Rule Changes this Season

TheStub

Thread starter #1
Time to start seeing what we have seen change, as the actual rule book isn't too available (and I haven't bought a powerplay this season yet).

Am I wrong in thinking we have brought in Offensive Zone faceoffs on a penalty. So, if you gain the man advantage, the first faceoff after the penalty takes place in the offensive zone. I'm about to get told we brought that in last season :lol:

Also - what rules would we like to see brought over. I like the 'no line change if you ice the puck' rule, that came in last season in the NHL. Really makes icing and defensive play a lot more strategic - no just dumping the puck to get some fresh legs out.

So, what you seen and what would you like to see?

Gazza272

TheStub said:
Time to start seeing what we have seen change, as the actual rule book isn't too available (and I haven't bought a powerplay this season yet).

Am I wrong in thinking we have brought in Offensive Zone faceoffs on a penalty. So, if you gain the man advantage, the first faceoff after the penalty takes place in the offensive zone. I'm about to get told we brought that in last season :lol:

Also - what rules would we like to see brought over. I like the 'no line change if you ice the puck' rule, that came in last season in the NHL. Really makes icing and defensive play a lot more strategic - no just dumping the puck to get some fresh legs out.

So, what you seen and what would you like to see?

The offensive zone draw on a powerplay was implemented in the EIHL this year, we didnt have it last year. We have had the no line change on an icing for a few seasons though.

As for other rules, i'm not really sure. I'm happy we dont have the silly goaltender trapazoid as that just seems a pointless thing to have implemented into the NHL.

What i really would like to see called more is guys who drop the gloves to get a 10 minute misconduct if the other guy doesnt, the other week against Hull one of their D men just started unloading on Miller in the corner and somehow they came away with the same penalties.

Rempel16

I think they should get rid of the 10min instigator rule to be honest, it basically gives the smaller guys freedom to do what they like until the game is over.

Last year we got penalised for it a few times, but really if Finnerty, B.Richardson, Latulippe, Michel, Hewitt etc mouth off they know that nothing is going to happen to them, they own the game pretty much, whereas, should a tough guy say enough is enough and no-choice them into fighting then he should be able to do this without worrying about getting an extra 10 mins.

Rempel16 said:
I think they should get rid of the 10min instigator rule to be honest, it basically gives the smaller guys freedom to do what they like until the game is over.

Last year we got penalised for it a few times, but really if Finnerty, B.Richardson, Latulippe, Michel, Hewitt etc mouth off they know that nothing is going to happen to them, they own the game pretty much, whereas, should a tough guy say enough is enough and no-choice them into fighting then he should be able to do this without worrying about getting an extra 10 mins.
i disagree with that, i think it should stay so that the game has an edge to it, i think the game brings that little bit of edge to it when some guys go around anoying people, if that rule is taken out then we would see more incidents like the Michel - Knight incident the other week.

We could see more cheap shots and more potential inuries with guys jumping people without recieving 10 minutes in the box, i would keep that rule

TheStub

Thread starter #5
The instigator rules works, provided that it is applied :lol:

I hadn't realised we had the "no line change on icing" rule. It obviously isn't the same impact it has on the NHL :lol: Touch icing, offensive zone faces offs on pen, and no line change on icing were the rules that I liked in the NHL changes.

They make it a little more interesting, and add to the excitement.

I agree that the trapezoid should not be seen over here. Why shouldn't the net minder be allowed to play the puck? It is just fuel to teams that want to play dump and chase.

The one rule I would like to see scrapped though is the "delay of game penalty" for putting the puck over the plexi in your own half (not that this was called correctly against Sheffield I grant you!).

But I would call this like an icing rule - the team responsible for putting the puck out cannot change their line (so that way this tactic could not be used to get fresh legs on the ice, but the opposition could) - and the face off should always be in the defensive zone of responsible team, again just like the ice rule. But the 2 min penalty is way too harsh for this sort of thing, as generally no players look to put the puck over the plexi on purpose.

This rule stung us big time for the Titans Summer Cup Play Off final against Swindon this year - but I have never liked the rule anyway.

TheStub said:
I hadn't realised we had the "no line change on icing" rule.
You obviously do not sit by the away benches then - some teams, especially Sheffield last season, were notorious for trying to sneak a change even though they had iced the puck - luckily we tend to have some sharp eyed lino's (at times :eek: ) in Cardiff and they would spot which players were on the ice during an "icing" - it is funny to watch some players argue this at times though.

TheStub

Thread starter #8
Never actually noticed - although I have already seen as many games this season as I managed last (thank you leg).

I agree with the delay of game calls. What is really stupid (IMHO) is we have taken the rule from America, but not the plexi height. Our plexi is a fair bit lower (and not standardised) in the UK, so pucks that just go out here would have stayed in over there.

I like the alternative you give though. That seems a lot fairer - after all the delay of game calls are totally inappropriate. You could argue that it should be 2 minutes for icing the puck - the game is usually delayed as long.

the delay of game penalty is a good on IMO, it stops defenders just hitting the puck over the boards for a rest so they ice the puck and cant change anywhoos, it rewards the offence for working hard in the opposition end. It also stops goalies deliberatly deflecting the puck over the boards or hitting the puck in the air with there stick straight out of play, i think its a decent rule, shame the wrong call was made saturday

TheStub

Thread starter #10
Cookies_naughtyboy said:
the delay of game penalty is a good on IMO, it stops defenders just hitting the puck over the boards for a rest so they ice the puck and cant change anywhoos, it rewards the offence for working hard in the opposition end. It also stops goalies deliberatly deflecting the puck over the boards or hitting the puck in the air with there stick straight out of play, i think its a decent rule, shame the wrong call was made saturday
I like Dwoods' idea, making it like an icing. IMO, we have a lot of penalties where the puck accidentally left play (due to our short plexi) I think and a powerplay follows.

