Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2018/19

I love it when fans say.. The players are waiting to see if there getting a offer from higher leagues and if not they will sign for us..
Well that's bullshit. If they don't wanna be here don't. Don't use us a second choice.

Look at the two joeys signed n ready for next year already. Why? Cox they love the club and the city and that's the way it should be.

Wannabe2

Well it’s obvious that they Cox the club, otherwise they wouldn’t be here, but it’s a fact of life that some coaches play a waiting game to see who else comes along. Over the years we have signed many players late into the close season after they have waited to see what’s on offer,and mainly players who have made a big difference, and that certainly hasn’t been bullshit but fact. It’s a short career. and money is a huge factor, and many clubs can offer bigger salaries than us. Many of our players would not have had Cardiff at the top of their list, including players who have spent many years here. So do we say if your wish is to play in the NHL and you don’t make it, then sod off we ain’t second choice to anyone.

Devil_Abroad

I love it when fans say.. The players are waiting to see if there getting a offer from higher leagues and if not they will sign for us..
Well that's bullshit. If they don't wanna be here don't. Don't use us a second choice.

Look at the two joeys signed n ready for next year already. Why? Cox they love the club and the city and that's the way it should be.
Our club is talking today to players they hope to be signing in 2-3 years’ time; that’s foresight; that’s good practice; that’s building future success.

I’d rather that than a ‘come and play for us now, no? Well forget it then’ pathway

I prefer the type of management we have right now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gazza272

if we took your line of thinking we would have never signed Andrew Lord. Or Craig Weller, Or Tyson Strachan.........

I mean as a devil's player why let them decide what they want? We as a club make that decision if we want them or not.

You don't see footballers saying to the manager or owner.
Let me see if real Madrid or man utd want me and if they don't il sign for u.

It's embarrassing

I mean as a devil's player why let them decide what they want? We as a club make that decision if we want them or not.

It's embarrassing
It's also reality, Strachan wouldn't have had this league as first choice! He was looking for an AHL deal.

It didn't happen and you reaped the benefits.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gazza272

I mean as a devil's player why let them decide what they want?
Because they are free agents with a limited career lifespan. They aren't going to be doing this job much past 35, and in fact as we have seen with Liam Stewart your career could be affected in a split second.

Therefor you try and maximise your earnings/experiences. And the Devils are a club smart enough to respect and recognise that.

I'm not sure what you do for a living, but I assume given your stance on this issue you have never applied for another job for more money/better opportunities?

Wannabe2

It's embarrassing
It ain’t football, it’s as far apart as chalk and cheese in its workings, in football they buy a player, we don’t, in hockey they can hand in notice to leave, in football the Player is the property of the club, there’s just no comparisons. Hockey clubs in our league have a different view, if a player that signed for the Devils then got offered a bigger opportunity to join a bigger club, the Devils wouldn’t stand in their way, and would wish them well. We don’t own players we just offer them a contract, we can cancel contracts mid season and so can they, it’s the way it is.

Kevlar68

No point in rushing to sign players and then another player you may want becomes available but then can't sign them. As long as all players you want to sign are approached and offers made then its a good start, negotiations then may be taking place between club and player so it may take time especially if that player has to relocate.

Some folk have a wild misperception that the EIHL is more prestigious than it really is. I highly doubt that any North American player dreams of their career taking a path that leads to them playing professional hockey in the UK. Of course players wait to see if there are offers from better or preferred leagues before signing in the EIHL... That's why a lot of EIHL contracts have clauses built in that allow players to leave at very short notice if a better opportunity arises... Because it knows what it is. I would prefer for the league to move in the direction of becoming a stepping stone to better leagues, as opposed to a league that is the last stepping stone before retirement... Saying that the club should only sign players who pick the Devils as their first choice would mean eliminating the overwhelming majority of imports that end up here...

Last edited:

Devil_Abroad

It's embarrassing
They (their agents) negotiate a better deal by saying ‘this team want me so what will you offer to keep me’ - the club then improves the offer and increases the buy out clause if they want to keep the player.

The player will almost always want to leave the minute a better club from a better league comes along and will expect his club to negotiate a fair release base on his release clause

Football works differently but in essence the players behave in the same way. Are you saying to clubs like Utd / City / Spurs / Liverpool that if a player seeks a transfer because they have an offer from a different club they should just let them go without compensation?

Obviously this is different to hockey as has been said previously - our Coach and Owners would encourage not stop players moving to better leagues.

So as a club of course they make a decision whether they wan a player or not - but the player then has to agree! If they are seeking a chance in a better league and our club feels they can wait on them then why not? If in the end they choose us then great!

Devils86

The aim therefore is to make Cardiff THE destination for players. If they find themselves in the UK or without an offer from other Euro leagues then the Devils are the team to play for.

With the education side of things, the city, people and potential to win trophies...it’s a good sell.

Even if you don’t get the very best players as long as you secure the best of the available players then you are on to a winner. (Although that’s a VERY simplistic way of putting it!)

Citywise Manchester has the biggest draw, MK/Guildford get that Lobdon bonus.

Manchester only use Salford University though, Nottingham use Loughborough which is the highest ranked uni any team has on offer.

Devils86

I’d say the overall package though - with CHL added in, makes a good pitch. It obviously seems to work.

Cardiff isn’t that far from London time wise - I’m glad I live here rather than in MK!

I’d say the overall package though - with CHL added in, makes a good pitch. It obviously seems to work.

Cardiff isn’t that far from London time wise - I’m glad I live here rather than in MK!
You can pay competetive salary, recent winning record, European tests. A good package.

Devil_Abroad

One of the biggest advantages we hear for Cardiff is the way players are looked after and how emphasis is put on the right ‘dressing room’ character when looking at player cvs. If players like the way they are treated by the club, the management, the coach and other players then they will not only want to stay they will also share that knowledge with the wider hockey community; hence why quite a few from within the EIHL make it known they’d like to move to the Bay - apparently.

We may not always go for the flashy high profile type players who want to join the team because of the very fact they won’t ‘fit’ the mould.

Temme

I'm completely happy in my job but i'd leave immediately if someone came along and offered 3x the money, in reality it would shock you how often teams in EIHL hear "I'm waiting on some things to come back"

IE you're my last resort.