Playoff Quarters Opponent, who would you prefer?

Koop11

I’d rather play Sheffield. Despite their form, I think the Caps are more dangerous on their night. They’ve put in some great performances in our rink where as Sheffield have looked pretty uninspiring to me. There is also the travel to consider.

My preference would definitely be Edinburgh, just hope that nothing game against Sheffield where we gifted them two points doesn't come back and bite us on our rears.

DevilDom

looking more and more likely that it will be the Steelers in the qualifying round, which IMO is not good.

I would be gutted if we lost out to them and there recent improvement worries me, they must be the form team of the past month or so.

Gazza272

DevilDom said:
looking more and more likely that it will be the Steelers in the qualifying round, which IMO is not good.

I would be gutted if we lost out to them and there recent improvement worries me, they must be the form team of the past month or so.

But at the end of the day we have to be the best over 4 games if we want to win it whoever we play. Let's play the Steelers and let's send out a message to other teams we are serious about winning the whole thing.

Wannabe2

Gazza272 said:
DevilDom said:

But at the end of the day we have to be the best over 4 games if we want to win it whoever we play. Let's play the Steelers and let's send out a message to other teams we are serious about winning the whole thing.
Thats exactly spot on, we have to be good enough to get there, and if team A shows up, then it doesnt matter who we play. But team A has to show up.

I'd rather we played who we end up playing cos we've tried our best and not tactically let other teams win to suit who we end up playing as suggested :roll:

DevilDom

I know we can beat anyone on our day, but i'd still rather qualify for the play-off weekend by the easiest route possible. Its a lot of money to spend to not see your team play!

The Steelers seem to have written off the league early in the season and are now gearing up nicely for the play-offs. If we can avoid them i'd prefer that.

We can send a message out to the rest of the teams in the semi-final!

The most recent walesonline article seems to suggest our home game is on Saturday 27th. I know this will be the case if we have Sheffield (as they've already booked their home game for the Sunday)... but I hope it's not the case if we have Edinburgh - who would be my prefered opponents.

Can't complain too much though - we have had the 2nd leg at home the past couple of years despite finishing bottom half. I'll have to miss the home leg though if it is on the Saturday as I'm in a wedding :cry: which means this sunday could be my last Devils game until next season... Noooooooooooo!

Wannabe2 said:
What about the Finals mate.
Could bemy last Devils game of the season on Sunday. I haven't bought playoff tickets yet - waiting to see if they get there first. I think it'll be close whichever team we play. Need two good performances and ensure we either get a 2+ goal winning margin at home if that's the first leg... or nick a draw if it's away first. As you can tell - I have confidence in our away form :?

Finny

James said:
G has stated he likes playing first leg home first hasn't he ?
He has in the past yeh, at least when we got to pick against Manchester.

If it was against Edinburgh, I would pick to play home first. It's a long journey there and back and I think the team who don't travel twice would have an advantage. I'd also be wary of having to chase a game against Edinburgh if they play their usual tactic of 1 man up front on his own.

If it was Sheffield though, the travelling wouldn't come into it as much. And I would rather go up to Sheffield and keep it close (which we have done this season) before bringing them back down and blowing them away infront of a sell out crowd.
Of course, that won't happen because Uncle Bob has done whatever he wants to do. As usual.

DevilDom

I really don't understand how Shuff can start selling their tickets for the home leg and take the decision out of the hands of the team who finishes above them. How is that allowed to happen? Add this to the Voth ban (and the lack of sanction on Bergin) and it shows what a complete joke this league is. So should rename it The Shefiield / Nottingham EIHL.

The unfairness and bias shown really makes me feel like walking away from the sport sometimes. I also wonder why the majority of other clubs bother and why The Devils bother even trying with so much stacked up against us. Maybe they would prefer a league with just the two of them in it or a 4-team elitte league. It certainly can't help in attracting new teams either - why would they want to play in this league?

I paid the deposit on a season ticket today (my first) and i'm now thinking should I bother? We're never gonna be given a fair crack of the whip.

You have organisations like the Devils who do a really good job of attracting new fans to the sport and this is what they get served up - inconsistency, unfairness and down-right bias.

Sorry about the rant, but i'm so angry about these things.

I'm just waiting for nottingham to finish 3rd and sheffield 6th, for the fight to play their home game on sunday :lol: now that could be fun!!!!

DevilDom

cf38 said:
I'm just waiting for nottingham to finish 3rd and sheffield 6th, for the fight to play their home game on sunday :lol: now that could be fun!!!!
I would love it, really love it if that happens, but can't see it now. I would love it though. :evil:

I have been told by numerous people on the forum that G preferes to play the home leg first, does anyone else think this is a bit odd. I know there are traveling issues but at least you know what you have to get if you play the harder away leg first, especially with our away record this year.