Possibly some good news.

kingmo19.1

I think there will be further good news from AstraZeneca/Oxford and Moderna in the next few weeks who are also concluding Phase 3 trials. The more vaccines that hat are proven then the quicker the process will be.

Mazzoak

It’s the distribution network that will be difficult, one European country has already stated it doesn’t have a facility capable of storing and distributing this vaccine due to its current storage needs. Then there is the man power required to administer.
Also the effectiveness at 90% effective may not be enough to guarantee a return to normal in many enclosed environments, such as arena & nightclubs.
Obviously these issues will be overcome, eventually, how long that will be is the problem.

Wannabe2

Well let’s just keep the glass half full, keep positive and hopefully we will look back at these very sad times and get back to some sort of normality. Keeping strong together now is what we all need, unfortunately this thing is here, it exists, it’s extremely dangerous, but hopefully together we will overcome all this crap and get back together in better times. In the meantime Stay Safe All.

kingmo19.1

It’s the distribution network that will be difficult, one European country has already stated it doesn’t have a facility capable of storing and distributing this vaccine due to its current storage needs. Then there is the man power required to administer.
Also the effectiveness at 90% effective may not be enough to guarantee a return to normal in many enclosed environments, such as arena & nightclubs.
Obviously these issues will be overcome, eventually, how long that will be is the problem.
Typical Mazzoak - in every silver lining there is a cloud :).

You must be Wannabe’s polar opposite cousin :)

Mazzoak

I’ve always found its better to deal/accept issues than to stick my head up my rear and hope it’s gone by tomorrow.
I’m neither an overly positive or negative person, I’m in the middle, it’s worked for me, I’ve never had mental health issues, l’ve never been depressed & touch wood l never will be. I’ve always planned for all eventualities, always have a plan B,C,D,E and never place all my hopes and expectations on A. If Hockey returns, I’ll continue to watch, if it don’t I’ll watch something else. If l lose my job, which is still a real possibility I’m planning other career stuff. Assuming Covid doesn’t kill me.........

rocketbob

Thread starter #26
Not trying to be contrary but I think within the UK we have enough infrastructure to distribute the vaccine. It may take longer than we might like. The bigger issue is getting it into the country after December 31st.

Still going to be summer next year at the earliest before the main population are able to get their hands on any vaccination... very early days.. im still not convinced they'll be a season next year.. there isn't even talk of having fans back outdoors at elite football in England yet!

Kevlar68

If they just had a training camp, no friendlies and started league in October that may be a possible go ahead IF vaccine is up to scratch and distribution started in summer. Until a 100% vaccine is found then it all depends on that date.

Mazzoak

Certainly better news, although several weeks ago the EU secured 160 million doses, today the U.K. secured 5 million, with no further prospect as they’ve voiced their main priority is the vaccination of the US population. Hopefully the vaccine will be licensed and allowed to be produced around the world, although l doubt it. Still a vaccine at 94% still means 6% at risk, a business with a significant number of people in the higher risk group could potentially be disproportionately impacted financially.

Last edited:

rocketbob

Thread starter #33
Just by comparison, the normal seasonal flu jab is rated as between 40% and 60% effective. We are not likely to get much higher than 94% effective.

Kevlar68

Maybe the drug itself is only 94% completed not the effectiveness ?

A drug can be 100% effective against the virus but not 100% effective in everyone.

Last edited:

Mazzoak

You’ll never get 100% effectiveness from a vaccine. Even the current 94% is only in the test group. Vaccines need the individuals immune system to work with it and that can‘t be measured for certain until everyone is vaccinated. So the number, in this case the 94% could be lower in reality. Factor also there is around 300 mutated versions of the original Virus, which is why Corona Viruses are so difficult to deal with, the change weekly.
The problem with numbers, it’s why you see Anti Ageing cream adverts will be something like 84% out of 60 people tested noticed improvement, the higher the number of users, the chances the % will drop.
There is no option, 94% vaccine, with social distancing and time through the Summer should help eradicate the Virus, the only issue is Winter is always present on the planet and with air travel set to resume. This gives a real possibility that the U.K. for example maybe successful lowering numbers going into Spring/Summer to then have people coming from colder climates, such as Argentina who’d be in winter at that point bringing into the U.K. a mutated version.

kingmo19.1

Any vaccine with an efficacy rate over 90+ % is an extraordinary effort In such a short period of time. Doesn’t need to be 100% effective (no vaccine is), but a high efficacy means the virus will be severely restricted in jumping from person to person. Eventually, with mass inoculation it will die out. How long that takes is another matter.