Riley retires!

kingmo19.1

Ah that’s a shame, would like to have seen him for a couple more seasons but good luck to him, solid player.

I think with everything going on with Covid perhaps a few more older players will be thinking the same.

Whenever we get back our time will be almost unrecognisable are this rate!

Wannabe2

Great shame and still only 34, probably been offered a good job. Blair did play for Team Canada in the Spengler Cup Kev. Good luck mate and take good care, big loss but we move,on.

Kevlar68

Looking at our players ages by next season there could be a couple more retired. Our roster could end up being half of it all new signings.

Wannabe2

Certainly looks like 9/10 players won’t be returning, if not more. Huge job on the recruiting front when that’s feasible to do. Hopefully that will be sooner than later, and is quite exciting really, always good to see new players. Stay Safe.

pjj365

I can't get to 9/10 definitely not returning but am open to correction

I make it:
Retired - Benti, Murdy, Riley, Pope = 4
Permanent transfer - Bowns, Fournier, Reddick = 3

Who have I missed?

Wannabe2

Pure speculation and not a wish list, but some players that wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t return.
Linglet, Morrison,Mc Monagle. As I said it’s not a wish list, but these could happen.

pjj365

Pure speculation and not a wish list, but some players that wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t return.
Linglet, Morrison,Mc Monagle. As I said it’s not a wish list, but these could happen.
You could be right - given there ages off ice opportunities may arise (I got the impression from the Riley interview that an opportunity opened up rather than he was looking around to retire)
Having said that I thought I saw that McMonagle was playing elsewhere - Italy? - but no announcement and not on EP

Wannabe2

Next season will be anyone's league. There will be tonnes of different players and managers.
Totally agree, it’s going to be a lottery and a different scenario, but one things for sure we will be in the mix and hopefully leading the way as that’s now our way. Hang in there guys it’s a very tough time at the moment, so please stay strong, and never forget that very true saying. Good things come to those who wait, Stay Safe and looking forward to the time I can say, Happy Hockey Days.

Kevlar68

Maybe Myers, Richardson, Dixon all will be one year older by the time our season comes around and about the same age as our previous retired players.
But let's not forget, other teams in EIHL will be encountering the same so whenever the next season is I think it will be exciting as I think all the teams will be mainly unknown faces to the league.

pjj365

Announced today Josh Batch has completed part 2 (of 6) in his financial advisor exams. Conceivable that with not playing and more time to devote to exams he could be fully qualified be next August - another retirement?

kingmo19.1

I think a fair few will move on either through natural retirement or having their interests drawn in other directions. If a player is out of the game for 12-18 months (hopefully it’s not that long) and has explored other interests that are working then it’s not out of the question he could decide to call it quits - especially if that’s the sort of thing he’d be looking to do anyway in w couple of years.

BostonBart22

Announced today Josh Batch has completed part 2 (of 6) in his financial advisor exams. Conceivable that with not playing and more time to devote to exams he could be fully qualified be next August - another retirement?
Think Josh will hang around for his much deserved testimonial, thats if he is needed of course......off subject good to see 31000 fans at NZ V Australia rugby on the weekend, just shows some goverments acted swiftly in all this mess