Qualified for the challenge cup?

Gazza272

Thread starter #1
After hull Beat Coventry tongiht are we now guaranteed to go through to the semi final of the challenge cup? I work it out that we do, but i have been known to get these things wrong :lol:

Ger-Devils

We can get 11, Panthers can get 11 max - if they beat us at home that is. Blaze can get 9 max, steelers are on 9.

So if all goes to plan - we will be ok

TheStub

I don't think it is quite settled. We are in a strong position, but the cleanest way is a win against the panties. Although I think a draw would probably do it as well.

Gazza272 said:
After hull Beat Coventry tongiht are we now guaranteed to go through to the semi final of the challenge cup? I work it out that we do, but i have been known to get these things wrong :lol:
We lie behing the steelers on games won, and the Blaze can get the same points as us with potentially more wins, and the Panthers can get more points. We need to get something out of the next CC game, and even a point will see us through.

kettdevil1

cofio said:
Gazza272 said:
We lie behing the steelers on games won, and the Blaze can get the same points as us with potentially more wins, and the Panthers can get more points. We need to get something out of the next CC game, and even a point will see us through.
Strangely the EIHL site has us as top - perhaps there is a different tiebreaker for the Cup?

Rempel16

kettdevil1 said:
cofio said:
Gazza272 said:
Strangely the EIHL site has us as top - perhaps there is a different tiebreaker for the Cup?
Maybe results between the teams?

Koop11

Seems its results against as apposed to goal difference, although I would hope the league could confirm the situation:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sports/ice ... -27658170/

Therefore, if I have this correct, if Coventry win their remaining games against Hull and Nottingham then they are level on points with us and share a win and loss against us, meaning that could go down to goal difference. If they lose either game, I think we’re through with Nottingham, regardless whether we beat them or not.

To play it safe we will need a point against Nottingham when we play our final CC Group match at home. We also will want to top the group to avoid Belfast.

All to play for still.

Finny

I have requested confirmation off the league's stats guys on the tie-breakers for the CC as I only have the league ones at the moment.
The table on the official website could well be wrong though, as I have a feeling goal difference counts before results between teams. In which case Sheffield should be ahead of us - and is what I was sent in the stats round-up last night.

I'm pretty sure we still need a point from that last game against Nottingham.

Stupidly - although I may be wrong, I think Elite League site has put us top on percentage of points to games - but then if we lose our last game, it'd depend on other tie-breakers - would be good to know what the tie-breakers are as it could come down to that. I haven't gone through it completely, but I'm almost positive we have to win that last game v Nottingham.

Oh - and not that I'd really on this at all - but BBC red button / ceefax / text whatever you want to call it now has us top of the group so hopefully they are aware of tie-breakers and we are currently above Blaze.

ASHIPP

It is possible that Blaze could still get 9 points (they have 2 remaining games to play). If they do, and the Devils don't pick up a point from their final cc game (against Nottingham), it's possible that Steelers, Blaze and Devils could all be tied on 9 points.
I don't know whether it comes down to goal difference or actual results (i.e. number of wins, ties, losses) that decides who qualifies. :?

Long and short of it - Devils will be going for that win at home on 18th December. It would give them 11 ponts. However, a draw game would give them 10 points - they would just edge qualification. :D

DevilDom

Koop11 said:
http://www.eliteleague.co.uk/cup-and-league-criteria-p167524
Were these available before the competition started?

Its a bit of blow for us in that if points are equal the next criteria is total games won. Therefore the having won 3, drawn 3 but only lost 1 we are at a disadvantage to say the steelers who have won 4 drawn 1 and lost 3.

This means we will definitely need something from our final game.

Gazza272

Thread starter #14
TheStub said:
Us beating the Panthers is the cleanest way. No need for a tie break at all then.

Of course it could end up that us and Nottingham both only need a point to be sure of qualification. Could be interesting :lol:

wildthing74

How convenient is that for Sheffield that games won comes into play before both goal difference AND results against each other which are usually the first way of splitting a tie in most sports.

The league really don't help themselves sometimes. Is it really too much to ask that this sort of info could be made clear before the competition starts? When all the conspiracy theories start, they only have themselves to blame.

Let's hope the Devils can get two points off Nottingham next month!

osh

Before we tear the League - and all it stands for - to pieces, we are assuming that the rules have just been made up recently. Surely all the clubs would have known what the set up was prior to the 1st game. If not, I would expect our organisation to clarify things if they find anything out of order.

ASHIPP

This is nailbiting! 4 teams in 'the Group of Death' could still qualify - under varying conditions.

The Devils will be going all out for the win against Panthers on Dec 18th - even though a draw game would give them 1 point making 10 in total....and hopefully will edge them into qualification.

The 9 point situation would be cruel irony - Steelers chances there are in the hands of other teams and Sheffield could qualify simply because they have won more games, even though they may have scored less goals. :evil:

Gazza272

Thread starter #19
osh said:
Before we tear the League - and all it stands for - to pieces, we are assuming that the rules have just been made up recently. Surely all the clubs would have known what the set up was prior to the 1st game. If not, I would expect our organisation to clarify things if they find anything out of order.

A Journalist from Coventry has said that Paul Thompson was under the impression the first tie breaker was head to head results.

DevilDom

wildthing74 said:
How convenient is that for Sheffield that games won comes into play before both goal difference AND results against each other which are usually the first way of splitting a tie in most sports.
That was what I was thinking which is why I asked whether this criteria was available pre-season.

To publish them before the final group games is bound to cause some people to think something dodgy is going on :evil: