Rutkiss ...

kingmo19.1

Thread starter #1
Just wondering if that's the last we've seen of him since Duggan's arrival ?

Interesting Stats :-

Rutkiss G 11 G 1 A 1 Pts 2
Duggan G 11 G 1 A0 Pts 1

tim78

I think Rutkis is certainly on par, I've enjoyed watching him play.

Hopefully both remain devils and get more ice time.

Pondlife

Hopefully they both remain attached to the club for the future. Both classed as U23 brits so don't really impact the roster limits so let them develop and grow as they both have talent.

Ocko

It is unfair to compare these stats.

Most of Rutkis' games were when we were hot and scoring a tonne of goals. He was getting plenty of ice time and even playing with higher lines when the scoreline got out of hand.

Unfortunately for Duggan he was signed at the beginning of our slump and as such has been in a struggling team ever since.

There is no comparison in the two IMO - Duggan's arrival effectively ended Rutkis run as the 12th forward and he slips down the pecking order. Duggan is on the cusp of the GB team and has played in Senior GB fixtures, Lord trusts him with regular shifts, he's been GB U20 and U18 Captain, and played in the top tier junior league in Sweden. Whilst Rutkis was only on the fringes of the U18 & U20 GB teams. Rutkis is still very raw (similar to how CJ looked), whilst Duggan looks every bit a potential top Brit for the future.

ASHIPP

Hoping that Toms is getting plenty of ice-time at Swindon and will be ready to re-join the Devils next season. A recent article from the Devils suggested that this was the plan. It is important to continue developing potential as well as giving league-ready young players like Moore and Duggan the chances they deserve. Would love to see Toms as a full-time Devil in the next couple of seasons.

Temme

Hoping that Toms is getting plenty of ice-time at Swindon and will be ready to re-join the Devils next season. A recent article from the Devils suggested that this was the plan. It is important to continue developing potential as well as giving league-ready young players like Moore and Duggan the chances they deserve. Would love to see Toms as a full-time Devil in the next couple of seasons.
The progression players like Rutkis make (or rather, may not make) will be interesting to see over the next 3-4 years, as the next batch of brits to come through as legitimate top 9 players at present is almost non existent.

The EPIHL folding means players like Rutkis spend a year playing against 99% part time players bagging up points for fun in the NIHL.

The difference in caliber between EIHL & NIHL is SEISMIC, and frankly dangerous for any of these youngsters going to the 'next step'.

I'm going to get some stick for saying this, but Rutkis won't develop anything sitting in the NIHL.
Not to call out the difference in standard as i've never seen him play, or the individual, but there's a guy that weighs 322lbs playing there (23 stone).

What Sheffield have managed to do with Shudra is a better idea, loaning him to an EIHL team to 'develop', although how many shifts he sees there i couldn't answer.

Jonesy83

What do you think will happen with Moore next season?

Am I right in thinking this is his last season classed as an U23 Brit?

If Devils decided to keep him, does that mean we have to lose one of Myers, Batch, Bowns, Murdy or Richie?
As we can only play 5 over 23 Brits (unless we play an import short or rota a Brit as our spare).

Temme

What do you think will happen with Moore next season?

Am I right in thinking this is his last season classed as an U23 Brit?

If Devils decided to keep him, does that mean we have to lose one of Myers, Batch, Bowns, Murdy or Richie?
As we can only play 5 over 23 Brits (unless we play an import short or rota a Brit as our spare).
I've asked this myself, and even put it to RedArmyRoundUp as to what they would think will happen.
The general consensus from Paul, Shaun & Aaron is lawday may be the new back-up and Murdy will unfortunately be the guy to suffer.

Obviously nobody knows though; but yes you are right in that we would have to lose one of our Over 23 Brits.

OR, we could run all 6 and drop an import - whilst this is highly unlikely, as we would be an import short on everyone else, it means we could still carry a spare import, and even ice him when one of the O23 brits gets injured -

and also, would free up ££ which could be spent to upgrade on the 1 fewer imports that we do have.

Jonesy83

I've asked this myself, and even put it to RedArmyRoundUp as to what they would think will happen.
The general consensus from Paul, Shaun & Aaron is lawday may be the new back-up and Murdy will unfortunately be the guy to suffer.

Obviously nobody knows though; but yes you are right in that we would have to lose one of our Over 23 Brits.
This was the first thing that went through my head whilst thinking about it.

Temme

Don't know where to find them written down as 'fact' however to simplify the rules:

My understanding of them (which may well be very wrong):

14 'import' players
+5 british trained players
___
that figure of '19' players can be made up of no more than 14 'imports', however should an import be injured a 'brit' can fill in.
(You could field 10 Over 23 Brits if you wanted to, but then only 9 imports would be allowed)

+ up to 3 U23 british trained players to complete the 22.

Match night roster may not exceed 22 players.

pjj365

Whilst I agree about the age discrimination how many times have we criticised the EIHL for not developing young players

This develpoment will help here but at a cost. If the youngster does not meet the team needs he will be gassed at 24. If he does make the grade then the retirement of an older Brit will be brought on - maybe prematurely

Unfortunately we can't have everything - it's the players being gassed I feel sorry for

Wannabe2

Always liked watching Rutkis play, there was always honesty, innocence, and a abundance of energy plus wanting to impress in his play. Good young lad with plenty of skill, and a pleasure to watch.

Temme

The U23 idea for me is a step in the right direction, but not quite perfect.

I have no clue what 'perfect' looks like, either though.

Hopefully there'll be some tweaks regarding something like minimum gametime? icetime per game?

On second thoughts those things sound stupid to even suggest in a professional league.

Bring back the EPIHL.

Last edited:

Ocko

The U23 rule would be great if it was tweaked.

The problem as mentioned already; what happens when said Brit reaches age 23? Are they likely to be ready to replace the established Brit? Very unlikely. But even if they are, that established Brit may still be in their peak, worthy of a roster slot and shown great commitment - so why should they be released just so another new U23 can be signed to sit on the bench?

A very simple tweak that would work and be very effective, is to keep the U23 rule, but to add in the caveat that you can keep that U23 Brit past the age of 23 for as long as you want, so long as they have been at the club continuously since before they turned 23 (you could even add in that it has to be for an entire season or a set amount of games prior to age 23). That gives the club the incentive to keep hold of and develop their players. It encourages them to take them on players young and really develop them.