Patrick Asselin signs in Germany

Temme

Thread starter #1
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/14959/patrick-asselin

the same team he played for 10 years ago.

Interesting signing, i thought he had retired to pursue photography full-time, but obviously no!

Best of luck to him with his new team!

article below:

link: https://www.herner-ev.com/erste-man...achrichten-patrick-asselin-verstaerkt-den-hev

Roughly translated:
On Monday evening (German time) Patrick Asselin signed the contract of the Herne EV in his Canadian homeland. He is expected shortly in his new sporting home. He knows that already, because in the season 2008/09 he played once before on Gysenberg and stormed at the side of Nils Liesegang in the Oberliga Nord. Both were as 21-year-old the top scorer in the former HEV team and came together to 172 points. After that, the ways of the storm duo parted, so now 10 years later, together again on scoring goals and points to be able to go.

The now 31-year-old Patrick Asselin (12 days older than Nils Liesegang) learned the hockey games in his hometown Peterborough (Province of Ontario) and played before his transfer to Herne at Saginaw Spirit in the Ontario Hockey League. After his first guest appearance in Germany in 2009, he returned to his home country two years later to storm the Starbulls Rosenheim in the second league. His other stations were SønderjyskE (Denmark) and Bietigheim. The last two seasons he was active at the Cardiff Devils in the British Elite Ice Hockey League. There he was British champion twice in a row and in April this year also playoff winner.

The Herner EV is looking forward to his Canadian newcomer. "He was our preferred candidate and we are glad that he has decided for us" explain trainer Danny Albrecht and HEV CEO Jürgen Schubert in unison. "We have been in contact for a while now and now it was fine." More information, also pictorial, will follow later this week.

Ocko

Didn't he tweet that he hadnt retired, he just hadnt signed anywhere yet early in the summer.

I'm pretty much certain he wasnt wanted back anyway.

JT666

Surprised he didn't sign elsewhere in the EIHL, seems a waste of a good talent playing in such a low tier of German ice hockey.

RedDevil17

Asselin was a good player in the 2 years he was with us and it was a shame he left at first but we’ve upgraded in the offseason. As someone else said he is good enough to play in the EIHL for someone like the Clan, Dundee or Guildford. I wish him luck at his new club. Guessing he’s gone to the low level of Germany hockey because he wants to focus more on the photography side of things whilst playing less competitive hockey. Germany seems like a really nice place

mk18

A great pick up for Herner EV 2007 for the rest of the season! Just scrolling through EliteProspects and Herner seem to be sat in second place of the Oberliga Nord behind the Tilburg Trappers. By all means this is not a terrible standard of Hockey and the league includes several EIHL alumnus: Björn Bombis (Blaze) who currently leads the league in points, Tyler Mosienko (Steelers), Garrett Milan (Capitals), Kevin Bruijsten (Stars) and a certain ex Devil...Tomáš Kůrka. Wishing the best of luck to Patrick for the season ahead and I hope he and his family enjoy their time exploring Germany. I for one will be following his season and am looking forward to seeing the photos that will follow!

DaveSmith

I’ll be in the minority but I was happy he didn’t return. Always seemed to be playing within himself, had tonnes more ability than he actually showed. And his “injury” dragged out an awful lot longer than it needed to last year (I’m sure a few have you have heard that rumour).

JT666

I’ll be in the minority but I was happy he didn’t return. Always seemed to be playing within himself, had tonnes more ability than he actually showed. And his “injury” dragged out an awful lot longer than it needed to last year (I’m sure a few have you have heard that rumour).
Haha spill the beans, I'm intrigued! (PM me if needed.)

Devil94

I loved him as a player. When he was on his game he could control a game, and even turn a game on its head. That game in Belfast where we came back in the third period to score 4 goals for example, he was sensational in that game. Wouldn't have happened without him.
I do suppose though he had a few nights where he was quiet and looked off the pace. Maybe too many of those nights for Lordo, which is why he isn't back.