RIP Manchester Phoenix

Thread starter #1
Looks like it's the end of the Manchester Phoenix....

https://www.manchesterphoenix.co.uk/news/2850/end-era

Looks like since they lost their home ice to the Storm they've slowly been killed off. It's always sad to lose a hockey club.

Where does this leave the EPIHL? At 9 teams perhaps, or will one of the big NIHL teams make a step up?
(I'm looking at you Blackburn with your 3000 seater arena)

James

Administrator
Its worth pointing out they didn't lose their home ice to the Storm, their owner Neil Morris had a hissy fit and pulled the club from Altrincham, seemingly thinking having somewhere to play was less important than his ego. Storm were then formed as the rink had no senior team and a space was made available in the Elite due to Hull folding. Very sad when a club is lost (there is still a chance someone will step in and save them) but following the saga, the reasons appear to be mismanagement and an owner who makes the last few previous Devils owners look like paragons of virtue.

matbur

I'd have long-term worries about Manchester Storm too, they're apparently moving into a new facility in Eastlands area of Manchester but it's only going to be 1000-seater!

dave

It was the phoenix not storm going to Eastlands but that was a bluff/false promise. Storm staying in Alty and that has plans to refurb...

Last edited:

matbur

Yeah sure, when I first became interested in UK hockey I was just surprised that Manchester Storm weren't actually in Manchester.

pjj365

A sad day

Whatever the facts about their leaving Altrincham the provided the shelter between the Storm(s) for Manchester hockey

Without them the there would probably be no new Storm

James

Administrator
There but for a bit of good fortune and some guys in Canada was the Devils. Very sad for the fans and the league in general. Great to see the support coming in from other teams. Phoenix season tickets will be honoured for entry at Steeldogs, Tigers and Deeside Dragons games (so far)

terry hunt

Its worth pointing out they didn't lose their home ice to the Storm, their owner Neil Morris had a hissy fit and pulled the club from Altrincham, seemingly thinking having somewhere to play was less important than his ego. Storm were then formed as the rink had no senior team and a space was made available in the Elite due to Hull folding. Very sad when a club is lost (there is still a chance someone will step in and save them) but following the saga, the reasons appear to be mismanagement and an owner who makes the last few previous Devils owners look like paragons of virtue.
He sounds like a typical ice hockey club owner(Devils excepted of course)