously not aiming for a league win this year".... aren't we? what do you know?

Start giving people a bit more credit. I'm pretty certain they don't need to Google "O zone" time. It's pretty obvious to see that we don't spend a lot of time in the other teams zone, the offensive zone, the attacking area, that bit where their goalie stands - you know - the O Zone and it's certainly less time that previous teams.

I'm perfectly chilled. I observe something, I come on here and post about it, some agree, some disagree, some call it baseless. Perfectly chilled.

"reduced finances and reduced bench" apply to everyone in the league. Others still play a more aggressive possession style of play with their bench and finances. Are you saying that Skalde isn't educated enough on this league?? That's a bit of an oversight by Todd and the Owners who brought him in. Let's hope he's gone by Christmas and Paul Thompson is available.

E.D.S.

Its an observation from me, not excuses.
The "jargon read on google" is the actual terms, it's offensive zone (O-zone) or attacking zone.
I say it as i see it from the perspective of my seat and the play i watch.
Time will tell as you say and the coach/players do need time.
Get back to your Googling Kevlar68. You don't know anything.

Hockeymad

We wasnt expected to do well in the chl.

We have lost once in the league with games against steelers giants and panthers on record. 2 games being away.

We have virtually qualified in the cc Cup and still people are moaning.

Our fan base is very bizarre

We look tired sometimes and out of ideas, we have a rush attack, short possession in O-zone then chasing back to defend for allot of the game. That's how it seems from block 4.

A great Wayne Gretzky quote "You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take."
tiredness shouldn’t come into it whether they hard a hard game on Saturday or not these players are professionals and their fitness should be 100%

E.D.S.

We have lost once in the league with games against steelers giants and panthers on record. 2 games being away.

Is it moaning though? Just seems like people are expressing a view or an observation. Even when we won the recent league titles, challenge cups and playoff titles there were still 'observations'. That season when we equalled the world record for a winning streak, there were still "moans".

What's more baffling to me, is that people are surprised with the "moaning" or observations that don't ooze positivity. It's part of the course. Surely no one should be surprised that people want to offer an opinion. It's bizarre that people are offended, upset, put off or annoyed by it. It's a chuffing forum. It's for debating. Debating whether people have a right to observe or "moan" is the bizarre aspect here.

We have an unreal ownership group, a cracking arena and year on year a competitive team but people still have the right to observe and "moan".

Kevlar68

tiredness shouldn’t come into it whether they hard a hard game on Saturday or not these players are professionals and their fitness should be 100%
100% fitness levels are only at start of a game by 3rd it may be 80%, no player in any sport is 100% for duration of a whole game so tiredness can set in.
Players with slight muscular niggles can still play a full game but not be 100%.
Yes they are professional sports people, they're not super human.
You hear all the time in football, rugby etc managers saying players are tired after a busy schedule so why do you think an ice hockey team would be different?
Effort levels in some games are higher than others so there can be tiredness going in to the next game of a double header.
And that counts for all teams.

Last edited:

jenks33

Is it moaning though? Just seems like people are expressing a view or an observation. Even when we won the recent league titles, challenge cups and playoff titles there were still 'observations'. That season when we equalled the world record for a winning streak, there were still "moans".

What's more baffling to me, is that people are surprised with the "moaning" or observations that don't ooze positivity. It's part of the course. Surely no one should be surprised that people want to offer an opinion. It's bizarre that people are offended, upset, put off or annoyed by it. It's a chuffing forum. It's for debating. Debating whether people have a right to observe or "moan" is the bizarre aspect here.

We have an unreal ownership group, a cracking arena and year on year a competitive team but people still have the right to observe and "moan".
Well said. 99% of the negative posts (if you can even call them negative) are just opinions on how the team or tactics can be improved in that persons opinion. It baffles me that some people get so offended by it on a forum! Some of the opinions are 100% spot on as well. For example we’re allowing too many 2 on 1’s and we’re missing a first line centre. They’re just facts I’m afraid

Mazzoak

"we're obviously not aiming for a league win this year".... aren't we? what do you know?
Its pretty obviously going to particularly tough, for reason I’ve given. Obviously that’s every teams aim, realistically though, come on, 18 months shut down will be a factor. It’s been a factor in everyones job.......

