Pope calls it a day

Swarley

Not surprised as the season didn't happen, but the fact he said if there had of been a season he'd of been back shows just how much he loved the club and the organisation.

tim78

All the best Matt, some good goals and plays. You definetly made the effort and helped take the devil's to the chl.

moggy#9

Not really surprising, but yet again a good servant of the club who wasn't able to get the send off his deserved. I imagine that rectifying that for Matt and some of the others will be on the to do list for the club when things resume.

Another big loss.

When the season do start the devils will literally be starting from scratch.
New goalie new coach new players assistant coach etc.

Exciting times but will we ever reach the heights of the last few seasons?

Wannabe2

Thread starter #8
Good first season then it unfortunately waivered, did score some important goals but not consistent enough for me, hit well in first season but that also seemed to go into hibernation, Being harsh maybe but 3 seasons for me was certainly 1 too long. Wish Matt all the best though but certainly time to move on.

Mazzoak

I wish him all the best.

I agree his 1st yr went well, from then he seemed to be happy to turn up, put his feet up and coast up until February, then he seemed to perk up.I’d have gassed him then, always seemed to play after Christmas, the run in or maybe after a boll88king. Certainly fitted into the changing room culture and ethos of the team, nice guy, just wish he’d played consistently for the whole season......

ASHIPP

A player criticised for his drop in play in season 2. Commendably fought back from season 2 injury and found a role last season where he played well when fit. Injury prone and didn't achieve the consistency of his first season here.
Matt still made his contribution to the team that won the league, the Playoffs and qualified for CHL for 3 consecutive years.

Wishing him all the best for the future.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #12
Don’t think players will be a problem when we get back to some normality , lots of guys will want to return as it’s a good life for them, those who don’t will be replaced by equal or better talent and that’s a fact.

august04

Good first season then it unfortunately waivered, did score some important goals but not consistent enough for me, hit well in first season but that also seemed to go into hibernation, Being harsh maybe but 3 seasons for me was certainly 1 too long. Wish Matt all the best though but certainly time to move on.
Agreed. If 20/21 had gone ahead as normal, I’d have been disappointed if he was re-signed.

kingmo19.1

Good player when he originally came to us with a good hockey IQ. Shame he couldn’t maintain consistency throughout - but hardly anyone remains completely consistent. Had this season gone ahead, might have done a good job on the 4th line with the Brits, but maybe that would it have motivated him? Wish him all the best in his retirement.

Last edited:

Diablo3

I agree Season 2 wasn't his best, maybe he was carrying an injury, but Season 3 he was hitting like a train and getting in to the dirty areas. 12 goals and 18 assists wasn't a bad return, and I for one will miss him on the ice.

tim78

I agree Season 2 wasn't his best, maybe he was carrying an injury, but Season 3 he was hitting like a train and getting in to the dirty areas. 12 goals and 18 assists wasn't a bad return, and I for one will miss him on the ice.
I'm sure someone said he played through injury in season 2, turned up in the CHL from what I recall that season but didn't look at form.

Just for the memories, it was his cross ice pass that gave Linglet that sublime back hand in the panthers semi game.

Where's the sad emoji... another 12months to go.