Rumour mill

jenks33

If Bowns does leaves; would people prefer Ben O'Connor or Ben Davies?
Definitely Ben Davies. I dont think O’Connor is anywhere near the level he used to be. He’s still a good British D man but he was a liability for Sheffield last year defensively.
I’ve said it before I think Ben Davies is underrated. He skates like an import and his work ethic is infectious. I’ll be happy if he’s with us next season

Devils86

Where has that come from due a testimonial next year
He's also been posting on social media with Storm gear - looks like a wind up off the back of an initial rumour. Can't see why he would want to go, or why Devils wouldn't want him to stay. So until something is confirmed I'm not going to fret too much.

Wannabe2

Can’t see Josh going anywhere, and hope he stays. I think Ben O,Connor to Guildford, Ben Davies to us, Sam Jones from Fife to Steelers. That’s just a guess, nothing else.

Mooney#16

With the right D partner Ben O’Connor can be a very good player bordering on top defenceman in this league. Paired with Davey Phillips they are both god awful and for the life of me I just can’t get my head around Sheffield’s coaching of O’Connor.

If for whatever reason Fournier perhaps was not returning I’d snap your hand off to pair O’Connor up with Ritchie. Ritchie has been making his partners stars for years in this league.

moggy#9

With the right D partner Ben O’Connor can be a very good player bordering on top defenceman in this league. Paired with Davey Phillips they are both god awful and for the life of me I just can’t get my head around Sheffield’s coaching of O’Connor.

If for whatever reason Fournier perhaps was not returning I’d snap your hand off to pair O’Connor up with Ritchie. Ritchie has been making his partners stars for years in this league.
As I've said before, the key for the devils is continuity planning. If thought Jones would be a work in progress successor to Richardson on defence, but O'Connor would do nicely - I can't see it happening though. I really like the idea of Ben Davies. As well as being a local product, he seems to be hard working dependable and able to deal with pressure situations.

James

Administrator
I doubt we will get any more signing news until they announce the new coach. He must surely have an input on new signings.
I'm not so sure. In the hockey world I believe it's common for the coach not to recruit and Lord hinted in his leaving press conference that some of last years team have probably already re-signed

Wannabe2

It was said that more players had signed so that’s not a issue for the incoming coach, also players signing is probably higher on the agenda, as we already have the personnel to do that, and as James says the new coach may just do that coach.

pjj365

James is right when it comes to the outside world - it's really only in the EIHL where coaches are so involved in recruitment.

With the bulk of the core signed and the newbies "on the hook" ( per Lordo presser) we can afford to take a non recruiting coach to just coach and he can then "learn" for next season. On this basis we should not need to wait for a new coach for new announcements

Wannabe2

It’s cat and mouse though, no one wants to show anyone too much about their signings, and I think we have shown more than anyone so far. There’s bags of time at the moment, seeing as we are all still in limbo, at least we know we are in very good hands and there’s no sweat.