Start giving people a bit more credit. I'm pretty certain they don't need to Google "O zone" time. It's pretty obvious to see that we don't spend a lot of time in the other teams zone, the offensive zone, the attacking area, that bit where their goalie stands - you know - the O Zone and it's certainly less time that previous teams.
Why. This isn’t the team reading this, we’re not in the changing room, writing such terminology is just a way of showing people you know some stuff........reality.

I'm perfectly chilled. I observe something, I come on here and post about it, some agree, some disagree, some call it baseless. Perfectly chilled.
Some members have short memories when it comes to comments made on threads going back to previous yrs. Those who belittled the observations/moaning as you call it pre Christmas by members of years gone past are ironically now the ones moaning.......in October, in a pandemic, with a new coach.

Are you saying that Skalde isn't educated enough on this league?? That's a bit of an oversight by Todd and the Owners who brought him in. Let's hope he's gone by Christmas and Paul Thompson is available.
You clearly are, or you’ve no idea what has been written. I’m defending the club, the coach, the players. You don’t win or loose the league playing your nearest rivals in the first game of the season, so chill out wait till the criticism is justified.......that’s directed at everyone not just you EDS.

Last edited:

Mazzoak

Some posters infamously break down around Christmas, what is bizarre is those who lamented such stupidity are now the ones breaking down loosing their load, all before November.

Bizarre indeed......Covid got a lot to answer.

Kevlar68

I will say this, Mazzoak, i agree with you sometimes and i also disagree with you sometimes, some times you make me laugh as your quite quick witted other times i laugh cause you say ridiculous things, the same as all of us on here BUT please give the Devils fans a bit more respect. Saying "O-zone" doesn't mean "We know some stuff" more than other hockey fans, i think most ice hockey followers would figure out O-zone or know exactly what it means, you don't need to be in the team locker room to work that out, come on, raise your game mate.
NOTE: For those on here that are taken to be idiots "Locker Room" is a terminology for "Changing Room"

Last edited:

E.D.S.

Its pretty obviously going to particularly tough, for reason I’ve given. Obviously that’s every teams aim, realistically though, come on, 18 months shut down will be a factor. It’s been a factor in everyones job.......

Why. This isn’t the team reading this, we’re not in the changing room, writing such terminology is just a way of showing people you know some stuff........reality.

Some members have short memories when it comes to comments made on threads going back to yrs, particularly pointing out early season negativities.

You clearly are, or you’ve no idea what has been written. I’m defending the club, the coach, the players. You don’t win or loose the league playing your nearest rivals in the first game of the season, so chill out wait till the criticism is justified.......that’s directed at everyone not just you EDS.
You've lost me mate. Your intellect far out weighs mine. Just let me know when it's safe and proper for me to voice an opinion. Shall we aim for post Christmas? I just want to manage my own expectations and not jump the gun. Cheers buddy. Enjoy your Christmas.

Mazzoak

I will say this, Mazzoak, i agree with you sometimes and i also disagree with you sometimes, some times you make me laugh as your quite quick witted other times i laugh cause you say ridiculous things, the same as all of us on here BUT please give the Devils fans a bit more respect. Saying "O-zone" doesn't mean "We know some stuff" more than other hockey fans, i think most ice hockey followers would figure out O-zone or know exactly what it means, you don't need to be in the team locker room to work that out, come on, raise your game mate.
NOTE: For those on here that are taken to be idiots "Locker Room" is "Changing Room"
Kevlar68 l fully respect every comment you make, same for most posters, but come on, we’ve both been around long enough to know people use certain terminology in a way to puff up. I’m not having a pop at you as you’d replied to the previous comment.
Nobody watched last nights game with a smile, nobody came away thinking that was a great game. We don’t need to point out O zone percentages, it was blatantly obvious for 98 % of the fans watching. What we should be doing is getting behind the new guys, support the team, chalk it up to experience and wait to see what transpires in the future. They are after all the paid professionals.......

Mazzoak

You've lost me mate. Your intellect far out weighs mine. Just let me know when it's safe and proper for me to voice an opinion. Shall we aim for post Christmas? I just want to manage my own expectations and not jump the gun. Cheers buddy. Enjoy your Christmas.
Whatever.