Either set a minimum height for the plexi, or make hitting the puck directly out of play have the same sanction as icing (no line change, defensive zone faceoff). I think that fairly penalises the offence.

davew

personally.i like the delay of game calls, as said not the oops of a mistake darnell made on saturday granted.
Why? It should encourage players to keep the puck on the ice surface, netting and plexi are designed as protective equipment for spectators NOT an extension of the playing surface..ideally I'd like the rule to extend to ANY puck hitting above the half boards...as it is skill in puck handling that determines if you are a good or a great player.

davew said:
personally.i like the delay of game calls, as said not the oops of a mistake darnell made on saturday granted.
Why? It should encourage players to keep the puck on the ice surface, netting and plexi are designed as protective equipment for spectators NOT an extension of the playing surface..ideally I'd like the rule to extend to ANY puck hitting above the half boards...as it is skill in puck handling that determines if you are a good or a great player.
i dont think it should apply to the whole ice as the benchs are so much shorter than the plexi so would you call that 1? they way it is now just helps reward the team for hard work and effort in the opposition end, if it happens like it did to Michel then its just daft as he was shooting at goal as we were changing and then gets a penalty

davew said:
Abosulte crazy idea...I think you can tell that you have never played the game Dave...it would be like playing football but never allowing the ball to come off the floor. Of course the plexi, netting etc is part of the "playing surface".

As already mentioned, if we are to keep this delay of game call then we should standardise the size of the plexi. I personally think calling it as an "icing call" and not allowing the line change, plus face off in your own defensive zone is sufficient enough to prevent players from dumping it over the plexi on purpose. Plus, before this delay of game rule was brough in for the UK, did anyone ever really see players deliberately send the puck over the plexi in order to get a line change etc? I can honestly say that I never saw that happen.

Dwoods said:
davew said:
Abosulte crazy idea...I think you can tell that you have never played the game Dave...it would be like playing football but never allowing the ball to come off the floor. Of course the plexi, netting etc is part of the "playing surface".

As already mentioned, if we are to keep this delay of game call then we should standardise the size of the plexi. I personally think calling it as an "icing call" and not allowing the line change, plus face off in your own defensive zone is sufficient enough to prevent players from dumping it over the plexi on purpose. Plus, before this delay of game rule was brough in for the UK, did anyone ever really see players deliberately send the puck over the plexi in order to get a line change etc? I can honestly say that I never saw that happen.
it was mainly the keepers who would deliberatly hit the puck out of play to allow a stoppage if they seen there players were tired, when a puck was shot they would stick it high enough to get a stoppage of play, they cant do this now or its delay of game. some keepers would bat the puck out of the air if it was in front of them,

Gazza272

Cookies_naughtyboy said:
Dwoods said:
davew said:

it was mainly the keepers who would deliberatly hit the puck out of play to allow a stoppage if they seen there players were tired, when a puck was shot they would stick it high enough to get a stoppage of play, they cant do this now or its delay of game. some keepers would bat the puck out of the air if it was in front of them,
The rule for delay of game for hitting the puck over the plexi or even into the bench has always been there for goaltenders.

It was only strengthened to bring skaters in after the lockout.

Gazza272

Cookies_naughtyboy said:
I thought the rule of a keeper batting the puck out of the Air and going over the plexi was brought in last year? maybe im wrong

Nope Jason Cugnet got caught a few times hitting the puck straight into the bench, goalies have always had to make sure they hit the glass. Only outskaters were penalised for it after the lockout in the NHL

Should just have kept it to goalies though, especially as people say some plexi is lower in some rinks than others.

Neither icing the puck nor hitting it over the plexi....delays the continuance of the match more than the excessive whinging by captains of teams to the referee... after a penalty has been called and administered on one of his players. Best example / worst offender...former Devil, Jonathan Phillips.

steve

sorry but the automatic instigator misconduct is an idiotic penalty. 17mins for the guy who steps up to the 'agitator' and 5 usually for the other player. given the quality of refereeing in this league, and the way players like b.richardson, finnerty, even latulippe at times, can misbehave, to punish someone for putting a stop to it - as the likes of jarvo and maciver have in the past, is totally unfair.

if your going to be a jerk on the ice, expect people to come after you!

the league should be coming down on those who 'attack' players i.e. knight, sharp. they should not be punishing a player who forces a fight by dropping the gloves. extra 2mins power play, fair enough.

rant over.

Agreed....I think a 2 minute instigator penalty would suffice. I'm not a fan of the element of hockey that lets the cheapshotters get away with it. Hopefully the 2 min instigator would be balanced out by a penalty for the cheapshot.

It's one of the reasons we've lost a number of character players from our league.

If a player uses excesive roughness (eg Knight continueing to punch Michel) then that can be an additional penalty.

At the moment we've lost the protection of players as tough guys don't want to hurt their team. That's a bad situation IMO and will lead to more dangerous play and injuries.

MacIver played a very good protective role for us in the early part of last season and ended up getting 17 min pens for helping out his team-mate. 17 minutes for a fight which is far less dangerous (and more fun for the crowd) than a dangerous hit or slash etc.